Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT VW
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
kinda cool, got a bunch a VW racers building a drag bug on now....
Brett W
I don't know who this guy was that built the engine, but I'll be damned if I am gonna pay 15k for a motor to lock up in the garage.
Gint
Watchin it...

Jesse pulled up in a Carrera GT.
Aaron Cox
what time PST?
machina
too bad for that guy but it was cool as sh*t, you could hear the bearing seize as they were testing running...

they had gene berg's son and another VW racer pull the motor, tear it down, diagnose the problem, and rebuild the motor and had it running that night.

also jesse came to work in his carrera gt, bentley coupe, etc...
Gint
10 second bug!
nsyr
Caught the end of it. what tranny did they use?
Michael N
Looks like it starts at 9pm pacific. DVR will record......
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Michael N @ Oct 10 2005, 08:24 PM)
Looks like it starts at 9pm pacific. DVR will record......

cool.
Dr. Roger
$21,330.00 ... huh.gif

Maybe my next project. laugh.gif cool.gif
vortrex
that kid who built the motor looked 17.
rick 918-S
Watched it.. Coool cool_shades.gif
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (vortrex @ Oct 10 2005, 11:02 PM)
that kid who built the motor looked 17.

Hey Mike, make sure an old guy helps you build yours. LOL

The guy who ended up building it right (the second time) was Berg's son.
Brett W
They used some sort of Rancho gear box.

Jesse's Carrera GT is a sweet looking ride. The Bronze wheels look really good on the black car.
URY914
There is a write up in this months Hot VW magazine about building of the car and an interview with Jesse. Seems he used to be big into VW's.

P
olav

At the very begining when the builders walked in I thought I saw a 914 in the background.

Didn't see it again though.
Jake Raby
All die hard fabricators are true VW enthusiasts.. What other car can you do such a vast amount of different vehicles with???
Britain Smith
Is the opinion that the motor was really worth $15K? I can believe it, I just wanna confirm.

-Britain
jonwatts
Watched it this morning. The big guy (Jack) was the guy that put the $15k figure on the complete, turbo'd motor. He also diagnosed and fixed the bearing failure.

I like how VW guys set themselves apart. Like Jesse said, they're cheap laugh.gif but also they're careful and respectful of the cars, even when they're cutting them up.

Gearren
didn't someone say they were going to have a 914 on the show awhile ago, is this true?
Jake Raby
15K doesn't go very far...

remember the sengine started out with 57 HP at best and was boosted to over 500 HP..

I told you guys- The VW crowd spends money!

So does the 356 crowd..... They are slamming TIVs of huge displacements in cars on a daily basis...

I have 7 in my queue now all desitned for 356 applications- one is 2880cc!
DBCooper
A year or so ago Jesse bought an old school Cal Look bug from a guy near here. Real nice car that evidently looked just like one he'd had when younger, Seafoam Green, same wheels, etc. Aircooled cars just seem to stick with you.
bd1308
i think a blue karmann convertable is real nice....
vortrex
QUOTE (Paul Illick @ Oct 12 2005, 05:00 AM)
A year or so ago Jesse bought an old school Cal Look bug from a guy near here. Real nice car that evidently looked just like one he'd had when younger, Seafoam Green, same wheels, etc. Aircooled cars just seem to stick with you.

they showed jesse pulling up in that car to the garage one day during the build.
Dad Roberts
We were there when the cops busted him biggrin.gif .....too kool. Definately NOT staged. Uh, officer........we're taping a TV show......you've never heard of Monster Garage? But......but....but biggrin.gif . Nice ticket biggrin.gif . He pulled into the burger joint lot and the crowd mobbed him. He walked around lookin at cars and signed autographs for about an hour then split in his Chebby pickup.............Dad
Mr.C
I met Jason Ransbottom a few weeks back before the show aired. Thanks to him I now have a front beam for my bus.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.