Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You want to Left foot brake
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rough_Rider
A couple of folks have asked me about left foot braking & what i did to my 14 to make it easier.

I'm not going to tell you if LFB is better than right foot. There are other race tecnique boards debating that one.
Me i use both left & right feet just not at same time. wink.gif

In the 14 i found my left foot had to move a great distance to get to the brake so easiest solution was to extend the pedal area. Below is the outcome.

What's it made of? 3/16th Titanium plate. (Yes its a b**tch to cut with hand tools)
Why titanium? stiffest material i could find, wanted to minimise pedal twisting.
Do i ever catch feet under pedal, like when on clutch or gas. Not Yet!! But i do drive with very slim shoes (Not the racey slippers in pics wink.gif )
Is it curved? Yes there's a slight curve to follow the lines of the oem pedal.
How's it mounted? Drilled 6 holes in oem pedal, Countersunk holes in extension. Bolted the two together with grip washers & locknuts.
Measurments? Sorry haven't got a tape measure handy, but winged the shape in cardboard to make prototype templates.

Rough_Rider
Shows the thing in use. 3rd pic shows what you'd currently have todo. 4th is the difference.
bondo
Sweet! I always thought those pedals were a bit small. Nice driving shoes!
qa1142
white socks with nice shoes icon8.gif
Sammy
I tried left foot braking a couple weeks ago at an AX to try and keep the boost up.
Not sure if I'm a clutz or if that was just too many things to try at once, but all it did was make me screw up corners. Maybe on a bigger track where I would have time beween corners.......
Rough_Rider
For us non-turbo'd runners the advantage to LFB is quicker transition between brake & gas. Plus can keep on gas mid corner & gently alter line with brake.

For turbo's you can do the same thing transitioning between gas & brake faster. Sounds like what your aiming for is power braking. Gas & brake at same time, very tricky to achieve.
Trick to power braking is hold a steady throttle position not WOT. You'll need to use more brake than normal as your retarding the engine output as well as deceleration. Practice, practice, practice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.