Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Automatic 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Seventyfive914
Hey All. I've had my 914 project on the back burner for a while, and recently picked up a '73 VW Transporter with an automatic transaxle in it. Now please don't curse me for thinking about putting an automatic in a Porsche, but I've heard that the bus auto trannies are tough enough that people stick 'em in drag cars. So I can't help but wonder how much fun it would be to have a "point-and-shoot" 914. So does anyone know if I can flip the diff and bolt it up? Thanks for any assistance. -K-
Cap'n Krusty
Can't flip the diff, as I recall. Design problem. Use one from an Audi, though, with adapters. The Cap'n.
Rand
I'd rather have stick, but I always thought an automatic in a street-use v8 conversion would make a nice driver.

This reminded me of the Sportomatic. Pretty rare in a 914, but I guess a few of the 914-6 cars came with it.
bondo
A boxster tiptronic is the only auto worth putting in a 914, IMHO. biggrin.gif

I'd totally do it if I lost the use of my left leg.

The audi trans has been done, and was for sale here in Los Osos a while back. The guy that converted it told me he got adapters from KEP. It required minor massaging of the rear trunk floor.
914turboford
If I wanted an automatic I'd put in a drivetrain from a front wheel drive Chrysler 300. They are an inline design and some of those V6's were over 250 hp stock. Probaly get 30 mpg on the highway, too.
Brian
Mueller
QUOTE (914turboford @ Oct 11 2005, 02:43 PM)
If I wanted an automatic I'd put in a drivetrain from a front wheel drive Chrysler 300. They are an inline design and some of those V6's were over 250 hp stock. Probaly get 30 mpg on the highway, too.
Brian

someone is doing that right now...sorta, he is using a drivetrain from a Intrepid
Seventyfive914
Thanks for all your responses. So the Audi trans has a diff that can be flipped? What model Audi would I go scouting for in the bone yard, and what should I expect it to cost? The "tiptronic" was my first thought, but I'm afraid to even ask what one would cost. At any rate it certainly looks like the '73 Baywindow gets to keep it's tranny, unless I decide to transplant it into my '74 VW Westy.

PS - Anyone looking for a VW Baywindow roller with a body that's in great condition? -K-
ClayPerrine
There was a 914 here in the DFW area that had an AUDI 5000 automatic in it. The guy had bought the car new, and lost his left leg to diabetes. He had the Audi tranny installed, and it was really nicely done. Someone even scrounged up a 911 sporto brake pedal for it. It had the automatic shifter mounted where the manual shifter was, and everything looked factory installed.

It was a real dog with the worn 1.7L motor though.

If you want to do this, use a Audi 5000 box. That way you can put more HP into it later.
Mueller
So the Audi trans has a diff that can be flipped?

no need to, it goes the correct direction already...

I don;t think there is huge market for them, figure $100 or so depending on the wrecking yard
Cap'n Krusty
100 bucks? Excuse me? Try 10x that. They're a weak point, and good used ones sit in the yards about as long as it takes to get them out of the donor car. In fact, if you find an uncrashed Audi in a yard, it's probably there because of the tranny. The Cap'n
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 11 2005, 05:58 PM)
100 bucks? Excuse me? Try 10x that. They're a weak point, and good used ones sit in the yards about as long as it takes to get them out of the donor car. In fact, if you find an uncrashed Audi in a yard, it's probably there because of the tranny. The Cap'n

now tell him what they are really worth chairfall.gif
Seventyfive914
Thanks guys. So is the Audi trans a poor unit? I don't want to cough up a grand for potential grief. I have a fresh two litre with a pair of 36mm Dellortos that I'm going to install in my 914, so I'm expecting good performance even if I do go with an automatic trans. Anyone want to take a stab at what a "tiptronic" would cost? Interestingly, I have my '74 Westy hooked up with Audi 5000 series alloys. -K-
Mueller
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 11 2005, 05:58 PM)

Pick-n-pull prices smile.gif

I don't want to cough up a grand for potential grief

you could get a bulletproof transmission for free and you'll be spending more than a grand to get anything adapted unless you have plenty of tools or talanted freinds that owe you a bunch of favors smile.gif

for prices, ebay and craigslist for general ideas
Hammy
hijacked.gif
I remember my uncle telling me a story about when he was staying at his cousin's who was a Porsche mechanic up in Oregon.. Anyways, my uncle was driving his cousins 914-6 one day and parked it in a parking lot at a store somewhere. He came back out of the store and hopped back in the 914 only to discover it had no clutch! Incidentally he had hopped into a different teener with a sportomatic in it but of the same color.... said he nearly pissed himself biggrin.gif
jd74914
how many sportomatic 914's were made. i've only heard of about a few, anyone have the #'s.
Hammy
Very very very few. This page HERE claims only 2 are known to still exist.

Didn't VW have a similar clutchless design ?
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (Hammy @ Oct 11 2005, 08:15 PM)

Didn't VW have a similar clutchless design ?

yes
Seventyfive914
VW installed the "auto-stick" Beetles, and it was a piece-o-crapola as I understand it. Continually riddled with problems due to a poor design, I'm sure it was a real joy to owners of those vehicles so equipped. Thankfully there's no longer any real availablity of parts to service or repair those transmissions, and since they have such a fine reputation no one really screws with 'em anymore. I saw a "Tiptronic" on e-bay earlier that was removed from a Boxster to the tune of a mere $400.00 at last bid. The seller states in his ad copy that those gems ususally pull down around three to four large, but he's cutting this one loose for cheap. I've decided to leave well enough alone, and just re-install one of the original transaxles that I already own. Thanks for all the input. Regards, -K-
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.