Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Findings revealed by search feature...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rpmmaxxed
Didnt really find anything positive about the shocks.

Curious to know all of your guys experience with them, and what blows.

Thanks
Mueller
Generally they are too stiff right out the box and have a tendancy of going too soft with use.

if a totally stock car with just cruising in mind, stock type Boges work well.....

next step up would be Bilstiens and then Koni Yellows (that is my order, some like the Bil's better)

than again, some people like KYB's, but I doubt they have run other shocks or that there suspension has been thoughly gone thru and fine tuned.....

porschecb
I use KYB non adjust. I like them just fine and I am hard on them. biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Mueller @ Oct 11 2005, 11:23 AM)
Generally they are too stiff right out the box

agree.gif

KYB = Kill Your Back

to stiff, and i don't mean that in a good way ...
cool.gif Andy
tat2dphreak
I've got a set of rears with springs if you need them... they are stiff...
nebreitling
they are stiff, and not in a good 'performance' way. 140#s and Bilsteins rode smoother than stock springs and KYBs in my car. and they stuck to ground better.
SirAndy
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Oct 11 2005, 12:44 PM)
they are stiff, and not in a good 'performance' way.

"bouncy" is the word that comes to mind ...
GaroldShaffer
had them on my 73, didn't really care for them. On my 70 I have Koni yellow adjustables. Nice to be able to adjust how firm I need them for AXing then set them to full soft on the way home. Ahhhhh smile.gif
lapuwali
I have KYBs on my car courtesy of a previous owner. However, they produce a ride that's much better than the ride in my 912, which has Konis all round. However, the Konis are who knows how old, where the KYBs are likely less than 5 years old. The 914 also has a longer wheelbase than the 912, so it will naturally have a better ride, anyway. Certainly for just street use, the KYBs seem to be OK. I have yet to drive or ride in a 914 that's fully set up. My last 914 had Bilsteins, and I recall the ride as being fairly harsh.

I intend to fit Koni Yellows eventually, but the KYBs aren't so bad that new shocks aren't all that high on the list.
Brando
I had KYBs on the rear with stock springs. When they went... they went bad. every bump would make the rear window rattle and the doors bang against the body loud.
rpmmaxxed
How long do they generally last?
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (rpmmaxxed @ Oct 11 2005, 10:12 PM)
How long do they generally last?

probably longer than your back can handle them
BMartin914
KYB Gas Adjust are the bad ones. Get progressively stiffer as you go over bumps.

I believe they make other models, but the Gas Adjust are the bad ones.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (BMartin914 @ Oct 12 2005, 09:36 AM)
KYB Gas Adjust are the bad ones. Get progressively stiffer as you go over bumps.

I believe they make other models, but the Gas Adjust are the bad ones.

yea, they have KYBs that are higher end, but are the price of Bilsteins, and why would you choose KYBs over Bils? and I dunno if the higher end KYBs are made for the teener
maf914
QUOTE (Brando @ Oct 11 2005, 01:26 PM)
every bump would make the rear window rattle

My car has a good firm ride with Konis, but even they couldn't cure a lose rear window. I reset the window and the rattle was gone. laugh.gif
Joe Ricard
I finally gave mine away. Brand new to a friend who just needed shocks. Even picked them up, had to throw in some good transaxle mounts and a few other parts to seal the deal. Hmm guess I actually didn't give them away I paid to get him to take them. dry.gif
Tobra
I have Gas-a-justs that I put on the super beetle many years ago and on the 914 courtesy of the PO, with mystery springs(probably stock) Seems to do okay for just tooling around, but will be getting adjustable konis when I buy new struts and shocks. KYB makes and adjustable shock(AGX) but I seriously doubt if they are available for a dufunct air cooled vehicle.
Jeffs9146
When they went... they went bad. every bump would make the rear window rattle and the doors bang against the body loud.

I had a set that one of the front ones did that out of the box!!

I think thats when I realized I needed new fillings!! wacko.gif

Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.