Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This Sucks!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ClayPerrine
I have my car up in the air, and the tranny ready to come out so I can fix the clutch fork.

But I can't lift it out by myself. 20 years ago, I would have attempted it, but with age comes wisdom and the realization that Stupid hurts!.

So I sit here hoping one of my nephews calls me back so I can get it out.

headbang.gif
TINCAN914
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Oct 11 2005, 03:07 PM)
I have my car up in the air, and the tranny ready to come out so I can fix the clutch fork.

But I can't lift it out by myself.  20 years ago, I would have attempted it, but with age comes wisdom and the realization that Stupid hurts!.

So I sit here hoping one of my nephews calls me back so I can get it out.

headbang.gif

LOL!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Yes it does... Found that out last night. Insted of using the vise, I used Vise grips, feels like I broke the little finger. No tea for me.. dry.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Oct 11 2005, 04:07 PM)
But I can't lift it out by myself.

you don't have to ...
just slide your beer-belly under it and undo the bolts!
biggrin.gif

on a more serious note, i *have* used a floorjack to balance it, works surprisingly well when you're working all by yourself ...
smash.gif Andy
ClayPerrine
That works great when the car is on Jackstands... but the car is 6 feet in the air on the lift with a pole jack under the engine. I have not made it to harbor freight to buy a tranny jack yet.

headbang.gif

Oh.. and I am 41 years old, and I have a 34 inch waist. No beer belly to balance the tranny on..... biggrin.gif
Gint
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Oct 11 2005, 05:14 PM)
That works great when the car is on Jackstands... but the car is 6 feet in the air on the lift with a pole jack under the engine. I have not made it to harbor freight to buy a tranny jack yet.

headbang.gif

Oh.. and I am 41 years old, and I have a 34 inch waist. No beer belly to balance the tranny on..... biggrin.gif

You could rest it on yer head...
ClayPerrine
My nephew called. He is coming over and we are going to pull the tranny!!!! boldblue.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Gint @ Oct 11 2005, 05:34 PM)
That works great when the car is on Jackstands... but the car is 6 feet in the air on the lift with a pole jack under the engine.   I have not made it to harbor freight to buy a tranny jack yet.

headbang.gif

Oh.. and I am 41 years old, and I have a 34 inch waist.  No beer belly to balance the tranny on.....   biggrin.gif

Not flat enough.....
Gint
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Oct 11 2005, 05:35 PM)
That works great when the car is on Jackstands... but the car is 6 feet in the air on the lift with a pole jack under the engine.   I have not made it to harbor freight to buy a tranny jack yet.

headbang.gif

Oh.. and I am 41 years old, and I have a 34 inch waist.  No beer belly to balance the tranny on.....   biggrin.gif

Not flat enough.....

Height is right though...
SLITS
I am 61 and have changed them myself on an overhead lift......Texans must be wusseys and belong to the whine & cheese crowd.

No hernia...just a shit pile of sweat and swearing..............

1.) Lower car to head height and balance on shoulder

2.) Walk to nearest table and drop tranny on it

3.) Call the hospital for drugs
horizontally-opposed
Wish I still had it, but used to use a short piece of 2x4 wood (maybe six to eight inches long) with an even shorter piece of 1x2 (maybe two inches long) nailed on one end of it.

smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif

Slipped that under the tranny and it held it perfectly...I could maneuver it in and out from under the car on a regular jack all by myself with ease.

monkeydance.gif

I still can picture that piece of scarred up wood 10 years later -- it was key in a year that saw me pull the transaxle four or five times! I just wish I had the ASCII skillz to draw it out for you...but then the above desciption ain't exactly tough to fathom.

FWIW...
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Gint @ Oct 11 2005, 04:37 PM)
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Oct 11 2005, 05:35 PM)

headbang.gif

Not flat enough.....

Height is right though...

hahahah......

must be nice being 50" tall... biggrin.gif
jr91472
Are you going to need your cut tranny case for adjusting the shift forks? I will be going out of town next week (via DFW) and could easily drop it off.

Let me know if you need anymore help.
spare time toys
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Oct 11 2005, 06:14 PM)

Oh.. and I am 41 years old, and I have a 34 inch waist.

But two inches higher you are a 42 lol2.gif lol2.gif Wish I would have surfed before I left work. I would have skipped the Union meeting and came over and helped that would have been more fun. When you going back in??? Tranny stabing party at Clays boldblue.gif boldblue.gif
ClayPerrine
Update... the tranny has been pulled.

And I am a dumbass......

The threads did NOT pull out. It just backed out. I forgot to torque it when I installed it..... headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

I put the ball stud back in, and this time I torqued it and used LOCKTITE!!!

We stabbed the tranny, and put the mounts back up.

Then we went inside and spent the rest of the evening playing HALO2.

Betty is standing right next to me reading this and calling me a "DORK".

I will reassemble the rest tomorrow.

And Slits..... finger.gif

I am SMARTER than you. I get help for something like this.....

jr91472
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Oct 11 2005, 07:45 PM)

The threads did NOT pull out. It just backed out. I forgot to torque it when I installed it..... headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

Painful....yes, but still good news. You'll be rolling again in no time.

glad is wasn't something worse.

hijacked.gif

Are either you or Betty going to be around your house Tuesday afternoon? I will be heading to DFW and wanted to return your tranny case. If that doesn't work, I return sometime on Friday. If that doesn't work, we'll do something else.

later
ClayPerrine
If you are talking about next Tuesday, I may not be there.

Just hang onto it until the Dinner on the 28th, and I will pick it up then.

BTW.... I should have my car up and running this afternoon, so I can drive it to the dinner!!! driving.gif
spare time toys
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Oct 12 2005, 09:44 AM)
Just hang onto it until the Dinner on the 28th, and I will pick it up then.

BTW.... I should have my car up and running this afternoon, so I can drive it to the dinner!!! driving.gif

If you still are not going drop it off at my place and Ill take it to the dinner for you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.