Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OFFICIAL GRASSHOPPER "RUSTORATION" THREAD
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
grasshopper
ok, heres my new project. this is going to go pretty slow, until i can get some decent time to get work done... huh.gif I hate school. ordered metal, and am waiting for it to arrive. I'm glad i didn't pay alot for this car, cause i found 100 percent more rust than I expected. things that looked solid, fell apart. lots of fabrication work. But i'm not afraid to fabricate stuff. I gotten pretty good. here are some pics that are more recent. Hope you enjoy this thread!!!!!!! biggrin.gif drivers side after digging
grasshopper
drivers side after cutting
grasshopper
template made.............no making fun rolleyes.gif
grasshopper
metal cut and hammered to shape.....old school smile.gif
grasshopper
havn't welded these pieces yet. and dont want to buy a 130 dollar piece to replace this wacko.gif sail panel passenger side
grasshopper
template
grasshopper
metal cut and formed.....thats a hard piece to make
grasshopper
passenger side firewall
grasshopper
metal
grasshopper
passenger front side floor solid smilie_pokal.gif
grasshopper
cant say the same about the drivers side blink.gif nice patch.....sorry about the andy style pic
grasshopper
patch removed ohmy.gif
i love porsche
looks like you have alot of work ahead

good luck and be sure to have patience!
grasshopper
did find something that made me a little happier though. steel fuel lines through the center tunnel cool.gif
SirAndy
well, that's going to be a lot of work, but you sure will learn A LOT about your car in the process ...

oh, and i highly recommend you buy a gallon or two of "Metal Ready" and spray the hell out of ANY surface rust you can find.
do that *before* you start patching the holes ...

smash.gif Andy
grasshopper
whoops, skipped a couple pics. Here are the templates after they were cut
grasshopper
and last one for now. here's a pic of me smoothing out the metal, before i bent them into place. and if you didn't know i was 14, you do now wink.gif
Rand
I was just about to say it... buy Andy beat me to it. Kill the rust under there before welding the patches on. I use Ospho and paint it with Hammerite 24 hours later.

Kudos for taking this on! smilie_pokal.gif
grasshopper
if you are wondering why i am working outside, its because no electricity has been run to the garage yet, cause its like 100 yards from the house. the garage is the best thing to happen when we moved biggrin.gif
Rand
Dang, I wish I had a garage like that. Outstanding.
Hammy
Yes, make SURE you use Ospho or metal ready or some kind of rust killer before you cover up or patch any rust, or else the rust will still grow. ohmy.gif

Good work... you've done a lot more so far than I've done on my car biggrin.gif
Allan
QUOTE (grasshopper @ Oct 12 2005, 04:33 PM)
if you didn't know i was 14, you do now wink.gif

Is that because of your looks or the fact that you are using a bench grinder teetering on a narrow piece of lumber slung between two saw horses? blink.gif
Mueller
way to go !!!!

it's awesome that you are going ahead with this, you'll be way ahead of your classmates doing a project like this.... smilie_pokal.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Headrage @ Oct 12 2005, 04:50 PM)

Is that because of your looks or the fact that you are using a bench grinder teetering on a narrow piece of lumber slung between two saw horses? blink.gif

ROFL alfred.gif
Gint
Bravo! clap.gif That's cool, seeing a 14 year old tackle that project. Keep at it.
SirAndy
and if you didn't know i was 14, you do now wink.gif

can't decide what i hate more, your guts or my age ...

when i was 14, all i was interested in was girls!
rolleyes.gif Andy
grasshopper
QUOTE (Headrage @ Oct 12 2005, 03:50 PM)

thanks, i like the encouragement finger.gif
Jeroen
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Allan
QUOTE (grasshopper @ Oct 12 2005, 05:40 PM)

Easy there tiger. Just having some fun. I think what you're doing is great. Ya got your work cut out for ya and I'm looking forward to watching your progress. Lemme know if ya need any sheet metal. I have a roller that gets cut up when somebody needs something... wink.gif
grasshopper
QUOTE (Headrage @ Oct 12 2005, 05:18 PM)
QUOTE (grasshopper @ Oct 12 2005, 05:40 PM)

Easy there tiger. Just having some fun. I think what you're doing is great. Ya got your work cut out for ya and I'm looking forward to watching your progress. Lemme know if ya need any sheet metal. I have a roller that gets cut up when somebody needs something... wink.gif

i know, i was just kiddin with you. thanks for the support
MoveQik

That is a friggin riot! I thought the same thing.

HUGE kudos on the task you have teken on! smilie_pokal.gif
Eric Taylor
Alright Man! It's going to feel so good when that body is painted smile.gif. Your way ahead of me age wise, I didn't wreck the 914 till I was 16:).
Eric
jd74914
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Oct 12 2005, 10:16 PM)

That is a friggin riot! I thought the same thing.

HUGE kudos on the task you have teken on! smilie_pokal.gif

I was thinking of the lack of gloves.

I always wear gloves now because I made a mistake one day and ground part of my middle finder off with a wire wheel. I'm only 17 BTW, so now offense.

I like the metal work, just make sure you are cutting out the rust until you hit good metal. I found that the patch plates I made always ended up being bigger that I originally though because of the hidden rust. Kepp up the good work. smilie_pokal.gif Also, if you don't have one already, I would suggest getting an anvil, it made my metal fabbing so much easier. cool.gif
Aaron Cox
BTDT....

cut off part of my fingernail and fingertips using an angle grinder....

bit i also weld in shorts and sandles...... lol2.gif
JeffBowlsby
Barry....You da Man.....what an inspiration you are to the rest of us. School is the way to the high road...don't write it off yet...

did find something that made me a little happier though. steel fuel lines through the center tunnel

Sorry to disappoint you, but those are the stock fuel lines. The front 2 ft or so of the lines are metal, transitioning to plastic.
JoeSharp
Hey Berry: How you doing with the new local now? Just rember what I told you. You know Joe and I will be moving south of you in the not to distant feature. By the time we get there you'll know more than us. This is really KOOL.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
jonwatts
QUOTE (Mueller @ Oct 12 2005, 05:04 PM)
way to go !!!!

it's awesome that you are going ahead with this, you'll be way ahead of your classmates doing a project like this.... smilie_pokal.gif

Imagine how many engine attempts you'd be up to if you started when you were 14!!!! wink.gif

Grasshopper, you're ahead of your time thinking the 914 is cool at your age.

michelko
Hi,
good work. Nice to see that young people also love this old beauty´s.

Cutting out the rusted pieces: be sure you go far enough, so you can weld your nice fabricated patches to solid metal. Otherwise you won´t be very happy. Guess how i know wink.gif

maybe you find this helpfull:

My Restoration Thread

Keep on your nice work, hope you can drive the car soon.

smilie_flagge6.gif
redshift
Barry, your enthusiasm is unreal, and you have a great eye buddy.

I had a great time this morning. When you get all your project stuff out of the way, I'll let you show me how to fix all my problems..

rolleyes.gif YAY!

Offer still stands if you want to drive my car around some.

smile.gif

Miles
grasshopper
haha thanks miles!!
michelko
Hi Barry,
here is the answer to the PM (don´t know how to append pic´s to pm´s, so i go this way).

I drilled out the spotwelds with a special drill. Surely you can find one at your flaps wink.gif .

These are availlable in 6 and 8mm. I used the 6mm one. Worked fine for me. Be carefull not to go to deep. You dont´t want to drill the metal below the console.
michelko
here is a shot of the console drilled out. you can nicely use the holes for welding in the console again.
michelko
good advice is: bracing the tub to keep the door gap in spec.

i used an bar that mounted between the safetybelt mount and the doorhinge mount.

You should also built a frame to reproduce the position of the console.
I use the engine mounts as fix points and did some additional measurement. Worked fine for me.
michelko

follow the link:

Pictures

If you need more (pic ore information) feel free to ask.

smilie_flagge6.gif
grasshopper
wow!! Thanks soooo much michelko. That will help me soo much. smilie_pokal.gif
grasshopper
ok, i got a question about the door vents... can i just remove them all together???? i found some nice sized rust holes around them on both sides..... heres a pic, thanks!!!
bondo
QUOTE (grasshopper @ Oct 22 2005, 08:30 AM)
ok, i got a question about the door vents... can i just remove them all together???? i found some nice sized rust holes around them on both sides..... heres a pic, thanks!!!

Yeah, but you'll lose the venting to the outside.. really only matters when you want to defrost the windows in the rain. Air won't have any way to get out, and if you open a window you'll get wet. smile.gif

Is that an 8N in the background? My grandfather had an 8N on his farm in South Dakota.. He used to give me rides on it (I was a city boy, so tractors were cool).
McMark
QUOTE (bondo @ Oct 22 2005, 08:13 AM)
ok, i got a question about the door vents... can i just remove them all together???? i found some nice sized rust holes around them on both sides.....  heres a pic, thanks!!!

Yeah, but you'll lose the venting to the outside.. really only matters when you want to defrost the windows in the rain. Air won't have any way to get out, and if you open a window you'll get wet. smile.gif

Apparently you didn't see the rust holes Royce. lol2.gif Those make nice vents.

Couldn't he just vent the cabin into the rear fender?
bondo
QUOTE (McMark @ Oct 22 2005, 11:07 AM)

Apparently you didn't see the rust holes Royce. lol2.gif Those make nice vents.

Couldn't he just vent the cabin into the rear fender?

Hehe. Good point.. I wonder why the factory didn't do that. Road noise perhaps? It is pretty close to your ear. I guess there could also be water intrusion from water spinning off the tire.
grasshopper
QUOTE (bondo @ Oct 22 2005, 08:13 AM)
ok, i got a question about the door vents... can i just remove them all together???? i found some nice sized rust holes around them on both sides.....  heres a pic, thanks!!!

how does that allow much air out anyway?? its covered with the interior padding.... and yes, that is an 8N in the background... my dad has restored a couple tractors now...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.