Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT- what car is this ... once again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gustl
could you help me again find out what car this is

it should be an american car

skline
Perhaps a kit car? Looks like one I used to see at one of my neighbors house years ago. Not much of a picture to go by.
BMartin914
Looks like one of those Excalibur kit cars.
seanery
looks like one of them fake Dusenburgs that were built on a mid 80s Buick chasis. barf.gif
skline
QUOTE (BMartin914 @ Oct 12 2005, 10:32 PM)

Thats the one, Thanks for reminding me, I couldnt remember the name.
Hammy
It does look similar to this kit car that sits in my bassplayer's garage. It's on an old bug chassis.. I want it biggrin.gif
BMartin914
QUOTE (seanery @ Oct 12 2005, 09:32 PM)
looks like one of them fake Dusenburgs that were built on a mid 80s Buick chasis. barf.gif

I think you may be recalling the Stutz Blackhawk.
bjorn jacobson
Looks like a Gatsby kit car. No wait, bet it's a Zimmer.
TonyAKAVW
looks like a Zimmer to me...

-Tony
bjorn jacobson
Good one Tony. I couldn't find a photo of the rear of the car online. Has to be a Zimmer.
spare time toys
QUOTE (BMartin914 @ Oct 13 2005, 12:32 AM)

Made in Milwaukee good cars
Gustl
many thanks pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

with your help I've found the correct page / picture smilie_pokal.gif

1983 Zimmer Golden Spirit

wavey.gif Gustl
skline
Glad you found out what car it was, the only unfortunate thing is I see from the dash it is built on a 80's Ford. I would not touch any Ford from the 80's to current. I just have no faith in them at all. I have a friend with a 2002 F150 that he bought new. It uses a quart and a half of oil between changes, when he asked Ford about it, they said that was acceptable. I call BS.
BMartin914
QUOTE (skline @ Oct 13 2005, 06:38 AM)
Glad you found out what car it was, the only unfortunate thing is I see from the dash it is built on a 80's Ford. I would not touch any Ford from the 80's to current. I just have no faith in them at all. I have a friend with a 2002 F150 that he bought new. It uses a quart and a half of oil between changes, when he asked Ford about it, they said that was acceptable. I call BS.

Too bad it's ugly too. icon8.gif
theol00
agree.gif

....that is one ugly mother!
phantom914
QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ Oct 12 2005, 10:50 PM)
looks like a Zimmer to me...

-Tony

For those of you that don't know Tony, that is a picture of his daily driver that you see in his post.

Andrew
BMartin914
Don't like it. Just my opinion. I do like Napoleon's ride though. biggrin.gif

Also didn't realize that they still make them new. Priced a shade under $100K up to $160K. Seems like a lot of moola for a ford with a coachbuilt body on it.

Zimmer Motor Cars
phantom914
QUOTE (BMartin914 @ Oct 13 2005, 08:27 AM)
Don't like it. Just my opinion. I do like Napoleon's ride though.  :D

Also didn't realize that they still make them new. Priced a shade under $100K up to $160K.  Seems like a lot of moola for a ford with a coachbuilt body on it.

Zimmer Motor Cars

Tony got his Zimmer as a roller for almost free. He saw an ad on Craigslist. He's always stumbling across good deals like that. He put a type IV into it for now because he had a spare from one of his 914s, but he's going to put a Subaru engine in it.

Andrew
BMartin914
QUOTE (phantom914 @ Oct 13 2005, 08:33 AM)

Also didn't realize that they still make them new. Priced a shade under $100K up to $160K.  Seems like a lot of moola for a ford with a coachbuilt body on it.

Zimmer Motor Cars

Tony got his Zimmer as a roller for almost free. He saw an ad on Craigslist. He's always stumbling across good deals like that. He put a type IV into it for now because he had a spare from one of his 914s, but he's going to put a Subaru engine in it.

Andrew

A TIV in a Zimmer?!? Now that's pretty cool. Props to Tony.

I found the Zimmer Quicksilver in a Google search. Mid Engine blink.gif based on the Fiero chassis. Only 170 ever built.
phantom914
QUOTE (BMartin914 @ Oct 13 2005, 08:39 AM)
QUOTE (phantom914 @ Oct 13 2005, 08:33 AM)

Zimmer Motor Cars

Andrew

A TIV in a Zimmer?!? Now that's pretty cool. Props to Tony.

I found the Zimmer Quicksilver in a Google search. Mid Engine blink.gif based on the Fiero chassis. Only 170 ever built.

Unfortunately, it is just a 1.7L. But he proved he could do it. He wants a little more power and a more modern engine, that's why he's going Subaru. He's converting his 914 first to gain experience. He wants to do the Zimmer right.

Andrew
bondo
QUOTE (phantom914 @ Oct 13 2005, 09:33 AM)

Zimmer Motor Cars

Andrew

I've ridden in it, it's kind of underpowered, and I'm worried about engine longevity. I think the low compression bus pistons would be a better choice for moving a car that large. The subaru setup will be better though, as he's using the 3.3 SVX 6 cylinder.

(I suggested 2 type IVs, as there's certainly enough room, but my idea got shot down)
Allan
Zimmer "Rollator"

phantom914
Bondo,

Yeah, he told me about the two engine idea rolleyes.gif . He wants to stay with something more realistic and practical. Tony also doesn't want to lose luggage space.

I remember Car and Driver did a two engine CRX years ago. One in front and one in back. Is that where you got the idea?

Andrew
bondo
QUOTE (phantom914 @ Oct 13 2005, 10:05 AM)
Bondo,

Yeah, he told me about the two engine idea. He wants to stay with something more realistic and practical. Tony also doesn't want to lose luggage space.

I remember Car and Driver did a two engine CRX years ago. One in front and one in back. Is that where you got the idea?

Andrew

Well MY idea was two type IVs one on top of each other, belt driven together. (like the 8" electric motors Oatmar has in his 914)

It would require a fancy cooling setup (one fan above and one below, outlets on the sides, or something like that) and some funny way to get oil to the top one out of the lower one's sump. There's also the issue of the side load of the belt, which would have to be addressed with big bearings. All in all probably a bad idea, and I was half joking anyways.

But Tony being Tony, took my idea and went nuts.. "If I have 2 engines, I want a 50/50 weight distribution and all wheel drive!" So he was all set to go that route but eventually decided it wasn't really do-able without major modifications.
BMartin914
QUOTE (Headrage @ Oct 13 2005, 09:03 AM)
Zimmer "Rollator"

chairfall.gif chairfall.gif chairfall.gif
TonyAKAVW
You guys have it all wrong. I decided to go all wheel drive, but you didn't realize that i converted it to a three wheeler. The third tire sits in the middle of that trunk-like thing in the back. Its going to be driven by an electric motor that runs off power generated by alternators on the two front type IVs which drive the front wheels. Steering is accomplished by adjusting the throttle on the two front engines and rotating the rear. Also, because the rear is independently powered, I can adjust that throttle too and get some wicked fast turning.

The problem I'm having is that the two engines in the front need to be offset from each other. I'm running into clearance problems inside the engine bay, because there's one engine up front, one behind and two transmissions (901s of course). The exhaust plumbing is a nightmare, but the individual throttle bodies make for easy intake plumbing.

With so much in the car, the passenger seat was replaced with a gas tank.

-Tony
bondo
QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ Oct 13 2005, 11:40 AM)
You guys have it all wrong. I decided to go all wheel drive, but you didn't realize that i converted it to a three wheeler. The third tire sits in the middle of that trunk-like thing in the back. Its going to be driven by an electric motor that runs off power generated by alternators on the two front type IVs which drive the front wheels. Steering is accomplished by adjusting the throttle on the two front engines and rotating the rear. Also, because the rear is independently powered, I can adjust that throttle too and get some wicked fast turning.

The problem I'm having is that the two engines in the front need to be offset from each other. I'm running into clearance problems inside the engine bay, because there's one engine up front, one behind and two transmissions (901s of course). The exhaust plumbing is a nightmare, but the individual throttle bodies make for easy intake plumbing.

With so much in the car, the passenger seat was replaced with a gas tank.

-Tony

Oh man, you're gonna dominate at the autocross! Have you figured out what class you'll be in yet?
mightyohm
With a Zimmer?? High class...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.