Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: sorta, but not too far
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Not the normal like you would expect to see on Ebay. I would love to have this car. It's air cooled but it looks like someone redesigned the cooling on this one. Jake, Did you have something to do with this one? I like it. Ebay car for sale
Lou W
I wouldn't mind owning that smile.gif
bd1308
me either....i like how the guy did the fan shroud and the V-belt for the alternator....probably much better working than the OE up-top fan....but that one type4 corvair cooler conversion guy will speak up soon with his pictures of his engine....and i'll drool.

easier to change than a type 4 one.....but wait...if it's a racer, why have a alternator?

b
Gint
I can't believe that car doesn't have a bid. It's worth $20k Don Yenko was the man in the 60's. His corvair may have more cache than his v8s.
URY914
"Unsafe At Any Speed", said Ralph Nader. rolleyes.gif

Paul biggrin.gif
skline
Ralph Nader was a controlling, politcal manipulating nerd that didnt know his a$$ from a hole in the ground.
URY914
QUOTE (skline @ Oct 13 2005, 04:57 AM)
Ralph Nader was a controlling, politcal manipulating nerd that didnt know his a$$ from a hole in the ground.

True.

I think Nader had more of a problem with the early swing axle Corvairs than the later big ones like this one.

Also, throw Joan Claybrook in with Nader. rolleyes.gif
dakotaewing
Am I the only person that saw Jon Lowes' name on the front of the log book?
xitspd
QUOTE (skline @ Oct 13 2005, 04:57 AM)

agree.gif He still is!
Jake Raby
any engine that rotates counter clockwise AND has 9 cam lobes isn't for me... The corvair is the one aircooled engine that I feel "doesn't rate"...
zymurgist
Corvair engines seem to work well enough in aviation applications. If that doesn't rate, I don't know what does.
Quilmes
QUOTE (dakotaewing @ Oct 13 2005, 08:48 AM)
Am I the only person that saw Jon Lowes' name on the front of the log book?

No actually as I was reading the text I was remembering a story that Jon Lowe told us here in Orlando that he raced one of these cars and really liked it. I thought that it was cool and I never gave it much thought until now, and it looks neat.
I am sure that it would be a fun car to track. But my heart still goes out to 914's.

By the way good catch on the Log Book.

Quilmes
Dave_Darling
Indeed--very good catch!

I emailed Jon, and he said that someone had already pointed the auction out to him. "Telling the story behind that car would take quite a few beers", according to him. I someday hope to buy him those beers and hear that story.

--DD
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Oct 13 2005, 02:29 PM)
any engine that rotates counter clockwise AND has 9 cam lobes isn't for me...

This Corvair has 16 lobes on its cam. I didn't know that corvairs used only 9 lobes on their cams . How did they do that. Share a lobe from one cyl. to the next? What was the timing?

Bob
Flat VW
I grew up in Detroit in the Corvair era, they were pretty common, one would see them around, now and then.

A customer on my paper route had three of them, loved them, surprisingly good in snow. driving.gif

John

P.S. I basically never saw a foreign car besides an occasional VW bettle till I moved to Phoenix in 76'. flag.gif
It was whole new world "carwise".

Howard
My mom had a 66. Even with powerglide a blast to drive in AX, kinda like a 356. Front stays planted, back swings around nicely. Not bad with the fully IRS and 140hp. Turned similar times to my 1600S. But like the Fiero, they got it pretty good and then discontinued.

Curious how GM does with the Solstice/Sky. Has the makings of a fun car.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (BIGKAT_83 @ Oct 13 2005, 04:57 PM)
I didn't know that corvairs used only 9 lobes on their cams . How did they do that. Share a lobe from one cyl. to the next?

At a guess, all of the intake lobes were shared by cylinders on the opposite side of the motor. Either that, or all of the exhaust lobes were. In our motors, of course, all of the intake and exhaust lobes are shared.

Not sure why they'd use separate exhaust lobes (or if it was the other way around, separate intake lobes) but hey, whatever works. OK, it's Detroit--whatever works most of the time... wink.gif

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.