Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The age old question - mod or sell?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carreraguy
Okay, here's the deal.

I've got a nice low mileage (approx 45,000) very original '76 teener that I've had for three years; some of you folks in the SF Bay area I'm sure have seen my car. I've been to two WCC's, a few autocroses here and there and two Ventura Shows and have had a blast driving it, but now I'm thinking about (what else?) MORE HORSEPOWER. Not planning on racing but will definitely get used to the handling changes on the autocross/track before going supersonic.

I've narrowed it down to two basic options:
1. Forget about originality and find some way to get more hp (with likely suspension/wheel/brake/bumper mods) and still be smog legal (originally a 49 state but now a CA car). If possible, how? or

2. Sell the car as a nice unmolested example of a '76 2.0 liter classic and (a) look for a decent (not concours) 914/6 or 6 conversion or (cool.gif look for a decent 914/4 and pay a visit to Jake Raby for a big four (I assume these can't be smogged) or © look for a decent 914/4 with a high mileage engine and stick in a Subie engine (with other suspension/tranny/brake/wheel mods) like I saw at the Ventura Show (Renegade Hybrids); also not smoggable. I really like the idea of a WRX engine in the 914 since the engine is lighter and has way more hp (240 plus) but I'd have to go turnkey on it since I'm a crappy wrench. BTW - nice article on Jake's operation in the October "Porsche Post" (Porsche Club Great Britain monthly mag)!

If I sell my car, the money received from the sale would obviously be plowed into the new car. Thoughts anyone as to how much these options may cost or thoughts in general? Cost is important but I'd be willing to spend more for the right solution - you only live once and I do love the 914's lines/mid-engine design!

Thanks!

P.S. I don't want a Boxter but I sure like that Cayman ($$$)!
banksyinoz
it would be ashame to modify a good stocker especially if its as good as u say
if your goin to go for more power the suby idea is good but dont waste the good one , buy another
skline
I have to agree, an all original car will always be worth more money. I would either sell the car and buy one to modify or a Sixer, or keep that one and buy another one to modify.
jonwatts
Are you assuming you'd replace your car with another '76? If not then smog is not an issue as the 76's are the only ones that still need to be smogged (as was recently pointed out to me by some astute board members).

As for the vote, yeah I say sell it and invest in a pre-molested model.

Jon
JeffBowlsby
Protect the survivors Tom. Sell the yella car to someone who will preserve it and get another one to beat on.
nebreitling
yup, don't mod that '76. too nice, plus you won't get too far with it anyway before having to confront the smog issues particular to that one year.
carreraguy
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Oct 13 2005, 05:18 AM)
Are you assuming you'd replace your car with another '76? If not then smog is not an issue as the 76's are the only ones that still need to be smogged (as was recently pointed out to me by some astute board members).

As for the vote, yeah I say sell it and invest in a pre-molested model.

Jon

I'd be looking for a '75 or earlier for sure; I just don't know how to get around the smog issue with a '76! The pisser is that I bought the car in early 2003 with the intention of eventually modding the engine a little and dropping the smog gear because at that time the rolling 30 year smog law was in place. Thank you Arnold! sad.gif

Thanks for the input all.
markb
I have to agree with the others. Save the original, buy another to mod to your heart's desire. Get a pre 76 car & don't worry about smog.
Midtowner
I agree with Mark B. How will you fit six cars into a three car garage? Besides, if you sell the 76'er, you'll also have to give your nice custom t-shirt to the new owner (washed, of course) AND change your avatar! I say keep the car. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.