Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Felony Hit and Run
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DonTraver
Stopped at a store yesterday to pick up something, the 6 was parked less than 5 minutes. Scumbag hit my drivers door, and ran. Filed police report and insurance report, don't really have any confidence in the cops around here. Maybe, cause my dad is a retired San Diego cop and he doesn't either. Anyway, I'd say about a $1000 in damage, if the window would have been down, it would have broken the glass.

First I was sick, then pissed, now sick again, I really would like to catch this scumbag. The store wouldn't give me the names of the people that came in before me, and yes they have the names of everyone they sell to, it's that kind of store. Something about the privicy act, damn. Unfortunately, dad doesn't know anyone in that department at the cop shop anymore, been retired too long.

So wait and see, and see about getting door fixed. What I'm thinking is get one of those paintless dent guys to work it before final surfacing and paint, I do have some of the orginal paint left, so painting is the easy part, tho a shop won't use the paint, it's single stage gloss PPG Delstar, you can't even buy it anymore in L A and the shops down here won't shoot it.

Probably better that the store didn't give me any names, I might have ended up in jail. Damn
Andyrew
Take off the door pannel, put a rag in your hand, push on the door from the inside and pop that sucker back into place.

I've done that.

Good luck!

Andrew
dbledsoe
Bummer. I had something similar happen to me, not in my teener thankfully. Still it is a frustrating experience that people won't take responsibility for their actions and would rather leave you holding the bag. Makes me want to ar15.gif the stromberg.gif out of the scumbags.

I hope you get it fixed and looking great again.
skline
Good luck with that Don, As for what Andy said, the crease at the top of the dent tells me that you wont have much luck pushing it out from the inside and the paintless dent removal guys really only do door dings, not big dents. But I am sure they can do something to get it a little more straight. Sorry to hear about that. You should check other stores in the area and see if there are any surveillance cameras anywhere.
Aaron Cox
Don, such a beautiful car deserves a new door.

im sure we can find you an early perfect door wink.gif

didnt your car get messed up in a parking garage last year? sad.gif
airsix
Go to the police station and ask to talk to a detective. Tell him/her that the perp was a customer of the store and you know when it happened and the store knows who was at the store at that time. There should be paint evidence on your car. It ought to take less than an hour to narrow it down to the perp. Squeeky wheel gets the grease. This should be so easy for them - there's no excuse not to solve it. If I didn't get any help I'd gradually become more and more anoying.

-Ben M.
brer
OH Man. Sorry to see that pic. Geez.
I feel for you man.

You should call DentTime. Give them a shot at getting her straight again.
I've seen some real big dings taken out near perfectly.

really sorry about the mishap.
effutuo101
That really sucks! where abouts did it happen? details time, location and so on.
Chris
fin
The wife was hit and run in an intersection a month ago.

We had the plates written down and visual on the passenger, but not the driver.

Owner said that he was out of town and that his mother sold the vehicle for him. And the paperwork of the sale was not located.

Detective worked on the case off and on for a month.

End result? No arrests, dead end. Why? Subsequent owner did not register the vehicle, so a date of ownership transfer could not be established.

Nice job of skating out of it, Uh.

And it's a misdemeanor in Minnesota.

Fin
mikester
BAH!

Hat something similar happen to me while my wife had the 911 parked behind the gym a couple of months ago. At the same time a CAR SHOW was going on so she had to park on a residential street which shouldn't have been a big deal. Someone hit the SC right behind the driver's door in front of the rear wheel leaving a nice big dent. No note of course, filed a police report and they did do some effort in investigating it but because the damage was not too much and likely didn't damage the other car or truck at all they won't find the other car in the shop anywhere.

So; I'm out the deductible and 20% of a car rental while it gets fixed.

The damage I can forgive very easily, it's just a car. The irresponsibility of not leaving a note I cannot nearly as easily.

Your situation is much worse than mine; a 6!
Tobra
Makes you furious, that crease will mean more than pushing dent out will be needed.

BTW fin, the registered owner of the car is responsible. If his mother sold it, and the paperwork is not right, the last legal owner of the car is responsible, there is no grey area.
Twystd1
I may have an early door for you.. Will check this weekend if you need me too..

Cost? Free.o5

Just up da street in Costa Mesa

Twystd1
Allan
That's really Fuched Don. I woulda cried.
DonTraver
Thanks guys, I'm still sick about it. Thanks for the offer of the door, don't have a answer about the door yet, but if I need it, I'll let you know, ok.

I think the door can be repaired, the trick will be to not strech the metal when it gets pushed out. That's why I'm thinking of calling one of those paintless dent guys I used before, they're better at that than I am.

Good idea about the video camera's, unfortunatly those parking spots aren't covered at the hospital pharmacy. Think I'll find another pharmacy. I've already talked with them, told them about the police report. I'll give the cops another day, then start bugging them. I want this scumbag busted.

My insurance company called, they're coming over tomorrow, so later on that.

I have a spare 75 914 in the attic with doors. The drivers door needs a new window. Other than that, it's in pretty good shape, not sure about the window mechanicals.

Is door glass still available? Are the windows interchangeable?

I don't know if the cops are going to want to see it before I start on the repairs, but I took plenty of pictures.

Anyway, that's where it's at, Later,
Don
markb
Sorry to hear about your car, that sucks. Don't do anything to the car until the cops & the insurance folk have a look & tell you it's ok to have it fixed. Better to wait a few days to make sure they have everything they need. IIRC, the later door won't work with an early window. Different winding mechanisms. There are a few of us with early doors, if you need one & want to go that way.
DonTraver
The insurance adjuster came over, took a look at the car, I think they were as sick as I was. Anyway, to make a long story short, they will cover all the repairs and I can take her to the shop I wanted, West Coast Specialties, they do all the repairs for Pioneer Porsche. I've had work done by them before, and I was very satisfied. So that parts being taken care of, she's now scheduled for repairs to start on the 31st. I think the door is beyond by skill level, so this is the best route.

Called the cops, they won't even talk to me for another 10 days, pretty much what I expected, the cops will just blow it off. So that means I revert to my major pain in the ass personality with authority figures. I really don't give a damn, they're paid to do a job, my job will be to ensure they do. Putting fresh batteries in my voice activated tape recorder. It's worked before with government employees that tried to blow me off, maybe it'll work again, if nothing else it gets their attention. What the hell, I'm retired, got nothing better to do.

Wish me luck, later Don
Allan
QUOTE (DonTraver @ Oct 14 2005, 01:40 PM)
Wish me luck, later Don

Good luck...
mikey
Sorry about the damage to your car. It's lucky it was limited to the door. Hopefully it can be pulled out.

I was a witness to a hit and run accident several years ago and was able to nail the guy. It was a great pleasure helping to bust that scumbag. I hope you can find who did it and nail him. Leaving the scene of an accident should lead to serious consequences.
Joseph Mills
Sorry it happened. Over the years I've had three similar incidents.

Sad that people elect not to take the responsibility for their actions when they are tempted to think they can "get away with it".

Years ago, on the way to see Frank Zappa's "500 Motels" movie, I side-swiped a parked car on the street. Too much smoke.gif I rang half a dozen door bells to find the owner. They were astonished. Or maybe it was just the sight of me. biggrin.gif

Hope your insurance ponies up.
airsix
QUOTE (DonTraver @ Oct 14 2005, 12:40 PM)
I really don't give a damn, they're paid to do a job, my job will be to ensure they do. Putting fresh batteries in my voice activated tape recorder. It's worked before with government employees that tried to blow me off, maybe it'll work again, if nothing else it gets their attention. What the hell, I'm retired, got nothing better to do.

Wish me luck, later Don

Awesome. aktion035.gif Nothing wrong with demanding that you get what you've paid (taxes) for.
-Ben M.
DonTraver
To all who offered me a new door to replace the door the scumbag hit on my 6, THANK YOU.

The plot thickens, insurance said the door was not repairable, so I started looking for a replacement, then I talked to Patrick at the shop, he said he can fix the door with metal finishing. I called the insurance, said I want my door fixed, I want to keep the car all original, that's not cost effective was the answer I got. Total difference of about $300. So around and around we went, finally called the adjusters boss, he called Patrick, he wanted to know if the car was in great shape or a beater, Patrick told him, great shape and needs to be fixed right. So to make a long story short, my orginal door is going to be fixed the right way, and I will still have a all original 914-6 smilie_pokal.gif

The battle started last week, ended today. I did say if it wasn't fixed right, I'd get my 6 back, fix it myself, cancel my insurance, find another company, put complaint in with BBB and state insurance office, and post all over the net about poor claim service.

So my baby is gonna get fixed right and all is well with the world again, thanks all.

Later, Don
nomore9one4
That blows that the car was hit in the first place! Although to sound like my father....No one was injured and atleast it did not hit anything more than the door. But heres to the hit and run driver.. ar15.gif
nomore9one4
Also,When he is charged with defacing a classic,may this happen to him while he is serving his time.. sheeplove.gif
DonTraver
Got my 6 back today, they did a great job, not even a ripple in the door and no bondo. She sure was fun running some errands around town, hitting 6k shift points. I just love the sound of those webbers sucking air.

Take Care, Don
Dr Evil
Dang Don,
You sure have some luck...or is it that area? How many times did I get hit in San Diego? 6 dry.gif I am glad that things did work out in the end. I remember tha last time my bike was totaled, a lady backed into it and tipped it over infront of a bunch of witnesses. She left a note so the witnesses didn't bother to write down her plate #. The note was bogus with a false phone #. Went to the same station that I am sure you went to and told them what happened. When I mentioned that the note was a fake they told me that if she left a note it was not hit and run. So all you have to do is leave the number for Chuck E Cheezes and you get off scott free. This system is crap, but I bet it would have been different in one of the richer areas dry.gif
Bleyseng
I'll have to remember that trick! av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.