Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Today's Texas 914 Update
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ClayPerrine
I went over to DougC's house after work today. We did some checking on his CIS system on his 2.7S motor. Nice install. The airbox was modified using AUDI parts so that the factory engine latch could be retained.

I started with the basics. Spark was there and strong. Checked the timing by taking out #1 plug and feeling for compression, then checking to make sure that the rotor was pointed at the #1 wire. No problems there.

Pulled one injector and with the key on, raised the sensor flap. Yep.. we got fuel spray.

Put the plug back in and hooked the wire up. Put the injector back in. It fires and runs for about 30 seconds then dies. I wait 30 seconds and try again. It does it again.

It was then I noticed that the metal fuel return line under the battery was plugged with a bolt... But no fuel is leaking out.... confused24.gif

I look, and the accumulator is off a later car, and there are 3 fittings on it. The return line is plumbed into the back of the accumulator, and it goes no where else.

Well..... that will make the car run a bit rich!!!!!!

Doug is going to Stuart hose on Saturday to get a new line made. It was too short from the accumulator to the fuel distributor anyway.

I came home and watched Mythbusters. I had to watch, they were firing large caliber firearms into a swimming pool to test the myth that diving into a pool will keep you from getting shot. Even a .50 caliber sniper rifle would not hurt you if you were 3 feet underwater. All of the high velocity, supersonic rounds self-destructed on impact with the water. But the solid lead 9mm pistol would hit you 9 feet under the water!!!

After the show, I got off my lazy butt and finished reassembling my six after fixing the clutch. It only took about 45 minutes, and I was able to fire it off.

Took it out and drove it around the block. All is well here.

BTW.. I am no longer a redneck..... 4 out of 5 cars that are at my house run!!! lol2.gif

spare time toys
So yours is going once more and Dougs will be going soon smilie_pokal.gif Now if we could just get that lazy no good guy in Murphy off his butt and back working on his..... spank.gif
goose2
Nice install. The airbox was modified using AUDI parts so that the factory engine latch could be retained.

Well now...this has got my attention. Is this a way to avoid moving or deleting the factory latch with CIS? I'd like to learn more about this.
ClayPerrine
Get Doug to take some picts and post them here. If he doesn't, the I will take some when he brings the car over for me to help him build the wiring harness for the CIS.

redshift
Clay, please move here. Thanks.

Your buddy,

Miles
spare time toys
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Oct 14 2005, 06:52 AM)
Get Doug to take some picts and post them here. If he doesn't, the I will take some when he brings the car over for me to help him build the wiring harness for the CIS.

Do you need it hauled over? I can come past with the trailer and bring it out.
jr91472
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Great news Doug!

Nice work (as always) Mr Perrine. Or maybe we should call him......

THE CLAYMINATOR ar15.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Oct 14 2005, 06:48 AM)
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Oct 14 2005, 06:52 AM)
Get Doug to take some picts and post them here.  If he doesn't, the I will take some when he brings the car over for me to help him build the wiring harness for the CIS.

Do you need it hauled over? I can come past with the trailer and bring it out.

Nope. Doug is going to get a new fuel return line made at Stuart hose on Saturday. At that point the car will have an actual functioning fuel return line, so it will start and run.

He can drive it over. The electrical harness will do things like make it start easier when cold, and have the fuel pump run only when the car is cranking or running (like it's supposed to).

Thanks Larry.

BTW.. when are YOU going to get off your butt and get your monster running.

I drove my car to work today!!!

driving.gif bootyshake.gif driving.gif bootyshake.gif driving.gif bootyshake.gif
ClayPerrine
News Flash!........

Both Betty and I drove our respective 914s to work today!!!!

driving.gif driving-girl.gif

For those of you who think a 914 can't be a daily driver.... welll..... pissoff.gif
Gint
QUOTE (goose2 @ Oct 13 2005, 11:13 PM)
Nice install. The airbox was modified using AUDI parts so that the factory engine latch could be retained.

Well now...this has got my attention. Is this a way to avoid moving or deleting the factory latch with CIS? I'd like to learn more about this.

Me too.

Do tell.

And...

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
ClayPerrine
Doug.. the Masses here want pictures of the CIS airbox setup on your car!!!

Get out the digital camera.

DougC
Yep, things are looking up with my car now. Clay figured the fuel return line thing out and I feel confident now that once I get that sorted it'll be drivable. I may be a week or two away from driving this car to work (will also be my daily driver), once it's drivable I have to get it "pre-inspected" - the state has to make sure all the VIN numbers match since it was last registered out of state. Then Registration and inspection. Then I have a ton of "little" things to do. I'll update everone Monday on how the fuel return line situation goes and I'll snap some pictures of the Audi airbox too. With my airbox BTW, you do not have to cut the trunk or move the trunk latch while using a CIS system.. you'll see. Thanks again Clay!

Doug C
tat2dphreak
smilie_pokal.gif cool! 1 more on the road and another in the pipe!
ClayPerrine
Doug,

After getting home last night, I did some research. The accumulator you have is not the correct one for a 77 911. It's off an Audi 5000. It would probably be better to get the 911 accumulator, which only has 2 fittings on it. That way you can use the existing return line and just get an adapter hose made to hook it to the metal fuel line under the battery.

goose2
With my airbox BTW, you do not have to cut the trunk or move the trunk latch while using a CIS system.. you'll see.

Looking forward to seeing this...thanks Doug
DougC
Clay, my wallet liked your first recommendation blink.gif .
A plumbed "T" would be easier on my wallet than an accumulator ohmy.gif . Just looking at the accumulators for a stock 2.7L 911 shows the same one I have - check this out (3 ports), what gives?

http://oem.thepartsbin.com/parts/thepartsb...ulator&dp=false

Doug C
ClayPerrine
Probably a generic picture. This is a link to the 911 page on the Bird....

user posted image

The accumulator for a 77 911 only has 2 fittings.

New they are 139.50. Probably find one used for a lot cheaper.

DougC
Well not to beat a dead horse...But... here's the picture of the accumulator for the '76 engine, it only has 2 ports. Maybe I should just order the '76 one to be safe. There wouldn't be any reasons that it wouldn't work right? I mean no internator differences probably.. Here a picture of it..

http://oem.thepartsbin.com/parts/thepartsb...ulator&dp=false

Doug C
goose2
When I was looking for an accumulator for my 3.0 I found a couple at the Porsche wrecking yards (usual suspects) for around $60 including mount console, filter and plumbing. I ended up trading into one with a Pelicanite.
DougC
The one I just pictured ('76 model) is $60 less than the three port '77 model, so that would be another reason to like it. What do ya'll think, would it work? Clay?

Doug C
DougC
Here's another thought, is there any place that I could get a cap nut to fit on the 3rd (un-needed) port of the accumulator that I now have. I had to get a large cap nut for the fuel pump, it secured the banjo fitting to the FP. I have no idea what size it was though. If I could find the right size that would close off my 3rd port. Hmmm..? CSOB, I know.

Doug C
ClayPerrine
If you can find the correct sized cap it should be OK.

DougC
OK, I was able to locate the correct size cap nut and so I was able to use the accumulator that I already have. Here's a pic -

Doug C
DougC
And I had a hose made up for the fuel return to the gas tank.. This was to line that I originally had going into the 3rd port on the accumulator (now capped). The new hose is the one in the picture with the blue plastic tie-band. Here's the pic..

Doug C
DougC
The problem is, that the car is still doing what it did when Clay was diagnosing it. The thing will start and run for a few seconds then quit. Or it will also quit if I give it any throttle input. I checked timing again yesterday and it seemed to be ok. I think it's a fuel delivery problem, but I just don't know..

Here's some pictures of the Audi airbox that is installed on my engine. Wish I could take credit because I think it's a good looking set up, and is a little less bulky looking than the stock CIS set-up BUT..it was the work of previous owners.

Doug C
DougC
another..
DougC
...and one more.

Doug C
jr91472
Lookin good Doug! smilie_pokal.gif

When do we get to see pics of the rest?

I envy ya, I am sure you feel like you are banging your head, but it looks like fun

headbang.gif headbang.gif boldblue.gif headbang.gif boldblue.gif
DougC
I feel so close..yet so far. Here's a pic of the car since you ask. Oh, how I hate showing people my car wink.gif

Doug C
goose2
smilie_pokal.gif Nice looking installation. Do you know the Audi application for the airbox? Looks like a nice fit.
DougC
Thanks Randy, I don't know any of the specifics but you can make out the part number in that second pic. Clay explained that the lower part (the air box) itself was Audi and the top piece is the Porsche fuel distributor. The rubber boot on top of the air box has the VW/Audio company markings, the snorkle fit's that rubber boots perfectly and I'm sure it's related originally. The big rubber piece that fits over the throttle has some numbers and the markings "HRC"..don't know it's origins but I tell everyone that it was made by Honda Racing Corp wink.gif . The orange rubber intermediate section is just used as a reducer to the smaller diameter of the snorkle. This system all worked well as used by the PO in his 914.

Doug C
Ferg
Nice Doug, Since i'm familer with that motor wink.gif I'll chime in. I did not build the set up, but from what I understand the airbox is from a Audi 80\90 series, and is also the same as a early vw GTI, I know for a fact that it accepts a GTI air filter.

Ferg
DougC
Thanks - I'll have to make note of that.

Doug C
ClayPerrine
Doug... things have been a little hectic around here, and I have not had time to call you back.

We can get together later this week and take another look at your car.

DougC
Yes, Clay I know how hectic it can get so no prob on the call. I figured you were burried under a fiberglass engine shroud or on an airplane to someplace. Talk to you soon.

Doug C
John
Did you get it running yet?
ClayPerrine
I went over to Doug's yesterday morning. I did some checking, and found that there was a hole about an inch in diameter drilled in the bottom of the tube between the air flow meter and the throttle body. Major false air problem. We covered the hole with electrical tape (I actually wanted Duct Tape, but Doug didn't have any ohmy.gif ) and tried again. It tried harder to start, but no joy. So I tweaked the mixture screw in the air box.

It started right up and idled beautifully. It revs real nice too.

This took all of 30 minutes.....

Later, Doug and I were troubleshooting the fuel pump. We found that someone had cut the fuel pump wire right where it comes out of the 14 pin connector for the relay board. Doug is going to repair that. In the process of troubleshooting it, we found out what the hole in the bottom of the air duct was for. Apparently the Aux air regulator is supposed to hook there, but the fitting was lost. Doug didn't know that, so he just capped the Aux air regulator. He is going to get a fitting and epoxy it in, and then hook up the aux air regulator.

All in all... a very good day!!!

DougC
Many thanks to everyone who have helped me with getting this far on my project, answering questions and such - there are probably too many to list but you know who you are..and especially Clay for making the trip to my house on occasions and not giving up. Here's a thread I stated for the new problem I'm having..http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=40299

Doug C
Ferg
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif driving.gif

Ferg biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.