Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiring question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dennisc
My dash brake light does not work so I have done some looking around. The wiring diagram at the master cylinder shows two wires. Brown and white and a brown ground wire. I have both at the master cylinder but only the brown and white was connected. There is only one spade connection on the switch. How should this we wired?
ClayPerrine
The brown wire is a ground for the switch. The later replacement master cylinders ground their switch through the body of the master cylinder. You only need to hook up the brown/white wire. The other can be left loose.

To see if the light is working, just hook the two wires together. The light in the dash should flash.

dennisc
OK--Thanks Clay
Hey-sorry about your alternater. Sound like your having your share of problems. These conversions seem to have a will of their own. I've had my share too.
lapuwali
Brown/white wire should go from the switch to the dash brake light. The brown wire is a ground for something else. The light should also come on with the handbrake is pulled up. If not, then check the bulb. There's also a black/white power wire that leads to it.
dennisc
By connecting the two wires together the brake light blinks with the emergency brake on. This may be beyond my electrical capabilities. Doesn't take much to reach my limit.
bd1308
kinda hijack mode on

hmm...isnt the handbrake part of the circuit (one that doesnt work on my car) actuated seperately than the master cylinder part of the circuit?

seems to me that light would blink when the wires are connected no matter if the brake was up or down?

b

hijack mode off
dennisc
You could be right about it working irregardless of the brake lever position. It was up when I tried it and I didn't try it with the lever down.
914GT
The switch on the master cylinder is wired in parallel with the switch for the parking brake. Either switch closed (or both) will activate the warning light.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.