Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eastwood Vibratory Tumbler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
I just recieved my newest toy....er... tool. Eastwood Vibratory Tumbler. I'm very excited about it. It should prove very useful around the shop. Right now it's running its maiden voyage. I put a bunch of body to pan brackets from the 56 bug into it with 7 pounds of Green Rust Cutting media. It takes about 3 to 7 hours to do it's thing, so the after shots will come tomorrow. Here is the before shot.
McMark
Here's the action shot!
Aaron Cox
cool smilie_pokal.gif
GWN7
Cool...do they sell the different grades of polishing powders too? There is a red and green flake that can be used...

beerchug.gif
McMark
The Heavy Duty kit I got also came with a Dry Shine media. I'll throw the pieces in for that portion tomorrow and see how shiny those puppies can get. wink.gif

And what, no vibrator jokes yet. Sheesh. I guess the Sandbox really worked. confused24.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE (McMark @ Oct 14 2005, 05:05 PM)
And what, no vibrator jokes yet. Sheesh. I guess the Sandbox really worked. confused24.gif

Ya, It's almost depressing... wacko.gif almost. laugh.gif
Allan
I like shiney stones er, parts, er, metal objects...

Can we throw them at Miles when you,re done?
neo914-6
Mark,

How's your powdercoat set up? Did you get Mike's blast cabinet? Here's one in Petaluma

jr91472
doh!!!! headbang.gif

I just realized I have "case tumbler" that I bought for cleaning expended brass from pistol and rifle rounds. Looks just like that (but it orange). It never even occured to me to use it for other polishing chores.

I need to do some research into different media types.

thanks smilie_pokal.gif
GWN7
wink.gif I have two of the orange ones for brass. One for cleaning and one for polishing.

A company I sold for had a machine that was about 6' across. They used it for taking the flashing off cast mag and alum risers for bows. They used the triangle shaped stones like in Marks pics but big ones about 1" tall
Aaron Cox
howd they come out Mcvibrator? biggrin.gif
bd1308
pics.pics.pics.

can ya tumble rocks in that thing?

b
McMark
I was helping a friend move today, so they've only run about three hours. But they're running now and I'll take another picture later tonight when I turn it off. Here's what they look like now. You can see the large flat sections are looking really really nice, but the inside curves need more work. So far I'm really really pleased. I took a timeout to refresh the water since it was so coated in rust residue. I don't know if it'll help, but I thought I'd do it anyway.
redshift
QUOTE (Headrage @ Oct 14 2005, 09:58 PM)
I like shiney stones er, parts, er, metal objects...

Can we throw them at Miles when you,re done?

No.

smile.gif

M
biosurfer1
I know this is very old thread, but since there are no other ones, how did the tumbler work out for you Mark?

Use it much over the years?

The reason I ask is Harbor Freight has this on sale coming up and wanted to know if its worth it
RJMII
and I want to know if that's the real reason why Miles was gone for awhile.
charliew
I've been waiting on the hf one for three weeks and their still out. I tried to use my cartridge case tumbler and put about 50 fender bolts and washers in it for a bug and the darn thing broke. It's about 25 years old but I guess I had too much weight in it.
jaxdream
Hey guys a company called Midway sells the brass cartridge vibirator , mine's big blue bowl, use treated walnut media in it. It will clean grungy range brass real good , might work on similar size objects just maybe a comparable weight range.

Jaxdream idea.gif
jgara962
Do you think we could jam my muffler in there? wacko.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(jgara962 @ Mar 4 2009, 08:59 AM) *

that could be fun to watch LOL....

why not just bead blast?
McMark
The tumbler certainly doesn't compare to bead blasting. Basically, it didn't impress me much and it sits idle most of the time. If anyone wants to buy it and give it a shot, let me know.
jgara962
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Mar 4 2009, 09:39 AM) *

QUOTE(jgara962 @ Mar 4 2009, 08:59 AM) *

that could be fun to watch LOL....

why not just bead blast?

That is a whole separate thread dry.gif
burton73
Vibratory finishing is a whole industry in itself. Is great to clean spent brass when reloading ammo. I went to a place that made the small plastic parts that go in there. They have different Silicone Carbide grit in the plastic and as the media vibrates it cuts into the metal.

A solution of some kind is much faster. Remember Navel Jelly. I saw a UTube Video on Citric Acid on rust removal. Small bolts are a pain in the ass to holds in the blast cabinet. Bruce has worked something out for replaying screws and small parts that makes it somewhat easer.

Bob
ConeDodger
QUOTE(burton73 @ Mar 4 2009, 08:50 PM) *

Vibratory finishing is a whole industry in itself. Is great to clean spent brass when reloading ammo. I went to a place that made the small plastic parts that go in there. They have different Silicone Carbide grit in the plastic and as the media vibrates it cuts into the metal.

A solution of some kind is much faster. Remember Navel Jelly. I saw a UTube Video on Citric Acid on rust removal. Small bolts are a pain in the ass to holds in the blast cabinet. Bruce has worked something out for replaying screws and small parts that makes it somewhat easer.

Bob

Bob,
I might be misunderstanding you... Are you saying or suggesting putting navel jelly or some other solution in the vibratory tumbler? Or saying the solutions work better? I love these drugs... I feel so foggy blink.gif
yeahmag
My HF one does take forever, but it's nice to just chuck a bunch of nuts, bolts, and washers in there and forget about them...

I only used the dry media (green pyramids). I don't think these units are designed for a wet media, but maybe that's just mine.
burton73
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 5 2009, 08:01 AM) *

QUOTE(burton73 @ Mar 4 2009, 08:50 PM) *

Bob

Bob,
I might be misunderstanding you... Are you saying or suggesting putting navel jelly or some other solution in the vibratory tumbler? Or saying the solutions work better? I love these drugs... I feel so foggy blink.gif

Sorry, No liquid in the vibratory tumbler. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckdMdiJlV7c

Well maybe it will work with Citric Acid and your media. My wife is sitting next to me hating the music on You Tube.

Bob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.