Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Is This
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johnmhudson111
What is this bunble of wires for, looks like it is part of the center console stuff. The plug has 6 wires.
effutuo101
it looks like the wires for the center console guage cluster.
ejm
That plug looks like the one for a EGR/CAT counter box that would be in the passenger footwell... is this on your '72?
SirAndy
QUOTE (effutuo101 @ Oct 15 2005, 02:36 PM)
it looks like the wires for the center console guage cluster.

nope, most certainly NOT center console.

what year is you car???
idea.gif Andy
McMark
I'm pretty sure it's for the ERG counter.
Dave_Darling
What year is the car, and what colors are the wires?

--DD
bd1308
i thought 1.8s were phased out by the time EGR went into 914s.....

definately is NOT the console guages.....

b
Aaron Cox
his sig says 72 1.8

no 1.8's till 74...

thus.... car year is wrong or its a motor swap smile.gif
Sparky
It's the power supply for the optional vibratory passenger seat. Guaranteed to get the wife to enjoy more frequent and longer rides in the teener.

My best,
Mike D.

p.s. anyone got one of those seats for sale? unsure.gif
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (ejm @ Oct 15 2005, 04:38 PM)
That plug looks like the one for a EGR/CAT counter box that would be in the passenger footwell... is this on your '72?

It is a '72 but it has an 1.8L engine from a '75.
bd1308
well what is that thing then?

72 with EGR....dont think so.....
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (Sparky @ Oct 15 2005, 07:03 PM)
It's the power supply for the optional vibratory passenger seat. Guaranteed to get the wife to enjoy more frequent and longer rides in the teener.

My best,
Mike D.

p.s. anyone got one of those seats for sale? unsure.gif

I was wondering what that odd option code was lol2.gif
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Oct 15 2005, 07:09 PM)
well what is that thing then?

72 with EGR....dont think so.....

I just don't want to tuck it away under the carpet if I need it for something. Car runs great with out it being hooked up....

About all I need now is windshield to get it on the road ..... legally that is ....
bd1308
as long as it runs without it i personally wouldnt be concerned....

what if its the passenger seatbelt system thing, the starter lockout wasnt started till what....73-74
McMark
The "passenger seatbelt system thing" is a square braket. This is not that. We know for sure it's a 72? We know for sure it's not a VIN swap?
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (McMark @ Oct 15 2005, 07:51 PM)
The "passenger seatbelt system thing" is a square braket. This is not that. We know for sure it's a 72? We know for sure it's not a VIN swap?

Pretty sure, I bought the car from Craig @ CAMP914, it is a '72 chassis with a 1.8L from a '75. Not sure which wiring harness it has, I assumed it was from the '72 but you know about making assumptions...... confused24.gif
bd1308
intresting.....

Aaron Cox
whats the fender vin say.....
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 15 2005, 08:12 PM)
whats the fender vin say.....

I will look in the morning I am sure it is the same.
McMark
Here's a picture of the EGR counter connection. If you look at the orientation of the pins you might be able to decipher something.
bd1308
i could swear that sits near the fuel pump....in the access panel....

and there was something else....

but maybe i'm thinking of the old jeeps....
McMark
The EGR counter was mounted inside the foam piece in the passenger footwell. Not near the fuel pump.
bd1308
ah....

okay.

see the pic in the books i read about the 914 didnt show that, so i just thought it was in the same place as the fuel pump....

alrighty....

b
Brando
The wires for the EGR Counter would come from the center tunnel.

Still not sure what that small harness is for. Maybe Dealership AC?

Edit:

DUH, that is the center tunnel. Looked like the driver's side long section...

Plug looks like the EGR counter plug I cut and removed from my '75.

I'm going with possible vin swap.
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (McMark @ Oct 16 2005, 01:38 AM)
Here's a picture of the EGR counter connection. If you look at the orientation of the pins you might be able to decipher something.

That is the what the plug goes to, mystery solved, thanks!
SirAndy
QUOTE (johnmhudson111 @ Oct 16 2005, 02:08 PM)

well, that also means your car is *NOT* a '72 !!!

smile.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Oct 16 2005, 02:12 PM)

smile.gif Andy

yup!

check the fender well vin on PASS side.... like i said earlier.
guessing 475XXX... or 476XXX....
dmenche914
if this is a VIN swap issue, please don't let us know about it on a public internet board, for your own sake. VIN swaps will generally lead to your car being seized by the authorities. MAke sure the VIN stamped on the passenger fender inside the trunk matches that on the windshield post. If not, I'd go after the chump that sold it too you, if you have the documentation that is. However once the authorities find out your car is swapped VIN even if you can prove you paid for it, and who you paid, they can and likely will still sieze the car, and let you deal with trying to get a refund on your own, that is if you are not arrested for recieving stolen property.

So be very careful what info you post here. Big Brother might be watching.

If you recently bought the car, you might be able to do something with the prior owner, like if you have the paperwork, and can threaten him to expose his fraud car sale unless he refunds your money (cash) right away.

Else you can live with it and hope to never get caught, which may become an issue if you try to sell the car later.

So if your VIN's don't match, you got a big prblem to deal with, and the authorities will not be understanding of your innocent error.

good luck, hope the VIN's match, and this is an issue of a wire harness replacement or such.

johnmhudson111
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 16 2005, 04:13 PM)
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Oct 16 2005, 02:12 PM)

smile.gif Andy

yup!

check the fender well vin on PASS side.... like i said earlier.
guessing 475XXX... or 476XXX....

Ok, it took awhile to get the number off the fender, it had been painted over a couple of times as it turns out and I couldn't read it so I had to deside if I really wanted to know that bad and sand off the paint or not. Well I did and the vin # match, so I do have a '72 just has a late wiring harness. beerchug.gif

vin is 4722904590
bd1308
clap.gif

that has GOT TO BE the oddest thing I've ever seen....
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Oct 17 2005, 03:52 PM)
clap.gif

My guess is that when the shop that put the '75 motor in replaced the old wiring harness with the one from the '75 donor car. I think a number of parts on my car came off the donor car as there is a bit of orange paint here and there and the orginal color of my car was blue.
bd1308
yeah but what amazes me is how the installer managed to put that main harness in without cutting it.....which assumably is how it is logically done.
Joe Ricard
Not a piece of cake but it can be done. I removed a harness from a 74 awhile back. Took a couple of hours. Installation would take a couple of days. rolleyes.gif
bondo
QUOTE (johnmhudson111 @ Oct 17 2005, 02:03 PM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Oct 17 2005, 03:52 PM)
clap.gif

My guess is that when the shop that put the '75 motor in replaced the old wiring harness with the one from the '75 donor car. I think a number of parts on my car came off the donor car as there is a bit of orange paint here and there and the orginal color of my car was blue.

Yup, a good engine fire is enough to make that worth doing.
Katmanken
Wiring harness swap ain't that hard to do.

Becomes pretty easy when the original one has PO hack marks, melted wiring, green copper connectors, and the spare one looks like new with copper colored connectors.

BTDT

Ken
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Oct 17 2005, 01:07 PM)
yeah but what amazes me is how the installer managed to put that main harness in without cutting it.....which assumably is how it is logically done.

slap.gif

Bad Britt!! Bad, bad, bad!!!

As penance for your sin, go look for a thread by SirAndy in the "Classics" section about removing a wiring harness. Then say three "Hail Ferrys" and promise to never think of cutting a wiring harness again!

--DD
bd1308
DD....

i bought a harness off of ebay that was cut into two sections....I was assuming based on the harness I recieved....914GT traded me the harness for a OS/2 compatable video card....did that ever go well guy?

by no means am I suggesting that it is the proper way to do it....in fact, I was under the impression that there MUST be another way.

but, to be fair and to play the game...i'll say a couple of hail ferrys...

Hail Ferry full of wisdom, my car is with thee
help me not to screw up, and help me to get my 914 back up and running
oh and tell FedEx to ship my valve cover gaskets, so i can do a valve adjustment

smile.gif
bondo
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Oct 17 2005, 04:03 PM)
...Then say three "Hail Ferrys"...

--DD

lol2.gif chairfall.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.