Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 trivia question....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SpecialK
Got it in a lot of parts I picked up yesterday.....any guesses?
Gustl
rear fog light idea.gif

pretty rare !
GWN7
That's what I thought...rear fog light......

Part number#?
JoeSharp
I would have to say that it is a tail light for the euro fog light system.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Gustl
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Oct 16 2005, 07:01 PM)

Part number#?

901 631 251 00

should be the same at the 911
SirAndy
QUOTE (Gustl @ Oct 16 2005, 09:59 AM)
rear fog light

agree.gif
Aaron Cox
goes on the rear panel between the tail lights.... i think on the left side.... idea.gif
bd1308
sweet!

rear fog light....
SpecialK
Yep, rear fog light is what the PO said. I can't picture what purpose would be. Was it switched on with the front fogs? Or is it on all the time?

The lens reads:

Rückwärtige Ebene der Abschluß-scheibe senkrecht zur Fahrtichtung confused24.gif

Gonna put it in the classifieds when I get a chance to go through all of the stuff just in case anyone needs or wants it.
effutuo101
agree.gif
It should have 3 connections. one for running lights, one ground and one for brake. It should turn on with the fog lights. if it only has two connections, then it should come on with the brake lights.
Gustl
QUOTE (Buzzard1 @ Oct 16 2005, 08:23 PM)
... just in case anyone needs or wants it.

boldblue.gif w00t.gif beerchug.gif
JoeSharp
Thomas just returned from Germany and described the system to me, as he had a switch in his hands. The switch had 2 positions. First for the tail and second for the fogs.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ Oct 16 2005, 11:35 AM)
Thomas just returned from Germany and described the system to me, as he had a switch in his hands.

buy it and throw it on beauty biggrin.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE (effutuo101 @ Oct 16 2005, 12:28 PM)
agree.gif
It should have 3 connections. one for running lights, one ground and one for brake. It should turn on with the fog lights. if it only has two connections, then it should come on with the brake lights.

I popped the lens off to see what's what with the bulb. Single filament (sp?) bulb, one wire connection. So I'm guessing that it is switched with front fogs (or switch of its own somewhere).
SpecialK
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ Oct 16 2005, 12:35 PM)
Thomas just returned from Germany and described the system to me, as he had a switch in his hands. The switch had 2 positions. First for the tail and second for the fogs.

...I've just got to learn how to type faster! headbang.gif

Thanks for the explaination Joe. beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Buzzard1 @ Oct 16 2005, 11:23 AM)
Rückwärtige Ebene der Abschluß-scheibe senkrecht zur Fahrtichtung  :confused:

it comes on with your front foggies (or, in case of the right switch, there's another step inbetween) ...

purpose is easy. if it's really foggy, your taillights can't be seen very well, even the brakelights.
this light is MUCH brighter than your stock brakelights. it helps the guys behind you to see you earlier and gives them a bit more time to brake and not plow into your rear trunk.

as for the translation, it simply means the light should be mounted so the lens is in a 90 deg. angle to the road and facing BACKWARDS (doh!) ...
cool.gif Andy

PS: this is also the reason why the original fog-lights don't come on with your high-beams. high-beams are useless in fog (actually, they're dangerous!) so to prevent you to run your foggies on a clear night and blinding everyone in a 2 mile radius, they added the cutoff to the lights to ensure people only run them foggies when it's actually foggy ...
SpecialK
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Oct 16 2005, 01:02 PM)
QUOTE (Buzzard1 @ Oct 16 2005, 11:23 AM)
Rückwärtige Ebene der Abschluß-scheibe senkrecht zur Fahrtichtung  :confused:

it comes on with your front foggies (or, in case of the right switch, there's another step inbetween) ...

purpose is easy. if it's really foggy, your taillights can't be seen very well, even the brakelights.
this light is MUCH brighter than your stock brakelights. it helps the guys behind you to see you earlier and gives them a bit more time to brake and not plow into your rear trunk.

as for the translation, it simply means the light should be mounted so the lens is in a 90 deg. angle to the road and facing BACKWARDS (doh!) ...
cool.gif Andy

PS: this is also the reason why the original fog-lights don't come on with your high-beams. high-beams are useless in fog (actually, they're dangerous!) so to prevent you to run your foggies on a clear night and blinding everyone in a 2 mile radius, they added the cutoff to the lights to ensure people only run them foggies when it's actually foggy ...

Thanks for the translation Andy! I can pretty much understand any language but Greek.
Aaron Cox
bam bam buh boom
SpecialK
Hmmm....for some reason I pictured it mounted below the bumper. But then again, I would've thought it was a moped tail light if the PO hadn't told me. biggrin.gif
greg.treadway
Oddly, one can still get the fog light itself. The bracket and hardware is what is very hard to find. Stick it on Ebay and let the bidding begin. Cool find.
TJB/914
Hi Guys,

I am interested in this info. I just purchased a used fog lamp from a member (Gord Luy) and it did not have the mounting bracket. Looking at my parts book (9/6 item #76) it looks different than this one. If I remember correctly I checked the local Porsche dealer early this year for a NOS Fog Light & was not available, but the bracket was (from Germany).

Anyway I like this stuff, makes your car different. What I don't like!! Looks like you have to drill holes in the rear sheet metal!! Big no, no.

Did you see my offer Kevin??

Tom
SpecialK
E-mailed ya Tom.
greg.treadway
Don't dill any holes!!

My understanding is that the bracket attaches to the bumper. The lamps are still available and made by Hella. There are some brackets in Germany, but they are way to pricey. Only way I can see installing this is for Concours and if it was on the car originally. I believe there was someone in the club that was going to make a few brackets - but that would not be NOS of course.
tiim5
McMark installed the foglight in the bumper tow hole when he did the restoration of my car.
This is a photo before delivery. It is a very clean fit and look.
TJB/914
Thanks for the info Greg.

I understand, yes you can buy the current Hella Lamp, but it does not look like the original ones. My local source said they looked like something off an old Chevy Truck (that's what I hear). I need to check that out for myself.

I am happy to hear about mounting them on or attached to the bumper. Thanks for all the good info.

Tom
aircooledboy
QUOTE (tiim5 @ Oct 17 2005, 12:58 AM)
McMark installed the foglight in the bumper tow hole when he did the restoration of my car.
This is a photo before delivery. It is a very clean fit and look.

HEY, is that a naked guy in the reflection on that bumper? laugh.gif w00t.gif chairfall.gif happy11.gif
East coaster
As installed by the factory it was recessed..............Here's the one on my old car, which was a euro:

Kargeek
That's a 911 rear fog light. Mounts below the bumper...I've seen two versions on teeners, one like the 911 light with a special bracket that mounts flat on the rear panel and a second flat mounted light.

I have a euro wiring harness in my car and it has the additional white/ green fog wiring pigtail for these lights.

DH
dheinz
That fog light looks very similar to the one on my Euro 911. My lens is scuffed from the previous owner.
I ordered a new light fom Pelican six months ago and it is still on back order.
SpecialK
Okay...that's the way I pictured it being mounted.
SLITS
hijacked.gif

I thought they only installed red lights on the rear in Amsterdam...... biggrin.gif

:hijackedover:
greg.treadway
I don't think it was factory at all. I think it was dealer installed. As for the new Hella lights - there are two. One does look like a Chevy and the other is original. I know my Hella distributor in Georgia says they have the old ones. I never could make a sale stick since I don't have the brackets.
IanStott
I'm surprised to see it mounted above the bumper as well, lived in Germany for 4 years, had one on my Audi, glad I did. Many times fog so thick it was all you could see. I remember reading a story in a safety bulletin about 2 guys banging heads in the fog as they each had their heads out the window looking at the white line in heavy fog, and both ended up in the hospital with head injuries.

Ian Stott
Moncton
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.