Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - who knows this british roadster
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gustl
once again I'm asking for help rolleyes.gif

what car is this (the red one - it's the same as the green one besides)

all I know is, that it's a british car ...

Aaron Cox
not quite an austin healey...
user posted image

and its not a sprite, a midget or a triumph TR....
Gustl
it's none of the common types

it will be an exotic / rare car idea.gif
Gustl
I've found a car, that's very similar, but it's not the solution
a couple of details don't match

this one is an Allard - don't know the exact type, though confused24.gif
morgan
That looks like an aston martin db2 drop head
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (morgan @ Oct 16 2005, 04:10 PM)
That looks like an aston martin db2 drop head

user posted image

close?
brer
Bristol?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (brer @ Oct 16 2005, 04:24 PM)
Bristol?

gettin thar....
user posted image
dmenche914
looks something like an Alfa Giuletta, except for the flares,a dn hood scoop/bump, but that would make it Italian.

Maybe AC, an Allard, maybe its an Alvis , or an Austin Martin. Bristol made some cars with an interesting centered grill like these cars have. Could be a Jenson.

Thems the odd ball British makes I figure it might be. Britian also had many coach builders back in the day, I have seen some neat body kits or conversions on Triumph chassis amoung others, so it could be a short run kit or custom built. (what ever it is it surely was a short production run)

Too me the flares look like they might have been added to the original car, i might be wrong, but they just stick out like added flares.

Any hints on year of manufacture, engine size? Where was the phot taken, looks like a nice car show.

Heck we all maybe 914 nuts, but these other cars are really neat too. My odd ball cars go beyond my 914's, heck just about every car i own is odd ball except for the Vanagon, but even then, a Vanagon isn't seen that much these days anymore.

Anyway looking forward to what this car is and its history.

J P Stein
If memory serves, that is a Gloster Humbersprite on Surry.
Gustl
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Oct 17 2005, 02:33 AM)

didn't find any info about it

google told me that Gloster made aeroplanes user posted image

anyway, I've got additional infos:

only about 20 cars were made

user posted image
user posted image
pfierb
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Oct 16 2005, 08:33 PM)

You are thinking of Humber Supersnipe but that was a sedan or saloon if you live in the UK.
pfierb
QUOTE (Gustl @ Oct 16 2005, 04:45 PM)
once again I'm asking for help rolleyes.gif

what car is this (the red one - it's the same as the green one besides)

all I know is, that it's a british car ...

Looks a little like a 49 Healey 'Sportsmobile'
Gustl
looks similar, but I doesn't match

user posted image
davep
I was thinking it might be one of the AC cars like the original Shelby AC Cobra type. I remember seeing something like that 30 years ago, but can't quite remember the name. It was like Griffith or Griffon or something similar. Possibly a big V8 in a sports chassis.
Gustl
QUOTE (davep @ Oct 17 2005, 03:02 PM)
It was like Griffith or Griffon or something similar. Possibly a big V8 in a sports chassis.

the Griffith is from TVR - a british light weight high power fun car

user posted image
J P Stein
Humm....I have ill served by my memory once again. This is becoming all too frequent here of late laugh.gif
lapuwali
Britain has had dozens of very small volume manufacturers, up until regulation made their lives nearly impossible in the 1970s. Many produced a handful of cars, then disappeared forever. Quite a few made little more than bodies for other cars, or at the most made a simple frame to attach large-volume manufacturer's parts together. If you really want to know who made this car, send one of the photos in a letter to a British classic car magazine. Someone in the UK may know.
mudfoot76
Sunbeam?
Gustl
well, this morning a german guy found the correct solution of this quiz:

Moss Mamba

... never heared about this one wacko.gif confused24.gif
pfierb
QUOTE (Gustl @ Oct 19 2005, 06:22 AM)
well, this morning a german guy found the correct solution of this quiz:

Moss Mamba

... never heared about this one wacko.gif confused24.gif

Boy is that an ugly front end.....Reminds me of the old adage "give an englishman a piece of sheet metal and he will do something foolish with it" but then there is one of the most beautiful cars ever designed the e-type Jaguar.
aircooledboy
The Moss  Mamba, an unusual, stylish 60's sports car which is very similar to the Alfa Giulietta Sprint Spyder in appearance.
Using either Ford or Triumph donors, engines range from 1300 up to 2 litre.
Only 16 cars documented, but evidence suggests 22 produced in total between 1983 and the early 1990's

unusual, stylish 60's sports car. . . 22 produced in total between 1983 and the early 1990's.

Huh?????? smoke.gif
Dead Air
it's an early Subaru Tribeca, roadster
barf.gif
Carl
JP Said:
Humm....I have ill served by my memory once again. This is becoming all too frequent here of late

This is the same JP that daily runs English through a blender here? It must be raining in Vancouver and only grammar books at the library.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.