Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: YES I finally beat the Damn kid in the honda
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
smilie_pokal.gif

Today was our last AX for the year. We had 3 cars in my class (DSP), myself, fellow teener Jeff Margush wavey.gif and the damn kid in the 94 honda civic. I have been chasing this kid all year, always 1/2 - 2 seconds behind him.

Today was a great day, I finally beat him boldblue.gif not by much but it is a win. His time 38.7XX mine 38.609 driving.gif and Jeff was right at 38.8xx so it was close. It was a fast course, actually hit 3rd grear in the straights. Now its time to do all the suspension mods and learn to drive my car again next year. screwy.gif

olav
Awesome!

Congratulations. You beat the damn kid!!

smilie_pokal.gif
jd74914
Ok. I have to ask, whats the honda kid got for suspension that he can usually beat you guys?

cool.gif
rick 918-S
We should have a "Kill Stories" Section.... smilie_pokal.gif congrad's!
gregrobbins
Congratulations!

smilie_pokal.gif
GaroldShaffer
Not sure what all he has done to the suspension but it is a 125 hp EX, so about 25 more hp than us.
dbledsoe
Dood,

Way to go!!! Not much better than beating a Honda with an at least 30 old ride. Too damn cool!!! beer.gif

Have one, better yet, have six on me. Send me the bill, or the amount, and where to send it. I'm buying!!! And I'm serious. beerchug.gif

db
Joe Ricard
Yea, pretty cool when the 914's come out on top. Like two weeks ago when my car put nearly a whole second on the field. Honda S2000 and a street mod civic hatch with Real type R power.
914's still the Autocross. mueba.gif

Good job man. hey did you use the big fatty tires and wheels? Cause that will do it for sure. Hoosiers give my car 2-3 seconds.
jmargush
Congratulations Garold!!
Great job driving.

I only wish I could have put a run togehter to make both 914's come out on top.

But 125hp compared to 95 and 76 is tough to compete with on a fast course.

Good luck with the upgrades this winter.

Jeff

MecGen
You Rock

My nefews 96 Prelude, keeps thumpin me. headbang.gif

You Rock
Later

beerchug.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Oct 17 2005, 03:09 AM)
914's still the Autocross. mueba.gif

Good job man. hey did you use the big fatty tires and wheels? Cause that will do it for sure. Hoosiers give my car 2-3 seconds.

Yep, Love those tires. clap.gif

I only wish I could have put a run togehter to make both 914's come out on top.

But 125hp compared to 95 and 76 is tough to compete with on a fast course.

Good luck with the upgrades this winter.

Jeff you did a great job, you had us both up til the 4th run, and it was way close after that.

After the FFC this coming weekend it will be time to install Engmans long kit, 150lbs springs & adjustable preches, 21mm torsion bars, and the weltmeiser (sp?) front sway bar. welder.gif smash.gif drunk.gif
ChrisFoley
Way to go Garold!!! clap.gif
Brett W
We should have a "Kill Stories" Section....

It wouldn't be to long.

Congrats on beating the kid in the Honda. AS far as suspension, the stock suspension, albiet soft, is very effective. Dual A-arms up front and a 928ish rear suspension. Good camber gain and suspension control. For the last few years a 4th Gen Civic hatch has won the SCCA Solo 2 Championships in STS.

fter the FFC this coming weekend it will be time to install Engmans long kit, 150lbs springs & adjustable preches, 21mm torsion bars, and the weltmeiser (sp?) front sway bar

The car will push really bad on tight autocross turns. You need to go up to at least a 180lb rear spring. Remember rotation is your friend. The front bar is to much in combination with the 21mm torsion bars. I ran 180lb springs, stock T-bars and the big weltmeister bar set at halfway. Any more than that and it was push city in a tight autocross course. Worked great on road couse and a high speed autocross but no good for tight stuff. It would plow really bad. Even with full soft front shocks and a 5lb difference in tire pressures.
J P Stein
agree.gif
21s are too much.....pushcity. BTDT going softer again.

OOPs, sorry, gud job on the Honduh....nice trophy.
GaroldShaffer
We'll see. rolleyes.gif

Currently I run koni adjustable set to full firm, stock front bar, no rear bar,140lb springs and Kuhmo V710 tires with very little negative camber.

After my suspension work I would like to lower the car and inch or two (currently set ~5 inches to the dougnuts), get the camber as to close -2 degrees as I can and corner balance it.

Its all for fun, so we will see what happens driving.gif aktion035.gif
ChrisReale
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Oct 17 2005, 06:05 AM)
150lbs springs & adjustable preches, 21mm torsion bars, and the weltmeiser (sp?) front sway bar.

Did you do the math to arrive at this combination? I ask because "on paper" your set up will probably provide you with more understeer than is desired. Of course, this depends on other factors as well, but...

I have a Tarett front bar, stock torsion bars and 200# rear springs and I use the front bar to adjust the spring rate up front. I have it dialed in just about perfectly.

EDIT***** I just read JP's response, and I didn't mean to basically re-state the already stated...
bender
great!!!

thats the way .... ar15.gif
qa1142
Congratulation! smilie_pokal.gif
nynone4
Nice job Garold!

Just for reference, I'm running stock front torsion bars, a 22mm Weltmeister sway bar in front - stock sway bar in back, 180lb springs on adjustable perches at the back, and Koni Sports set to full hard all the way around. The car rotates very well on most courses, but on the slow corners, it does push just a little. Nothing a little throttle input can't correct, though!

Try running just the heavier sway bar in front first without the 21mm torsion bars and see what you think before adding them. Everything else looks spot - on!
Tobra
Congrats, nice plaque. Surprises me that a civic would give a 914 that much trouble, though I guess they have about 200 bajillion dollars worth of aftermarket support. My daily driver is a GS-R Integra sedan, 170 hp, 2700 lbs with 100% stock suspension. Handles well, but I think the 914 is like it is from another planet it is so much better. I guess just because it feels a lot better, it ain't necessarily so. Those Civic hatches can be VERY light when you gut them.
Brando
QUOTE (Tobra @ Oct 17 2005, 04:50 PM)
Congrats, nice plaque. Surprises me that a civic would give a 914 that much trouble, though I guess they have about 200 bajillion dollars worth of aftermarket support. My daily driver is a GS-R Integra sedan, 170 hp, 2700 lbs with 100% stock suspension. Handles well, but I think the 914 is like it is from another planet it is so much better. I guess just because it feels a lot better, it ain't necessarily so. Those Civic hatches can be VERY light when you gut them.

Gutting them... the 500 watt amp, 2 12" subs and 3 passengers? lol2.gif
jimtab
QUOTE (Brando @ Oct 17 2005, 05:44 PM)
QUOTE (Tobra @ Oct 17 2005, 04:50 PM)
Congrats, nice plaque.  Surprises me that a civic would give a 914 that much trouble, though I guess they have about 200 bajillion dollars worth of aftermarket support.  My daily driver is a GS-R Integra sedan, 170 hp, 2700 lbs with 100% stock suspension.  Handles well, but I think the 914 is like it is from another planet it is so much better.  I guess just because it feels a lot better, it ain't necessarily so.  Those Civic hatches can be VERY light when you gut them.

NICE ONE Brando.....
grantsfo
Wonder if you can beat an old man in a Toyota Echo?
banksyinoz
QUOTE (Brando @ Oct 17 2005, 05:44 PM)
[[/QUOTE]

smilie_pokal.gif

nice to see its the same over there heheheheh
biggrin.gif

but dont forget the chrome wheels hahahah
lol2.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Oct 17 2005, 07:52 PM)
Wonder if you can beat an old man in a Toyota Echo?

confused24.gif I don't get it, is that a dig because you think the honda should be easy to beat? If so pack your stuff and come on up and give him a try mad.gif

Edit: After reading Dave's response I get it. Cool, I would love to see Grant's Echo in action beer.gif
Dave_Darling
No, it's because Grant has majorly modified his Echo into an amazingly capable car for what it is. And he did pretty well at one of the PCA autoXes that he brought it out to.

"You can't turn a pig into a race horse, but you can make one helluva fast pig!"

--DD
Brando
At our first evening Auto-X here in Riverside Region... Some deutschebag in a convertible Z28 had his 3 friends with him in the car. They all had helmets on, yeah, but the guy was tailgating people on the parade lap, peeling out, losing control... everything stupidly possible this guy was doing. After he nailed 3 cones in a row and broke his underglow lights, I haven't seen the guy come back confused24.gif

Probably because we laughed up a storm, the kid (yes, 16 year old kid) was pretty damned embarrassed because he thought he was hot shit. He still got the worst time of the day lol2.gif
GaroldShaffer
One last thing. Brother in-law just emailed me my victory picture he took smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.