Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My linkage is too short!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
I rebuilt my weber idf 40s (which now leak.. gotta work on that) and bought a hex bar linkage kit from Empi. It's listed as a Type IV 914 linkage, and says it's adjustable for different applications. It has about 2" of adjustment on each end, and it says you can cut up to 1" off each end to shorten it further.

Unfortunately, I need to lengthen it by about 1/2" for it to fit my manifolds (no idea what brand they are). I can think of two affordable options..

1. Replace intake to carb spacers with gaskets.

2. Cut and weld an extension onto one of the end ball bolt thingies that screws into the hex bar.

Is it so bad to do #1? (I know the spacer blocks heat) Any other suggestions?
markb
Ummm, bring it to the shop & see what we've got stashed away that might make it work?
John
I remember going to the hardware store and buying a steel HEX shaft that was longer thatn the one supplied in our kit (1986 or 1987). After getting the longer shaft, I had to drill the ends and I believe I used some bushings.....

Can't remember much else other than the shaft supplied was too short. That linkage worked out to be the best one that we tried during our carburetor days.

Good luck
Aaron Cox
are they female heim joints?
bondo
They aren't heim joints at all.. The hex shaft has a threaded hole in each end, and a ball end that screws into it. The threaded portion of the ball end is about 2" long, but even with both ball ends screwed out as far as it can go, the distance between the balls isn't quite far enough. There is a socket for a ball on each carb.

I'm beginning to think the "right" way to fix this is to just extend the shaft of one of the ball ends. (heh heh heh, he said shaft and ball)

I can provide pics tomorrow. For now, it's item 43-5224 here and the hex bar part looks just like the one in the pic from the type 1 kit.

markb: I am planning to drive the 914 to work this week, I won't be near Santa Maria until the weekend.
ArtechnikA
i get 5-6 emails a day from people who want to lengthen my linkage.
i could forward you a few if you want ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.