Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear quarter panel question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
Ok, my quarter panels are not the same. The clearance from the fender to the tire on the left side is different from the right. One side seems more bowed out than the other side. I am just wondering how precise these cars should be? Am I alone with this problem?
Dave_Darling
The amount of space inside the fender always seems to be different, left to right. I don't think they're usually very noticeably different from the outside, though. You may have one that someone "rolled" for clearance, while the other one didn't need it??

That's my guess at this point, at least.

--DD
URY914
Back when my car was "stock" my clearance 'tween the inside rear fender and the tire was about 1/2" different from side to side. But I later found out my car had been hit.

I've seen new or never hit cars with 1/4" differance. Remember this was the early '70's before drug testing at work. And the bodies were built at Karrman not by Porsche. During the same time US cars had door gaps of 1/2". wacko.gif

Paul biggrin.gif
redshift
They ARE German cars... bier! beerchug.gif ...

M
DonTraver
The Porsche plant in Stuttgart still has beer machines in the break rooms, Liepzig does not have beer machines. Later Don
Crazyhippy
Hans holds it in place, Frans spotwelds it...No way these 2 highly trained individuals could have been off 1/4" rolleyes.gif

They probably did one fender friday @4:45 and the other monday morning dry.gif

BJH
URY914
QUOTE (Crazyhippy @ Oct 17 2005, 08:43 AM)
Hans holds it in place, Frans spotwelds it...No way these 2 highly trained individuals could have been off 1/4" rolleyes.gif

They probably did one fender friday @4:45 and the other monday morning dry.gif

BJH

"We want to PUMP YOU UP"

Hanz and Franz
thomasotten
Ok, so how does one "roll" a fender to make them both equal?
Dave_Darling
Stick a baseball bat or other round implement of destruction between the fender and the tire. Roll the car back and forth, keeping pressure on the implement so that it pushes the fender outward gently.

If you have bondo or other body filler (especially older stuff!) in your fender, this is a wonderful way to find it, because it'll crack and possibly fall out. Oops.

Even if there's no bondo, don't go overboard. You can crack the paint if you try too much, and you will pull up on the lower corners of the panel by doing this. Go far enough and it'll be quite obvious, like on the Clewett turbo car.

--DD
Brando
Every Porsche 911 (and 914) I have seen has had that ¼"-½" offset on the left fender. I've called it the "fat ass offset" since it's on most every Porsche production car (not 356s or the front-engine watercoolers).
thomasotten
Mine has the fat-ass offset on the right side. Maybe mine's queer??
rick 918-S
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.