Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine support bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
IanStott
Trying to find a source for a new engine support bar and I'm not doing well. Also when you up your HP is the stock one strong enough ? Is there a source for a stronger one if required? Thanks.

Ian
Moncton
URY914
What year car? The bars are different from early cars and late cars. Late cars are cast iron. I have both types of bars if you need one.

I would say the stock bars will be able to support just about any HP you can come up with in a Type IV.

The bar I built for my car is half the weight of the stock bar but is plenty strong enough.

Paul
Cap'n Krusty
The early bars ARE welded. The Cap'n
groot
I've got a cast spare I don't need. Just cover shipping and it's yours....
URY914
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 17 2005, 08:40 AM)
The early bars ARE welded. The Cap'n

I know. wink.gif

Late bars cast.
Mueller
QUOTE (IanStott @ Oct 17 2005, 09:01 AM)
Trying to find a source for a new engine support bar and I'm not doing well. Also when you up your HP is the stock one strong enough ? Is there a source for a stronger one if required? Thanks.

Ian
Moncton

400 or so HP is the number that Rod Simpson claims for his Chevy V8 conversion kits....yes, he does use the stock bar with brackets bolted to it for the base kits.

IanStott
I e-mailed kevin Groot indicating I will take him up on his kind offer, thanks to all who posted. The weld on my existing bar was a concern for 2 reasons, weld strength and the passenger side was a piece of pipe allowing the bolt to move around, not an ideal setup!

Ian Stott
Cap'n Krusty
You still havwen't told us whether your car is early or late. If it's early, the free bar won't fit. The Cap'n
groot
74 is later, no?
SLITS
Easy way to tell.......

Are the end attachments like the mounts for the transmission (rubber) or do the bolts go directly in to a metal plate (no rubber). 1st is early (tailshift), 2nd is late (sideshift)

And '74....yes...sideshift from maybe mid '72 up.
IanStott
It is times like this I wish I could post pics. According to Kevin the bar he has is the correct one. Anyone able to post pics of both, then I will know for sure so we don't waste Kevin's time shipping me something I can't use.

Ian
914werke
Didnt Mark Bland fab a sweet support bar that was stronger AND saved weight?
IanStott
Mine is a 74, sorry for not posting that, I did give that info to Kevin in an e-mail.

Ian
SLITS
QUOTE (IanStott @ Oct 17 2005, 12:07 PM)
Mine is a 74, sorry for not posting that, I did give that info to Kevin in an e-mail.

Ian

Then you should have solid mounts at the end....rubber pads at the center (kinda) of the engine behind the blower housing....and a big hole on the driver's side for the sideshift shift linkage to pass thru.
URY914
QUOTE (rdauenhauer @ Oct 17 2005, 11:00 AM)
Didnt Mark Bland fab a sweet support bar that was stronger AND saved weight?

I did too. wink.gif
IanStott
Yeah, it is solid at the ends with the rubber engine mounts behind the blower housing, and the big hole for the shifter linkage on the drivers side. The rubbers are in great shape, I know there are solid ones available, but I hear they are noisier. The passenger side is just a piece of pipe welded on, it worked but I don't trust it.

Ian
sublime74
I am interested in either the Mark Bland lightweight support bar or the URY914 lightwieght bar for my '74 914. You have a photo and a price? Will it work with the stock shift rod? Will it work with a dry sump pump?
URY914
QUOTE (sublime74 @ Oct 17 2005, 10:07 PM)
I am interested in either the Mark Bland lightweight support bar or the URY914 lightwieght bar for my '74 914. You have a photo and a price? Will it work with the stock shift rod? Will it work with a dry sump pump?

Here is a picture of my bar....
Mark Henry
Ian, I may have a bar if you still need one...save you the customs hassles rolleyes.gif
URY914
Here is the link to my post about the bar... http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...hl=mounting+bar

But I not interested in building these to sell. Feel free to copy it, take it to a fabshop and have them make one for you. I know several guys here that would do a great job for you (RacerChris and Tony). I used 1” tubing and some 1 ½” angle. Pretty simple really.

Sorry, I really just need the time to work on my own stuff.

Paul
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (URY914 @ Oct 17 2005, 12:28 PM)
Late cars are cast iron.

They're forged steel! wink.gif
Big difference from cast iron, which would be a bad choice for an application like the 914 engine mounting bar. ohmy.gif
piratenanner.gif
URY914
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Oct 18 2005, 05:43 AM)
QUOTE (URY914 @ Oct 17 2005, 12:28 PM)
Late cars are cast iron.

They're forged steel! wink.gif
Big difference from cast iron, which would be a bad choice for an application like the 914 engine mounting bar. ohmy.gif
piratenanner.gif

I stand corrected... biggrin.gif

OK than, they are heavy as cast iron! You're right, cast iron would not be the right/best material.

Paul wink.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (URY914 @ Oct 18 2005, 09:47 AM)
OK than, they are heavy as cast iron! You're right, cast iron would not be the right/best material.

Except that a bar made of cast iron would have to be twice as heavy to be strong enough, and the existing bar could be 25% lighter and still be plenty strong. laugh.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Oct 18 2005, 05:58 AM)
... the existing bar could be 25% lighter and still be plenty strong.

Shoot, I think the existing bar could be 25% as heavy (75% lighter) and still be more than strong enough!!! That mother is a very very solid piece!

--DD
SLITS
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Oct 18 2005, 10:45 AM)
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Oct 18 2005, 05:58 AM)
... the existing bar could be 25% lighter and still be plenty strong.

Shoot, I think the existing bar could be 25% as heavy (75% lighter) and still be more than strong enough!!! That mother is a very very solid piece!

--DD

You outta see what it does when it falls from the racking and hits someone in the head..........no, not me...they guy that was helping me.
spunone
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif ok Slits I had to ask
DaveE
I have an early bar at home taken from a parts car that was in a heavy front end collision. Both ends have about a 15-20 degree bend from the force of the drivetrain moving forward when the car came to a sudden stop. I guess that's why Porsche made them so hefty............
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.