Full Version: 1.7L Oil cooling AGAIN!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brotherbob
edit 1.8 L Oil cooling AGAIN!
Maybe one of the Gurus can help?
Where the hell do all the hoses go ?
Sump has 2 ports.
Oil cooler block has two ports.
When I put the cooler in the front bumper it has two ports.
So which hose goes where? Help a brother out.
Hold on for a few pics. confused24.gif
Brotherbob
mo
Brotherbob
mo'
Brotherbob
yep.
Dave_Darling
The sump ports probably get plumbed to the valve covers. That's an easy way to drain the rocker box area back to the sump. I know similar things have been done with the "tuna can" before...

The cooler block-off has an oil out and an oil in. I don't remember which is which, of course. sad.gif The cooler has an oil out and an oil in; so you want to plumb the oil out of the block-off to the oil in of the cooler. And the oil in of the block-off to the oil out of the cooler...

If the cooler has a lower port and an upper port, the upper one is the oil out. You always want the cooler to fill up; you don't want to give the oil an easy way to go through very little of the cooler.

--DD
Aaron Cox
here is my suggestion.

run a stock cooler. (solves problem number 1)
run a MOCAL sandwhich plate (lets you USE stock oil filter AND has a thermostat that control oil flow to front cooler)
either run drains from heads to deep sump.... or cap it off.

BTW, with your current set up - there is NO OIL FILTER unless you plumbed one upfront.
Brotherbob
Arron got me... I forgot to mention the dual oil filter deal I have too.
So vent the valve covers to the sump? I wouldn't have figured that one , wont the oil seek its own level and fill the valve cover ?
Ok so oil out from the engine port to the cooler , out of the cooler into the dual pass oil filter unit and back to the engine. Right ? Or you could hook this filter unit to run on both sides of the cooler thereby getting twice the filter action?
I have seen the racin' cars with oil cooler lines running in the car ? Why?
I would think go through the front trunk below the car and into the engine bay?
Where's Jake? I am not ready to stab this just yet as I am recovering from a shoulder surgery and my replys might be bias as I am in Vicodenland. piratenanner.gif
Do we need a picture of said filter unit ? I think so I'll be back.
Mark Henry
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 17 2005, 01:51 PM)
here is my suggestion.

run a stock cooler. (solves problem number 1)

agree.gif

Stock cooler...mocal and front cooler if needed...

Put pipe plugs in the sump and forget about it.

BTW whoever built that system should be kicked in the nuts

(On a stock 1.7 none of this is needed...just go stock)
Brotherbob
I guess by looking at the ins and outs you could only use this on the "to cooler side" or "back to engine side" . Comprende? piratenanner.gif
Brotherbob
wheee hoo this is funn. piratenanner.gif
Brotherbob
Its not stock..its a 1.7 with some aftermarket jugs and pistons, (valve relief type) the heads have been fly cut and the valves are bigger than stock.
I will drive the snot out of too. This is Tejas and buddy it do stay hot down here . piratenanner.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Brotherbob @ Oct 17 2005, 12:28 PM)
I guess by looking at the ins and outs you could only use this on the "to cooler side" or "back to engine side" . Comprende? piratenanner.gif

twin filters? unsure.gif

wow. some wierd collection of stuff.

put a STOCK cooler on it... AND use a MOCAL thermostatic sandwhich plate and run lines to a front cooler. THIS way, you retain STOCK oil filter, and you can add another one up in front if so inclined.

AA
Aaron Cox
here is my mocal install.

engine bar is notched to fit oil filter (in new lower position)
the mocal has a thermostat in it, that controls oil flow to the front cooler.
user posted image
Aaron Cox
and, stock cooler is in place, and the front cooler is Supplementary..... (izat a word?)
user posted image
Mark Henry
Do what Aaron said and plug the sump ports.

The dual filter set up can be had at any Hydraulic supply shop….total over-kill and double the restriction so me no like….
Brotherbob
Hmmmmm....now i'm more confused than ever.
I made some ASSumptions like dropping the stock cooler , adding airflow, and a external cooler , sump would....keep my oil at lower temp , give me extra qty, and not be as bothered in the corners with the sump? Long life to the engine was the goal. I just cant fathomn the stock cooler over the above mentioned.....
But you make some good points as in thermostatly controlled and possible fans too. I do think I will vent the valve covers to one of those empi type boxes on the fire wall. Then just cap the sump plugs. Hook up a cooler and call her done? No call to 1800-parts. Maybe rethink my filter unit though.
I need to go out there and grab a set of calipers and find out what size that bugger is . I have a bone stock 1.7 to gage from. Be back in a moment. :Qarl:Ok a bone stock 1.7 was 89mm and mine went 93mm ? So what size does that make her? 1795 so 1.8:bootyshake:
Viodenland.... rocking nana.gif
machina
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 17 2005, 03:44 PM)
and, stock cooler is in place, and the front cooler is Supplementary..... (izat a word?)
user posted image

auxiliary maybe,

anyway, where do the oil lines go after they re-enter the rocker towards the front?

do they go up under the steering gear cover and into the trunk?
machina
QUOTE (synthesisdv @ Oct 17 2005, 04:08 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 17 2005, 03:44 PM)
user posted image

auxiliary maybe,

anyway, where do the oil lines go after they re-enter the rocker towards the front?

do they go up under the steering gear cover and into the trunk?

man, why is your pic coming with the quote function???
Mark Henry
Removing the stock cooler (blocked or not) will actually raise 3 / 4 head temps.

VW did know a bit about cooling when they made the system…
wink.gif
Aaron Cox
davidR,

user posted image
into the cockpit like this, thru the void in the body... to the front trunk.
user posted image
user posted image
hijack over
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Brotherbob @ Oct 17 2005, 11:28 AM)
wheee hoo this is funn. piratenanner.gif

Gee, I wonder what the "in" and "out" embossed on the filter adapter mean? ............................................ Bet they're on the adapter on the filter console, too. The Cap'n
Brotherbob
Oh gee thanks Capt Crusty for ruining my buzz....mannnn!
I was wondering about the sump , maybe returning oil or scavaging oil from here had a benifit?
alfred.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Brotherbob @ Oct 17 2005, 02:35 PM)
Oh gee thanks Capt Crusty for ruining my buzz....mannnn!
I was wondering about the sump , maybe returning oil or scavaging oil from here had a benifit?
alfred.gif

unless you have a turbo or 2 that needs to drain back into the sump... just plug em.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (Brotherbob @ Oct 17 2005, 11:17 AM)
So vent the valve covers to the sump? I wouldn't have figured that one , wont the oil seek its own level and fill the valve cover ?

Check the level of the oil with regard to the level of the heads. The heads are significantly higher than the highest level of oil you'll ever run... If you put enough oil in it to fill the heads, the crank will be smashing into the oil pool and the motor probably won't even run!

I have seen the racin' cars with oil cooler lines running in the car ? Why?
I would think go through the front trunk below the car and into the engine bay?

It's easier to run the lines in the cockpit, because they're out of the way of the wheels, suspension parts, other moving bits of the car. Running the lines under the car exposes them to road hazards--so one speed bump could kill your engine dead, which is not a happy thought.

--DD
Brotherbob
Sump ports plugged. Still think a external cooler with fan and switch seems to be the way to go. I also like the hoses running beside the longs.
Thanks for the help and education ,this board rocks. aktion035.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Brotherbob @ Oct 18 2005, 02:44 PM)
Sump ports plugged. Still think a external cooler with fan and switch seems to be the way to go. I also like the hoses running beside the longs.
Thanks for the help and education ,this board rocks. aktion035.gif

you can use both!

use a mocal thermostatic sandwich plate which allows you to run lines to the front of the car and run an AUXILLARY cooler...with a built in thermostat.

AA
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.