Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trunk Latch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Buckeye '73
FYI - IT WAS AN EASY FIX.

DAY 1 & 2, I ACCESSED THE CABLE FROM THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT AND YANKED.
DAY 3 & 4, FROM INSIDE THE PASSENGER COMPARTMENT, I HELD THE "OUTER CABLE MOUNT" IN ONE HAND AND PULLED THE "INNER CABLE HANDLE" WITH THE OTHER.

PIECE OF CAKE!!!

------------------------------------------

Hey All!

I've inheirited my late grandfather's 1973 914 and will be flying to Albequeque Wednesday to drive it back to Dayton, Ohio.

Someone added a "Porsche" reflector across the back and modified the latch mechanism. (See photo)

Instead of the "push button", there is now a lever/cable type system that runs into the cabin.

When you pull the lever, the trunk doesn't open....

I won't know until I get out there if the latch is stuck or if the cable has broke loose.

Any ideas on getting into the rear trunk to fix the problem??

If not, we'll have a long ride in a convertable WITH the top on... No fun!

Thanks,
Bryce
Rough_Rider
Does it feel like the pull cable is broken? If its still attached the spring mechanism could be sticking. Have someone pull the lever while another sole lifts the trunk.

Otherwise look for a small hoe in or around the S on the reflector. Or look underneath for a access hole. Either way a coat hanger or stiff wire could be used to catch the mechanism.
Buckeye '73
Haven't seen it yet, so not sure if the cable is broken.

The coat hanger is a good idea.

Does a 914 have any "openings" around that area of the trunk?

And your comment about the "hole around the S" makes it sound like there might be one. Is that a common "feature"?

Bryce
goose2
If it comes to worse...it is possible to unbolt the trunk hinges from underneath the engine cover. It's a terrible job and you will have the torsion springs to deal with too...hope it doesn't come to that.
Cap'n Krusty
Savvy installers plan for the day when this "feature" of the reflector mod happens (and it WILL happen), and put a wire down through the trunk floor between the body and the heat shield. look for it. If there's no other way, you can get a bunch of locking 1/4" drive extensions and a 10mm socket, remove the trunk firewall gasket, and remove the latch. Tedious and frustrating, but it CAN be done. The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 17 2005, 12:10 PM)
Savvy installers plan for the day when this "feature" of the reflector mod happens (and it WILL happen), and put a wire down through the trunk floor between the body and the heat shield. look for it. If there's no other way, you can get a bunch of locking 1/4" drive extensions and a 10mm socket, remove the trunk firewall gasket, and remove the latch. Tedious and frustrating, but it CAN be done. The Cap'n

agree.gif

i had good luck with a metal coat hanger. unfold it and make a little hook on one end. open engine lid and remove one of the round plastic cups in the trunk wall.
ideally, have a friend help you out with a flashlight through the other cup-hole on the opposite side.

use the coathanger to pull back the latch. also helps to have said friend pull up the hood once you get the hanger hooked to the latch.

took about 10 minutes of fiddeling ...
smash.gif Andy
airsix
While one person is working the release lever have another person lightly press DOWN on the trunk lid near the latch. wink.gif Doing this takes the bind out of the latch and lets it move more freely. Let us know how it goes.

-Ben M.
goose2
i had good luck with a metal coat hanger. unfold it and make a little hook on one end. open engine lid and remove one of the round plastic cups in the trunk wall.

you're a clever devil...I never thought of that!
Jeffs9146
Here is what it looks like with an electric solinoid. Notice the cable on the right side, thats my backup! You can drill a hole from under the trunk and use the coat hanger to pull down on the arm!

Jeff
reverie
There may be a small 1/8" hole near the center of the PORSCHE reflector. Use a straight section of stiff wire coat-hanger to go thru the hole and push on the metal part that locks the trunk (you know, the metal part that fits in the notch on the spring-part). It takes patience if you haven't done this before; with practice it can be done very easily. If pressing that metal part doesn't release the trunk, that means the spring may not be functioning, so you'd have to lift on the trunk while pressing on the latch thing.

Also, as was said previously, there may be a wire routed thru the trunk floor below the latch... probably not visible at first glance, of course.

That is a nice-looking 914! smile.gif
scruz914
Do you know for sure that the trunk release is a cable run to the passenger compartment? You mentioned that you have not seen it yet. It may have a solenoid release and the cable pull in the passenger compartment goes to the engine compartment release, which may not be working. You may need to look for a button to push.

Once you get the mechanisim figured out the suggestion to push down on the trunk lid to relieve the pressure is a good one.
URY914
Easy...

sawzall-smiley.gif followed by smash.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.