Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Estimated Hours to build a car ground up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
If I decide to save some labor hours so that I can have the cash leftover to buy the trick stuff I want on The Beast, what is the conservative estimate to build the car ground up in hours in my garage?

The car would a bare tub, no harness, not a roller. Everything needs to be reassembled.

At this point, let's assume I will farm out having the power steering put in, but pretty much most of the build will be done by me.

Thanks,

Bill P.
grasshopper
24 if you have jenny's crew wink.gif
nine14cats
Jenny's crew would be great....

But I was thinking of total man hours on the car....

I'm thinking 250 to 300 hours...for a hack like me.... laugh.gif

Bill P.
DrifterJay
well if all the prep work is done on the tub, I would say about 50-75 hours... wacko.gif
Brando
If you have skiline's crew... closer to 5 or 8 smile.gif
DrifterJay
I know...its good to be in socal... biggrin.gif
736conver
4 Years. At least that's what it took me. But she's done.....well almost.
J P Stein
Lessee.....4 weekends a month....8 hrs a day=32 hrsX4months (dec thru march)=128 hrs X 4 years=512 hrs- screw off time= ah..450 hrs (WAG).... I'm slower than snake snot, but that covers most of mine.

So, get 450 guys over to your place for an hour.......... wacko.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Oct 17 2005, 05:34 PM)
If I decide to save some labor hours so that I can have the cash leftover to buy the trick stuff I want on The Beast, what is the conservative estimate to build the car ground up in hours in my garage?

The car would a bare tub, no harness, not a roller.  Everything needs to be reassembled.  

At this point, let's assume I will farm out having the power steering put in, but pretty much most of the build will be done by me.

Thanks,

Bill P.

Bill,

On MS Excel spreadsheet list every task, assign hours, sum or better yet schedule them on MS Project...

add time to get missing hardware
add time for special tool rental
add time for searching for miss-placed parts
add time for wrong parts
add time for parts mods that don't fit

...then multiply that by two! biggrin.gif

seriously, a good project schedule can at give you a baseline but I think you already know that.
jonwatts
Better yet just get started and keep track of everything on the excel spreadsheet so you'll know how long it'll take next time.

Ok really, to help clarify, is this the re-assembly of the painted car and everything (except the power steering setup) is ready to go? Or are there still things that need to be purchased / sourced / engineered?

SirAndy
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Oct 17 2005, 06:44 PM)
I'm thinking 250 to 300 hours...

double that and throw a party if you finish in less ...

beerchug.gif Andy
J P Stein
My personal method is to set a start date & a finish date...I don't wanna think about the in between. It goes something like this:
enthuasim
bust nuts
burn out
time out
restart & slog thru to the finish.
I only missed one ECD...last year..I must be gettin' old.
Trekkor
Bill, would you post a list of each of the basic tasks that needs to get done?

Open the garage up to visitors and delegate.

what's first?

KT
J P Stein
The first thing is to find good help.....that eliminates 99% of us here laugh.gif
DanT
Happy to help out Bill.
Let me know when and where.

Thinking of bringing it in from the cold (JWE)?
There are enough folks in Norcal in the immediate area, I am sure you could get the basics done in a pretty good number of hours.
If the parts are there and a plan is in place I am sure you would be amazed at how fast it could come together.
Let the fun begin...and then the real fun in 2006 on track! biggrin.gif wink.gif laugh.gif
grantsfo
I think John Williamson built a race car from the ground up in less than a couple weeks.
MoveQik
CptTripps could do it in 24 hours. beerchug.gif
JB 914
QUOTE (Brando @ Oct 17 2005, 07:24 PM)
If you have skiline's crew... closer to 5 or 8 smile.gif

is that Weeks, Months or Years? lol2.gif
nine14cats
This is beginning to sound like I had envisioned.....bummer. wink.gif

I still want the shop to work on certain parts of the build, but I can't afford to have all the things I want on it without deferring some of the cost by wrenching on the car myself.

Unfortunately, my new job is going to keep me busy with trave and such.

If I choose to bring the car home it will be an open ended build. If I buy any of the cars I have been looking at, the build is done.

Hopefully the vultures are still circling my carcass....I want them around if I gasp my last breathe.

laugh.gif

Bill P.
ArtechnikA
if it's really "assemble a kit" it should go pretty quickly. this assumes things like all the hardware, nuts, bolts, washers preallocated, heads drilled, QC'd so you don't find yourself under the car with that last nut with the coarse threads that should have been fine...

are all your hoses pre-made, measured, and routed, with their ends on, or do you have a reel of hose and a box of fittings? many hours between those two conditions...

have you already worked out your wiring harness, figured out what gauge, length, and color wire to use for each function? or do you have a big spool of white wire and a big box of crimp terminals?

i think a 911 spends less than 4 hours on the assembly line.
nine14cats
Everything above to be fabbed. No lines precut. All bulk items. Original hardware. Some missing.

It is not a bolt together...more like fab together....

Bill P.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.