Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time for reality...How much?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GWN7
So after driving Smokey my son wants to build a V8 car....

here's what he has on his (wish) list so far........

One of my cars.....the 71 or the 73 huh.gif

A 572/620 Chev (620 hp 650 ft lbs torque) big block @$12,785.00

ZF trans @ $6,000 - 8,0000 est.

Now lets have some fun spending his money...... What else will he need? biggrin.gif (yes he has life insurance)
markb
A good driving school? laugh.gif
bondo
Huuuuge flares.. VERY wide tires... Wheelie bars, and a chute to slow down smile.gif
neo914-6
I'd install an aluminum supercharged 427cid sbc, FI, NEW Mendeola 5 speed gearbox with LSD, IF their street cut version is done...

plus full cage, chassis reinforcement, and "standard" stuff: 911 susp, big wheels, brakes, mufflers, etc...
GWN7
Need prices with the sugestions......he had no idea what the engine & trans cost smile.gif
fiid
I'd find a nice light Japanese V8 - I bet theres a nice Lexus one - or a Toyota truck engine that would pack plenty of punch and might well be cheaper. Or the Porsche engine from the cheyenne.

Stick some turbos on it if it isn't fast enough smile.gif Don't pack on the weight though.
fiid
Buh. I don't really know what I'm talking about - I'm assuming that the big block is a cast iron motor....

Just mean to provide food for thought - seems like there are cheaper ways to get that much power to the ground - and I'm a cheapass 914 owner smile.gif

IMHO it's a shame to add too much weight to the car...

But I've never actually ridden in a V8, so like I said..... I don't know what I'm talking about.
Andyrew
2k for a full sheridan body kit or so.

Another 2k for the wheels to fit that kit,
another 1k for the tires for it
5k for the racing suspension he'll need. including brakes
2k for the tube frame reinforcement
1k for all the interior goodies (seat, harness's, wheel, pedals, ect)
2k for the renegade conversion.
1k for fuel cell and such
and another 2k for some sick ass paint foo

Were talking no budget right??
bondo
Wheelie bars

Chute

Not sure about the street legality of this stuff.. biggrin.gif
GWN7
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Oct 17 2005, 10:17 PM)

Were talking no budget right??

He was looking at Chev crate engins....part # 12498793 and came up with the "idea"....

So no limit on the budget....when he's spending wishfull thinking money biggrin.gif
MattR
Is this the "win the superlotto and put it all on 17 on the roulette table and win that too" money? biggrin.gif
nine14cats
I know where you might get a full RH kit, motor, tranny and wide butt flared car?..... rolleyes.gif

Bill P. laugh.gif
dwillouby
No one makes a kit for a big block chevy.
It wont fit without a lot of cutting and its very heavy.
David
GWN7
QUOTE (dwillouby @ Oct 18 2005, 03:43 AM)
No one makes a kit for a big block chevy.
It wont fit without a lot of cutting and its very heavy.
David

Actually he phoned Kennedy and they make adapters for early big blocks to the ZF, but she didn't know exactly which ones it fit (he was to call back and speak to someone).

Cutting the trunk out is what would be planned. Braced to replace the sheet metal strenght.

The 73 is flaired already.

The loto is 25 mill tomorrow night. biggrin.gif
Crazyhippy
a BBC will not fit into a teener if you want it to even be close to a teener when you are done... it's just too big (now i sound like my girlfriend ohmy.gif happy11.gif )

You can get 650hp out of a SBC fairly eaisly (might have to run race gas or methanol, but hey... it's only $$$$)

There's a sprint car racer out here selling a 412" (i think) SBC including hilborn injection pumps, dry sump and magneto for $8500. Every Sprint motor i've seen locally has been well over 700HP (alot over 800 too biggrin.gif )

The ZF box wouldn't be my 1st choice, Mendeola makes a better box (my opinion) plan 10K-14K for it though

Assuming it's a street car....

Suspension is easy, standard 911 stuff will be perfect ($1000, $400 more to do new pads, struts, seals etc)

Brakes get tricky, you can bolt on 930 stuff, but they might not be enough confused24.gif Renegade has some brakes that rival the brembo big reds for alot less $$$ but again, might not be enough... 993 brakes can be adapted (including all the big racey stuff) but is obscene in it's pricing. Figure from $1500 for renegade or 930, $3000 for brembo, $3500-???? for the 993 stuff. Any will work fine on the street, but the less expensive stuff (including the brembos and base 993 stuff) may endup overheated under extreemely hard track use.

Wheels and tires can run from $1000 complete (boxster take offs) up to????? It wouldn't suprise me if the went over 5K (Custom Kinesis wheels and 18" tires blink.gif )

Radiator will be $1000. Use Renegades, i have not seen anything cool better at any $$$

Plan on $1000 worth of seals. If you're going this far w/ the car, spend the extra money and go 1st class.

Cage is a REALLLY good idea and depending on how well connected you are w/ race shops in your area, and what you want the cage to do(nascar style, flip 15 times and walk away, or something you can take on a date), can run from $1000 to $7000

Fuel cell is another good idea. Someone (fuelsafe???) makes a cell that fits in the stock tank location... $1300

Interior and body work are up to you... depends on what you expect the car to do way to much to guestimate on

If you win, my consulting fee is $250,000. If not... damn
biggrin.gif beerchug.gif

BJH
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.