Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many of you would let your Dad race your 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikelsr
The Lincoln Trail Region of the PCA had a test and tune session on Saturday and there were two 914s there (mine was not on jack stands but I had lost a cylinder). One was a 914-4 (fast) and the other a 914-6 (2.7 - faster)! One of the club members let his Dad drive his 914-6 in the race but the son was the fastest car there for the day smilie_pokal.gif. We ran two different courses on Saturday. This was the first time at that area and we wanted to try a couple of different courses.

Anyway here is Matt's Dad having a blast (did I forget to mention that his Dad owned the 914-6 first). mueba.gif

user posted image
iamchappy
Way to go, if I let my dad drive or race my car it would need a complete transmission rebuild, he would try to shift it like it was a 1940's Willys Jeep.
John
Well it's not exactly mine (in a title sense), but my Dad and I have been driving the same car in DE events for the last 19 years
nynone4
Hi Mike!

Aw shucks....Thanks for the plug. Letting him drive was the least I could do after all he's done to make having the car possible in the first place. Dad's a pretty good driver. With some seat time and getting over his fear of the car, I think he could be VERY competitive. The trick is to get him to come out to more of these events. We had a blast - and hope to do it again in Bloomington!

Hope you get your green beast back on the track soon!
mikelsr
I really enjoyed meeting your Dad. If my Dad was a bit younger I would be able to get him out there in the drivers seat. I think I can get him riding shotgun if he ever makes it down here when we are racing.

I got the green beast back together last night but I won't fire it up until Wed (or try to fire it up). I hope I don't end up with a fried #4 cylinder. sad.gif I think I found the reason it was dropping out under load. If it starts and runs I will know.

M
J P Stein
Here's a pic of my son driving the shit box.
I would have loved to have my dad drive the thing....he passed away about 30 years ago, but was an avid car nut
whose last car was a Mini Cooper S....he'd have been all over the chance to drive the 914. My son is into cars also, so I guess I'm the link between the 2 of em'.
I've had 6-8 guys AX my car...none of em' said it was boring laugh.gif

Reserve your spot for a drive at the WCC AX......no joke.
Some experience is required.
DNHunt
My dad drove my car a long time ago. He never was a car guy but, tried it because I asked him to. My son used it to learn to drive a stick. 3 generations driving the same car. My son is well on his way to being a car guy. When he turns 16 and and the PCA will let him drive he'll do a Driver's skill day and then when co drive at AX. I'm hoping to beat him for a year then I'm sure the young reflexes will pass me by.

Lots of good memories in the POS

Dave
nynone4
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Oct 18 2005, 03:10 PM)

Are you offering a spot as a co-driver? Heheh.

Nice car JP!
turtleman
Great thread. I wish I could have shared a ride with my Dad in this little mastrepiece. He had bugs for commuter cars for many years and would have enjoyed a 914. Unfortunately he was an alzheimers casualty.

I can not think of many better ways for a father and son or even father and daughter to build a great relationship than with these cars as a hobby. Lest I forget a mother/son possibility. Are there any mother/daughter combinations out there???

Chip

J P Stein
QUOTE (nynone4 @ Oct 18 2005, 05:19 PM)
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Oct 18 2005, 03:10 PM)

Are you offering a spot as a co-driver? Heheh.

Nice car JP!

If things hold true, the historics Ax cost 5 bucks a run...hay, it's for charity. Folks that want to drive my car in that can do so.....but there's a limit to how many I'll accept (which I ain't figured out yet maybe 5-10 ), and they must be experienced AXers....the car is not easy to drive...I'll be checking. I'll prolly throw on some old Hoosiers so as not to destroy my slicks.

First come, first serve * when I start a thread* to that effect.
brant
shucks.... I want to come out and drive that monster JP.

Hey.... My dad drives my car a bunch.
when I was 14 I was an onery cuss....
wouldn't hardly talk to my parents.

dad asked If I wanted to restore a car instead of driving grandpa's 4 door pontiac, when I turned 16... heck what was I going to say.

he grew up working in a VW shop that my grandpa used to own/run
so when we started looking for a project car anything VW was top on the list.
lo and behold.. when you sugest a PORSHYA to a 14 year old, its pretty much a given that the response will be yes.

that was the first teener... and they all 3 and a half have been collaberative projects ever since.

this one has my name on the title, but his sweat and blood.

brant

BMartin914
QUOTE (brant @ Oct 18 2005, 08:13 PM)

dad asked If I wanted to restore a car instead of driving grandpa's 4 door pontiac, when I turned 16... heck what was I going to say.

lo and behold.. when you sugest a PORSHYA to a 14 year old, its pretty much a given that the response will be yes.

that was the first teener... and they all 3 and a half have been collaberative projects ever since.

brant

And Brant and his dad are two of the nicest guys I've ever met.

Brant...you..ornrey...no way.
Andyrew
Dad drove mine at the wcc track event.

But since I put most of the work into it, I got most of the driving wink.gif

There has been times he was going to autox it... but either other factors got in the way, or it broke.

Andrew
Aaron Cox
post more pics of your car! smilie_pokal.gif
nynone4
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 18 2005, 10:29 PM)
post more pics of your car! smilie_pokal.gif

Twist my arm! Here ya go Aaron:
nynone4
and another...
nynone4
one more...
jtf914
Great looking cars smilie_pokal.gif

Matt - are you running 7&8's? They look great on narrow bodied teener.

John - Are those just trimmed down GT flares? Subtle difference, but really nice.

-Justin
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (BMartin914 @ Oct 18 2005, 08:32 PM)
QUOTE (brant @ Oct 18 2005, 08:13 PM)

dad asked If I wanted to restore a car instead of driving grandpa's 4 door pontiac, when I turned 16...  heck what was I going to say.

brant

And Brant and his dad are two of the nicest guys I've ever met.

Brant...you..ornrey...no way.

kind of hard to belive a guy who's idea of an "F" word is "Freakin'" could be an onery cuss. lol2.gif

but x2 on the nicest guys part. beerchug.gif
brant
No teasing allowed....

or else!

brant
nynone4
QUOTE (Justin Fischer @ Oct 20 2005, 11:08 AM)
Great looking cars smilie_pokal.gif

Matt - are you running 7&8's? They look great on narrow bodied teener.

Thanks for the compliment Justin. Yes, 7 and 8 inch wide 15" diameter wheels with 205/50 (front) and 225/45 (rear) Kumho V700 rubber. Front fenders are stock and the rears have been "pulled out" a little and the inner lip rolled to fit the 8's in back.
effutuo101
Here is mine at RRC
effutuo101
duh, posted to wrong thread.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.