Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front End Damage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Buckeye '73
OK. Picking up my new 914 this week. It's got some front end damage. (see pic).

PO got quote of $1900 to "pull" front end and "smooth out" hood.

1. Does that $$ sound about right?
2. I've got a client that does body work on classics as a "hobby". Has his own paint booth and everything. He said he just pulled a 20 year old Jag? not too long ago and it was a piece of cake. He'll do it as a favor. Do I trust him???

Thanks,
Bryce
Van914
Bruce,
Where in Ohio are you located?
Van
Buckeye '73
Middletown - Halfway between Dayton and Cincinnati.
Mark Henry
Take a look at his past work...

914's have a bunch of things that need to be "correct" and the average body guy will not know what is "correct". You will have to watch his work and ask here if everything is "correct"....or find a shop that knows 914's.

Do it right the first time.
736conver
I just had my front end pulled out. It was off by about 1/4 inch. The drivers side headlight bucket was also replaced. The guy/company that did it said no problem to fix. But in my ignorance I didnt even think to ask questions. This should be something you should do.
When they replaced my bucket they didnt even try to redo the factory welds. Now I have some lumpy welds that look horrible. But the price was only $600.
You get what you pay for.
Ask many questions.
firstknight13
wink.gif i have a shop repair manual that has all the deminisions you need to fix it. it is also for sale!! rolleyes.gif
dmenche914
If the headlight buckets are pushed in as it appears int eh photos, them it is going to be lots of work, and will take a bit of talent. For the hood, heck, they are cheap at in california,verse the labor to repair one, so for big dents, we just replace them.

Whats the labor rate for a good body shop out near you?

Suggest you check with a local Porsche club (even a 911 or 356 club) and ask for a body shop reference and then get a ball park figure of the repair before buying the car.

If buckets are bent bad out here I'd say close to 2000 - 3000 dollars in repaires easy at a shop ( aone that know what they are doing) with the local $100 per hour labor rate. (San Fransisco area)
MecGen
Hey
Ask him what he pulls with...
He better have a Dozer at a minimum, or some sort of frame machine.
To set it up on a claw and pull is easy 5-10 hours, if you want to remove bumpers, and pull it properly.
Use the hourly door rate at the average shop in your area.

Of course it can be done with chains and jacks, you get what you pay for.

+ Karma your way
Later

beerchug.gif
GWN7
Shop rate of $100 per hr or used hood for $100-$125, I'd go with the used hood. You can get one shipped on Greyhound 1/2 way across the country for about $35.

Work back the price quote: $200-$400 for matrials (paint, sandpaper, primer, ect), Remove and replace the bumper, lenses, fogs, horns, ect...2-3 hrs.....pull car straight 5-8 hrs. Sand, mask, ect....2 hrs The $1900 sounds pretty right on.

Check out your clients work. You might get lucky with what he does.
Gint
Several things come to mind. My .02

You get what you pay for.

A majority of the times I've done business (money changed hands) with friends or family, it turned out bad. The last time I did it trying to save some $$$, it cost me thousands MORE. In your case, your talking about personal business with a professional business client.

Just say no.
mikey
Check the wheel wells for wrinkles. I had slight damage to the left front but it was enough to wrinkle the left wheel well. The first body shop I went to just bondoed over them. I pulled the car out of that shop and brought it to another who straightened everything perfectly.

Also it's tough getting the front piece looking decent if it has been pulled and/or sectioned. In my case I got a new front piece with headlight buckets and had the body and fender man weld it in. It turned out perfect and probably cheaper in the long run.
Brando
If that damage was enough to put ripples and crinkles in some panels, you might be better off having a body shop section in some pieces.

Also keep in mind if the impact was severe enough to tweak the whole unibody the car will never ride true "perfectly". Meaning it could be a safety issue if you brought it out on the track, Or someone who fully inspects the car will notice the imperfection.

Be cautious how you spend your money, provide them specs and ask lots of questions smile.gif
MecGen
Hey Man

It realy doesn't look all that bad, realy.
When talking in $$$ it looks worse, 2 days work.

This type of work goes buy the hour, find the rite shop is 99% of the job here because its mostly labour

later

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.