Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: steering column ideas
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brant
Paul (URY914),

could you post some pictures of what you've done with your steering column, and how it attatches to your roll cage..

I'd love to hear what others have tried too...
I was kinda afraid to molest that big steering bearing too much......

thanks
brant
URY914
Have a look at the post "I weight my car", it is about half way down the page you'll see a picture there. I'll take another pic tonight and post it. I took the stock column apart and I'm only using the the actual bearing which I bolted to the front hoop using the flanges that are on the bearing. I welded two pieces of 3/4" tubing on the hoop and bolted the bearing to it.

I wanted to use a rod end bolted to the bar but it was too much of a PITA.
Paul
brant
Thank you kindly... If you have a chance... to take additional photos... no rush..

I have the weight picture... but was having a hard time making out the how part..

If at some point you take a closer up of what you've described that would be great.

how does it feel now.. I was worried about strength, in that the factory went to great lenth to make that bearing mount very strong..

brant
URY914
It is very heavy, but when I bolt it up using the four bolt holes it is very secure. I also added one of those shims to the shaft which helped alot. I think Pelican sells them. I got mine from Tweeks I think.
Paul
URY914
brant, take a look
URY914
and another....
URY914
and last one.
brant
Paul,

thanks for the extra pictures. That is exactly what I wanted to see...

thanks for going to the effort.

keep us updated on the project
brant
URY914
I need to clean it up a little bit and I'll be taking it back apart to do that. I'll take some more pics then. I was worried when I cut out the dash that I would loose the the correct location of the centerline of the shaft and wheel. So I measuered everything to relocate it when I cut it out. But it is some what self-locating if you line it up with the centerline of the seat, it is easier than I thought. You can't move shaft left or right without moving wheel in and out. Moving up and down also effects the other axis.
I hope I've explained this in a way that is understandable.
Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.