Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: clutch slipping
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruddyboys
I have only drove on flat ground since installing the engine, again. I started to back up a set of ramps to fix guess what? thats right an oil leak. Anyway as I am trying to back up these ramps the car is reving like crazy and sarts to go up and stall. After a few turns I finally get it up on ramps I started tighting the nut at the end of the cable and tried again, just about the same. 1st question, if its the cable that needs to be adjusted to I tighten the nut against the fork or loosen it? I don't want to have to keep driving it up the ramps, do a little adjust again and again. 2nd if I need a new friction disk (or is it called a cluch disk) where is the best price? I remember someone finding a simular VW for $89.
Brando
You don't want a VW clutch. You want a Sachs spring-center clutch for a 914, or a 70s 911 S clutch disk. Most would reccommend a new friction plate (clutch cover, pressure plate) as well. And if your flywheel has a lot of blue/orange/red/black/yellow streaks and grooves worn into it, you might want to consider having your flywheel resurfaced.

Adjusting the clutch cable... Tighten it a bit, go into the cab. The clutch should feel firm after about ½"-1" of depressing the pedal. Any more it might over-extend the cable by the time the pedal gets to the floorboard. If it still gets loose after each adjustment and test, your clutch cable might be breaking or stretching, clutch cable tube in the car may be broken or worse. Be sure to use two nylocks on the clutch cable adjuster by the trans, or some lockwashers between the two nuts.
ruddyboys
How can I tell if it's a broken clutch cable tube?
Cap'n Krusty
The tighter you adjust the cable, the more it's gonna slip. The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 18 2005, 12:55 PM)
The tighter you adjust the cable, the more it's gonna slip. The Cap'n

agree.gif you'll need to back off the nut(s) for more grip ...

smash.gif Andy
scottb
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Oct 18 2005, 03:25 PM)
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 18 2005, 12:55 PM)
The tighter you adjust the cable, the more it's gonna slip.  The Cap'n

agree.gif you'll need to back off the nut(s) for more grip ...

smash.gif Andy

wow, i did not know this. sounds counter intuitive but heh.... learn sumpthin new everyday.... smile.gif

Rand
It's intuitive once you get it. By default, the clutch discs are pressed together by the pressure plate so the power is transferred from the engine to the transmission. When you push the clutch in, the discs are pulled apart so the motor can spin while not engaged to the transmission.

Since the pedal pulls on the clutch lever, the tighter the tension, the less freeplay. Tighten it too much and you have constant tension pulling on the clutch... like pushing the pedal part way so the clutch slips.

On the other hand, back the nut off too far and you have to push the pedal farther before getting clutch action... too much freeplay.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.