Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to or do you know how to convert a tach
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
736conver
How can someone convert a tach to run on a different engine. I have a pre-84 911 Tach that I need calibrated to run on my 87 911 engine with DME.
I called North Hollywood and they want $180 to do it. Has anybody recalibrated one?
Ferg
Nope I just found a 87 tach, and bought it. They pop up on ebay.

Ferg.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (736conver @ Oct 18 2005, 12:36 PM)
How can someone convert a tach to run on a different engine. I have a pre-84 911 Tach that I need calibrated to run on my 87 911 engine with DME.
I called North Hollywood and they want $180 to do it. Has anybody recalibrated one?

Obviously THEY have .................. The Cap'n
736conver
I have been checking ebay but nothing lately. I've call around to EASY, DC auto and some others but it seems they are all out.
Ferg
Call Matt at Carquip, he's a member here, and I bet they have one.

303 443 1343

Ferg
736conver
Thanks, I'm calling now.
Matt Monson
Brian,

Sorry but we've got a handful of 3.0l tachs, but no 3.2's. I don't think a 3.0l would work without recalibration...
Ferg
Bummer, ok then, call Dave at Dartauto

303-296-1188

Ferg
biggrin.gif
goose2
Partial hijack for a related question: I'll be switching from a points/coil 3 pin factory CD box ignition on a 2.4 six...to a breakerless/coil 6 pin factory CD unit on a 3.0. Will I need to change tachs?
Wild 6
I run a modern 3.6L and an old original 914-6 tach. You need to get a MSD 8920 Tach Adapter. Its converts the modern digital signal back to a high voltage pulse.

Pelican Parts: $71
Summit Racing: $48

joea9146
Did u check the 911 classified ads on www.pelicanparts.com
736conver
Well I tried about all the Porsche resources for a gauges no luck. There is someone on ebay that sells them for $250 but I think at that price I will just have mine sent to NHS for $180.
John
Did you try Oklahoma foreign? I have always had excellent results with them.

800-462-2446 ask for Gary
736conver
I just sent it off to NHS. Parts Heaven had one but it was $270. They all seem to be over $250 if you can find one.
DrifterJay
Crusty, get fucking real.... ahole....lol... sheeplove.gif
Steve
How about silver star recycling??
I think I paid $100.00 at silver star.
736conver
I tried all the salvage places I could think of. Everybody was out or over $250.

And now its already been sent out to NHS. I know I will have a good refurbished Tach.

914efi
I've done a few of these by buying a cheapo tach from pep boys and installing the movement into the 911 case. There is minor cutting of the back of the case, but it works for about $30.00. Just make sure you get one with the correct sweep angle.
kdfoust
QUOTE (Wild 6 @ Oct 18 2005, 06:42 PM)
I run a modern 3.6L and an old original 914-6 tach. You need to get a MSD 8920 Tach Adapter. Its converts the modern digital signal back to a high voltage pulse.

Pelican Parts: $71
Summit Racing: $48

Is there any downside to the MSD device? I'm facing the same conversion any second now.

Later,
Kevin
736conver
Is there any downside to the MSD device? I'm facing the same conversion any second now.
Kevin I searched this over on the bird board and lots of guys were having problem with it.
it sounds like 914efi has a good idea about getting a tach from pep boys. I would of tried that but its too late now my gauge is halfway to NHS.
Series9
Any tach from '84 to '98 will work. I have a 993 tach that's electronically stabilized which is really nice because it doesn't bounce.
736conver
Any tach from '84 to '98 will work. I have a 993 tach that's electronically stabilized which is really nice because it doesn't bounce.

Thats a bummer I thought I could only use the 84 to 89 for my 3.2. I found alot of tachs for sale that were 90 and newer.
So why can I find the 90 and newer tachs $100 cheaper then the 84-89 if they work with the 84-89 engine.
Steve
The needles on my 993 gauges look diferent than my 1984 tach.
They have a white outline down the sides.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.