Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brother in law wants a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
This past AX season I have let my brother in law run my car in novice class. He is now hooked and wants one, but he has a budget of $2500 maybe $3000 if he can get the ok from the boss wink.gif

I know he is not going to find a concourse car at that price. In the land of fun & sun I am pretty sure he could get a "solid" 914, but here in the land of salt and potholes I'm not to sure.

Here is what he wants:

Looking for any year 914 with no hell hole or long issues.
Fuel Injected
Safe to drive (brakes are good, no major fluid leaks)
cosmetics are not a big deal
within 180 miles of Chicago (if possible)

If you have something like this or know of one, let me know.

One more thing he might be looking for two of them, his cousin rode along with us this past Sunday AX. He said that he is going to sell the his fishing boat that hasn't seen water in over two years and look for a car laugh.gif
Cap'n Krusty
You're gonna suffer thru all eternity for that one! The Cap'n
GWN7
the expensive part is when the three 914 widows get together and go shopping..... wink.gif biggrin.gif
Dave_Darling
Hmm... Maybe a "rough & ready" early 1.7 from CA for ~$2K. Then $1K to ship it. That would seem to be your best hope for that kind of budget in your area. Either that, or "Road Trip From Hell!!!" biggrin.gif

--DD
nynone4
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Oct 18 2005, 03:37 PM)
the expensive part is when the three 914 widows get together and go shopping..... wink.gif biggrin.gif

Bwahahahah!!! Isn't that the truth! sad.gif

Glad to see the 914 sickness being spread!
Tobra
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Oct 18 2005, 05:03 PM)
Hmm... Maybe a "rough & ready" early 1.7 from CA for ~$2K. Then $1K to ship it. That would seem to be your best hope for that kind of budget in your area. Either that, or "Road Trip From Hell!!!" biggrin.gif

--DD

You could do better than that I think, on the price of the car and on shipping, though it has been a while since I shipped a car.

I got my '74 with two sets of alloys(Fuchs and Pedrinis) for $2k. After I put decent tires on it, it was good to drive. It needs paint, and interior, but is mechanically very sound.

You will need to look, and will need to get something shipped from sunny CA if you want cheap and non-rusty
nynone4
I'm sure you've probably already called Brad Mayeur to see if he knows of any potential cars - he usually either has one or two or knows of them if they are available.
STL914
QUOTE (nynone4 @ Oct 18 2005, 05:27 PM)
I'm sure you've probably already called Brad Mayeur to see if he knows of any potential cars - he usually either has one or two or knows of them if they are available.

I agree with nynone4. I bought both of my drivers from Brad.
In fact, after I retired my 74, it was Brad who gave me two leads on local owners who were considering selling. The 72 that I bought was located 40 minutes from my home and is a very solid car. Bought the car, a spare 2.0 liter motor and a half dozen boxes of parts for $3,000.
type47

--DD

agree.gif that's what my first thought was.....
Pnambic
Wow, I don't know. That sounds like a prime excuse to head out to the WCC next year. It'd be fun to get something and drive it back, wouldn't it? It oughta be near Camp914 next year and he always seems to have a nice selection.

"...but honey, I'm doing a favor for YOUR brother here, ya know?" wink.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (STL914 @ Oct 18 2005, 05:43 PM)
QUOTE (nynone4 @ Oct 18 2005, 05:27 PM)

I agree with nynone4. I bought both of my drivers from Brad.
In fact, after I retired my 74, it was Brad who gave me two leads on local owners who were considering selling. The 72 that I bought was located 40 minutes from my home and is a very solid car. Bought the car, a spare 2.0 liter motor and a half dozen boxes of parts for $3,000.

Yep got a call in to Brad

Wow, I don't know. That sounds like a prime excuse to head out to the WCC next year. It'd be fun to get something and drive it back, wouldn't it? It oughta be near Camp914 next year and he always seems to have a nice selection.

Hmmm now that's and idea idea.gif

"...but honey, I'm doing a favor for YOUR brother here, ya know?"
chairfall.gif slap.gif spank.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.