Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: package deal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zainman
I have the chance to buy a 72 914 that has been in storage for 20 years, it has some rust under the rocker where what I think is the jack mount area but other than that it is about rust free. It has been in a garage, motor doesn't run and it is a 5 speed. Next the same person also has a 75 911 Targa that has been sitting for years , this one is a rust bucket but supposedly only has 8k on the rebuilt motor it is also a 5 speed. I can get both of these for a steal. I would like to transplant the 911 motor and tranny into the 914. what else can I take from the 911, I know I can use the front suspension but what else can I use?
Mark Henry
Welcome to our crack habit smoke.gif
spare time toys
I would get the stuff home then figure out just what all is shot on both cars and work out any title issues on the one you want to build BEFORE you spend a great deal of time on either. If it turns to crap you can part them out and recoup your $$$
goose2
Welcome to our crack habit

Yup...sounds like a readymade backmonkey. You might be able to use the front suspension, brakes, master cyl, wheels, instruments, muffler, some oil system parts, and some electrical bits as well as a friendly loan officer and 2 sets of jackstands.
zainman
How difficult is it to make this tranny work in the 914?
dakotaewing
QUOTE (zainman @ Oct 18 2005, 09:22 PM)

Just start off with the one in the 914... or, bring cubic money to use the 915...
Well, maybe not cubic, but 5x to 10x as much....

TE
goose2

not sure which tranny that 911 has...it's either the same as the 914's (type 901 with flipped R&P) or it's a type 915. 915 is stronger but it will cost at least a couple thousand to make it work. The 901's are fine up to 200 HP or more, depending on how you drive.
DBCooper
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Oct 18 2005, 02:14 PM)
I would get the stuff home then figure out just what all is shot on both cars and work out any title issues on the one you want to build BEFORE you spend a great deal of time on either.  If it turns to crap you can part them out and recoup your $$$

Isn't that about how problems began with #4? I'm a little gunshy of old cars without titles now. Would not have imagined how that could have caused so much grief.
zainman
I originally wanted to do a v8 conversion, but this deal came up so might as well keep it Porsche..... for now. If I have to use the tranny in the 914, how much more could I do with the 2.7 that's in the 911, I've built many a motor over the years and raced quite a few, but they all were American, but a motor is a motor and I'm not afraid to tackle anything. Is it possible to use the rear brakes and rotors and put them on the 914, I know the rear suspension is different. Is there a thread here to put me in the right direction?
lapuwali
QUOTE (zainman @ Oct 19 2005, 04:06 PM)
I originally wanted to do a v8 conversion, but this deal came up so might as well keep it Porsche..... for now. If I have to use the tranny in the 914, how much more could I do with the 2.7 that's in the 911, I've built many a motor over the years and raced quite a few, but they all were American, but a motor is a motor and I'm not afraid to tackle anything. Is it possible to use the rear brakes and rotors and put them on the 914, I know the rear suspension is different. Is there a thread here to put me in the right direction?

You can probably go about as crazy as you dare on the 2.7 and still not have gearbox problems with the 914 'box. The 915 requires a completely different linkage arrangement to fit in the 914, and the only one available off-the-shelf right now costs quite a lot of money (the WEVO setup). The 915 weighs a good deal more than the 914 unit, and there are some that say it's not really that much stronger. V8 conversions have to worry about this stuff, but you generally don't need to be concern with a Six until you get into 3.6 territory.

The entire rear brake assembly (with the e-brakes) can be adapted to the 914 rear suspension, but it's not a bolt-on. It's been described a couple of times on this site, and Eric Shea, in particular, can help you there. A search should find what you want.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.