Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Taking a plasma cutter to my dash board
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
Okay, after work I thought I would get the dash off, get most of the wire harness pulled back to at least the engine firewall, and get all the junk out of the front trunk.

Well, none of those three things got done. The front trunk still has lights, some wires, and brake fluid lines - everything else is out. The brake lines I just got lazy and did not want to deal with draining.

The wire harness, well its still attached to the headlights, so its not going anywhere.

And the dashboard. That mother fsking dashboard....
How do you get the SOB out of there? I have the 4 bolts undone from the front trunk. I have the side bolts out by the air vents. All the instuments, vents, wires, and knobs are out. The vynal trim is off the dash face. The steering wheel is hanging on my wall. The only things left in the dash are the glove box and the mount for the ashtray.

I can get the dash to move around, but I can't get it out of the car. Do I need to remove the seal around the inside of the widshield? I realized that I was getting too frusterated to be useful, so I closed up my haynes manual and came inside to querry the 914 hive mind.

Thanks all,

Zach
SirAndy
first, the dash is composed of two separate components.

the dash top and the metal subframe.

for the dash top, you'll need to remove all of the plastic (!) nuts that hold it to the subframe. do a search here for pictures with the exact locations.
some a pretty hard to get to.

for the subframe, one the dash top is removed, it's pretty clear what to do.
you got the 4 bolts in the front trunk which is gud!
there's another 10mm bolt that holds the heater control to the firewall. you'll have to undo that to move the dashframe.

take the top off first, it'll make it a lot easier to remove the metal sub-frame ...
smash.gif Andy

PS: as always, the search here will save you some frustration ... use it!
beerchug.gif
flesburg
IF YOU INDEED have all the nuts off inside the front trunk...make sure get a flashlight and mirror and look close, then there is a bracket under the dash that goes to the firewall, make sure it is unbolted, and

Take off the seal between the dash top and the windshield, and I think you can pry it up and toward the rear and it MAY come out.

I have removed them, but always with the windshield out of the car. And I always reinstalled the dash before I replaced the windshield. Makes it a lot easier to install them.

You MAY have to take out the windshield. Are you going to eventually replace the windshield anyway? If so, remove the windshield.

Are you going to reinstall it or are you building a race car? I took one out of our track car last year and already had a roll cage in the car. I had to cut it in pieces to get it out. I was able to get the padded top out in one piece, but had to cut up the sheetmetal "dash board".

Good luck
VaccaRabite
QUOTE (flesburg @ Oct 18 2005, 08:32 PM)
Are you going to reinstall it or are you building a race car? I took one out of our track car last year and already had a roll cage in the car. I had to cut it in pieces to get it out. I was able to get the padded top out in one piece, but had to cut up the sheetmetal "dash board".

Eek. I don't want to cut up the dashboard. Or have to break the windshield out. The windshield is in pretty good shape. If I need to replace the seals around it, I'll take it out to do that, but other wise, I'd like to leave well enough alone.

Tomorrow, I'll look for those plastic nuts. I saw the ones behind the steering wheel. The haynes manual never mentioned anyhting about the plastic nuts. Of course, I am finding out that there are a lot of things that the haynes manual odes not mention. ar15.gif

Okay, I am going to try and clear the dirt out from undermy fingernails and head off to bed. I have to be at work way to early tomorrow.

Zach
John
The big thing is to take the dash top off first. And yes, remove the A-pillar trim.

You can get it out without removing the windshield, but it is easier without the windshield in place.

Like was stated earlier, make sure the heater/ventilation controls are loose. Are the heater/ventilation cables still attached to the controls? Are they loose from the rest of the car?

No I didn't cut it. I did bend the hell out of it to clear the roll cage. The frame I cut up was one of the parts car dashes.

Yes the top and bottom pads came out single piece as well.

Good luck.
VaccaRabite
All the venting bits and controls are out of the dash. I don't have a roll cage, and don't plan on adding one. This is goign to be a street car that sees _occational) AX time rather then a race car the sees occational street time. :-)

I'll pull the trim and reseal with new window sealer.

Zach
John
Are you still having problems getting the dash out?

As I recall, the leading edge of the metal dash frame must pivot upward to clear the studs protruding into the front cowl area. if everything else is loose, the dash will come right out. This is where it may be easier to pull the windshield, but I think you can do it without pulling the windshield.

Good luck.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Oct 19 2005, 10:07 AM)
Are you still having problems getting the dash out?

Between the time of posting and going to bed last night, and going to work this morning - I just have not had time. Looked over some of the older dash removal threads and will try again tonight after work.

Zach
MikeP
Have fun with those plastic nuts, as I recall there are 2 that are a real bitch.
VaccaRabite
And....

IT'S OFF! smilie_pokal.gif

My interior tub is almost cleared! I found all but one of the plastic nuts (well, 2 of them were metal...). The last one pulled out of the dash when I removed it. Looks like the plastic clip will clip back in.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.