Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Optimum Voltage Regulator Voltage?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Spoke
When I purchased my 914 2 years ago, the voltage regulator was sagging and the operating voltage was only about 11.5 volts. Instead of purchasing a new regulator, I made a little circuit to boost the voltage regulator output by raising the bottom of regulator with a diode stack by cutting the D- wire and adding the diodes. Had some oscillation issues between the diodes and regulator so had to add the transistor to limit kick back from the regulator as it turned on and off the voltage to the alternator stator on DF.

Anyway, now that I have a volt meter in my center console, I measure the voltage at speed to be about 15 to 15.5 volts. What is the optimum voltage during operation? I can lower the voltage by removing diodes.

Thanks,
Spoke

ps: yeah, I know, I could just go out and buy a new regulator. Then again, I had fun building the circuit and the $$ I saved was well used on a round of golf.
lapuwali
That's too high, you'll cook your battery. Use 13.5 to 14.5 as a good range.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.