Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Using Standard Engine Stand?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
Anybody out there utilized a standard engine stand without the $150 engine yoke to mount a 914 and/or a 911 engine? I was going to order the $150 engine holder but a buddy told me somebody he knows was able to mount an engine with a few adjustments to a standard engine stand. Anybody have any photos?

Thanks
ArtechnikA
it *can* be done.

it's just not a good idea.

it's not too horrible if you're actually using all 4 arms, but you'll never split the case that way.
IanStott
I have mine on a normal engine stand right now with no problems and yes I have all 4 bolt holes occupied. It does negate splitting the case but I wasn't doing that anyway.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Mark Henry
You can get the cheap bug stand but it's only good for the short block...it starts to bend the ears after that.
Use the cheap one for you shortblock, then put it on the universal stand.
IanStott
Mark I sent you an e-mail yesterday, did you get it?

Ian Stott
Moncton
SLITS
There are two way to use a "standard" engine stand....

1.) Notch the fingers so they clear the "case ring"

2.) Cut spacers to step the finger away from the case ring.

I have done both. The case can be split if you use two of the fingers on the same side of the case.
rhilgers
just buy a big V8 stand, toss the L shaped brackets

then buy a bellhousing of a VW bus 091 trans.
Thats the dark bottom section of the trans on this page
http://www.davesport.com/rally/mycar/mycar.htm

Usually two of the bellhousing holes will line up with the flat side of the engine stand plate. Drill two more then bolt the bellhousing directly to the flat plate of the engine stand. Do not use the holes for the engine mount here ;-)

Grind a hair off the inside bellhousing if needed to clear the flywheel.

The 914 engine will now bolt up using all 4 transmission bolts and you also have a starter mount ready to go to test the engine out of the car.

-Rich Hilgersom
yeahmag
I got the adapter from JC Whitney and modified it a bit. Basically I drilled new holes to allow it to rotate in any direction and still get "pinned" in the Harbor Freight Stand.

JC Whitney Part Number: ZX128021U

This held my engine fine, even with the heat exchangers still attached! I mounted it (after drilling new holes) so the case would split. That's the key - Supported top and bottom. No bending!

-Aaron
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.