Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine builders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
badarse944s2
I am getting ready to put a good bit of money into a 6 for my 73. the company i was thinking about going with was Motormeister because they have a "quick six fix kit" that comes with everything needed for the transition. The engine is prerun and all set to go. Does anyone have experience with them or heard anything about them. If it's bad does anyone have any reccomendations for a company that has a kit for a pretty comparable price? thanks for all your help. ~Wells~
SirAndy
QUOTE (badarse944s2 @ Oct 19 2005, 03:43 PM)
Does anyone have experience with them or heard anything about them.

about once a month ... we get this question ...

do a search here for them, and be prepared for some pretty harsh language ...
beerchug.gif Andy
DrifterJay
motormeister....crap...rebuilt engines using old used parts....they make shit work...doesnt mean well....you get what you pay for....someone will chime in on good sources for reputable shops...
ArtechnikA
the quick is for now, the dirty forever...
run, Forrest, run.
get a Rich Johnson mount and do it right.

a search here and on Pelican will reveal all you need to know about MotorMeister's rep.

you can do better for engines, too...
badarse944s2
Well I guess who I know I'm not getting my engine from. Those are some pretty nice posts about Motormeister. I've heard before about them but thought maybe they were just isolated incidents...guess not. does anybody have an opinion on who to use? the engine kit from motormeister was going to cost me 8485.00 for eveything including k&n air filters and MSD ignition. My main thing is I've changed out motors before but they were stock and going back with the motor the car was designed for. I've never done a conversion that requires so much different stuff to run. That's why I was looking for a kit. Any more help is greatly appreciated. ~Wells~
Brando
My dad sent my mom's 911SC there back in april.

*checks the driveway*

Hey guess what, no 911SC!

They build motors to go kaput. They've spent more on hype than building good motors. Their reputation will always preceed them, because they build up a lot of false positive advertising.
ArtechnikA
the following is my opinion; there are other opinions.
engines are out there, you have to decide what you want in broad strokes and then be flexible on the opportunities as they present themselves. you also have to have a pretty good idea of what you want out of it when you're done. weekend car? daily-driver commuter car? serious autocrosser? DE car?

here's *ONE* possibility i'll float for you - i'm selling a 2,2E long block. it's tired, but i donno how tired yet, i still need to get compression and leakdown numbers. it was my daily driver for 2 years and flawlessly reliable. i need to keep the MFI and the 911 exhaust won't help you. but it's elsewise complete. add some Webers, find some headers, and you'll have a driver that'll get you on the road. you would be looking at a rebuild "some time" in the next couple of seasons. but the price is right.

you'll need the usual 6 conversion stuff - engine mount, oil tank plumbing, miscellaneous.

K&N's may or may not be the hot ticket; the factory air cleaner assembly (into which you can insert a K&N insert if you like...) is pretty darned efficient. MSD ignition is cheap - although i prefer the Crane stuff.

lots of people say don't bother with anything under 3,0 and there's something to be said for that opinion.
Lot's of time,you get what ya pay for.

I would RUN if you plan on keeping this conversion for a while.

I know of people that worked there , and you really don't want to know dry.gif
kdfoust
I'm in mid-conversion right now on my '72. I never even considered MM. There are enough resources "out there" to get you through any conversion. Hell, I'd never really looked at a conversion car in a detailed way until I started on mine.

Later,
Kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.