Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weight of 914 Engine & Tranny (separate)??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
Have a spare engine (1.8l) and tranny in storage and thinking about tearing into them this Winter. Can two guys pick them up and put them in the back of an SUV? Any suggestions on the best way to hoist (i.e. palletized, etc?)?
John
Two guys should be able to pick up a 4-cyl 914 engine. One guy can pic up a trans.

I have picked up a 2.0 without all the sheet metal and fuel injection ALONE! I saw one guy pick one (a 2.0) up out of a trunk once.
maf914
agree.gif

Two guys can lift a T4, but what makes it awkward is the sheet metal which makes getting a solid hold difficult.

Tranny is a one man job, but two doesn't hurt. laugh.gif
URY914
It really helps if the engine bar is on it.
You can use it for a handle.

Two guys can do it. Three would be better. Four would be a party.

i love porsche
i took the engine+ tranny in and out of my truck with 3 guys...

and yeah, the engine tin makes it awkward
SLITS
Engine weighs 300 lbs and the tranny weighs about 80 lbs......you be the judge.
Dave_Darling
A buddy and I hauled my 2.0 into and out of his truck, no problem. I had all the intake, exhaust, engine tin, etc. off of it, though. And I have lugged my transmission around by myself. The sweatpants I was wearing at the time wound up with a permanent stain the size and shape of an output flange, though... Moly wheel-bearing grease does not wash out of most fabrics!! biggrin.gif

That's OK, they were already "garage clothes" by that point anyway.

--DD
brer
you need sweatpants made with Krypton ™ fabric Dave.

smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.