Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Securing rocker panels, rivet or screw?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tobra
Getting things together and was wondering a few things. The rockers are secured with rivets. When y'all have taken them off for painting, have you used screws or rivets to put them back on.

Mid-america has the rivets. I have no experience with pop rivets, do you need a special tool to use them? Once I put them back on, it is ulikely I will ever remove them again, so it does not matter that I would have to redo the rivets to get them off.
Allan
I don't have either one. Mine are just held on by the bottom and fender well screws. They stay on well and are easy to remove for cleaning...
double-a
i reinstalled mine with stainless screws and washers.

~a
John
I use rivet nuts. This way they stay in place (with machine screws) and don't rattle.

I made my rocker panels from steel as the fiberglass ones are so weak.
Mueller
a rivet gun is dirt cheap, you need to know the diameter of the hole and the grip length for the rivet (how thick is 2 pieces of metal sandwhiched together, just measure the rocker panel X2)

Most hardware places only sell steel or aluminum so they'll be the wrong color (OEM is black plastic), unless it's a show car, no Sin in my book to use aluminum rivets in that application
type47
rivets from the local hardware store. you might be able to find stainless steel ones. unless you're a CW, (no offense intended), use common (cheap) ones that you don't care if at some time you drill them out to remove the rocker.

PS, everyone needs to know how to use a rivet gun in case they need to rivet their battery tray to the mount wink.gif
North Bay 914
Bring it down, I have the tool you will need and stainless rivets...I am off on Sunday.

Martin
Tobra
Martin, you are too kind, but I have to wait until my piggy bank is full enough to cover a paint job. I am just getting my ducks in a row, so to speak. I think I am going to rivet them on. They have the plastic rivets at midamerica, if anyone is looking

BTW, have not heard back from the guy with the gauges you seek
Rand
This is one of those controversial subjects. But I say use what makes sense to you. Is this a concourse show car? If so, use rivets that look like the factory ones. If not, tell me what's wrong with screws.

My perspective: Rivets are fine on a permanent attachment. Screws make sense on a removable attachment. I consider rocker panels a removable piece because I want to get in there occasionally. So I use screws.
Dave_Darling
If you need "STOCK ONLY", then rivets are the only way to go. You can use a permanent marker to "paint" them black to match the stock plastic ones.

Yes, you'll need a rivet gun to install them.

Otherwise, I'd just use screws. It'll be a lot easier the next time you want to clean out behind the covers--just remove them completely, rather than having to only undo the bottom screws and swing the bottom of the cover out.

--DD
Tobra
Rand and DD make persuasive arguments for screws. It is not like I am going to ever enter it in any concours events or sell it.
North Bay 914
QUOTE (Tobra @ Oct 20 2005, 02:04 PM)
Martin, you are too kind, but I have to wait until my piggy bank is full enough to cover a paint job. I am just getting my ducks in a row, so to speak. I think I am going to rivet them on. They have the plastic rivets at midamerica, if anyone is looking

BTW, have not heard back from the guy with the gauges you seek

No problem, I sent my 904 combo gauge today Palo Alto Speedo Repair to get it repaired, cal'd, and the silver button added to it. You can call off the search...I thank you for your effort in trying to locate one.

As far as the rivet vs. screw thing, personal choise, I can drill rivets as fast as you can remove rusted/stuck screws, and I don't have to worry about them backing out, and installing is just as fast....
davep
The original plastic rivets are reusable. They have a pin that expands the legs. Push the pin through to unlock the rivet. Save both halves and reuse them. No 'tools' required. Won't rust or corrode. What could be better?
type47
Rand and DD make persuasive arguments for screws. It is not like I am going to ever enter it in any concours events or sell it.

yeah, but when you install the 3.2L six and the flares, you will need to change to the rockers that go with the flares laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.