Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lucas Oill Treatment?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gearren
I was wondering if anyone uses lucas oil treatment in thier 914, I have been thinking about using it, but I don't know if it is too thick, and minght starve the engine of oil, leading to overheating. So does any one know if it is ok to use say like a quart of this in my oil?
URY914
I would never use an oil additive in any of my engines. No engine manufacturer has ever recommended them.

I'm sure Lucas, STP, etc etc, etc can provide all the test data in the world. (Tests that they paid for of course) But it's not for me.

Sorry, I don't mean to bust ya.

Paul

xitspd
QUOTE (URY914 @ Oct 20 2005, 05:04 PM)
I would never use an oil additive in any of my engines. No engine manufacturer has ever recommended them.

I'm sure Lucas, STP, etc etc, etc can provide all the test data in the world. (Tests that they paid for of course) But it's not for me.

Sorry, I don't mean to bust ya.

Paul

agree.gif
machina
QUOTE (URY914 @ Oct 20 2005, 08:04 PM)
I would never use an oil additive in any of my engines.

I agree with paul here...

I tried this problend additive. All the data said it would drop my engine temps and the drag racers said it was the best, etc...

It was like $20 a bottle and I needed 2 bottles, it did absolutely nothing for temps.
messix
look here and read first. bob is the oil guy independant tests
gregrobbins
Andy (Wild6) has a great deal of mechanical knowledge about the 914s and their parts. I asked him specifically about the Lucas addative. He indicated that he had been informed that it "foams" at high RPMs. That does not sound good to me.

Andy also likes and uses Mobil 1, but you will find a number of people on the board do not like synthetics. Read, read, and read some more, then make up your own mind.
IanStott
Use any top quality oil, change it often with filter and don't forget your screen, keep an eye on your temps as a habit, fix oil leaks as required and don't spend your hard earned dollars on additives. People with very expensive engines who are in the know will tell you the same thing. Did you that military spec oils are compatible with each other, it is a requirement at the manufacturing level. Military spec engines are quite expensive and additives on not on the menu.

Ian Stott
Moncton
canada
bd1308
okay, Lucas oil treatment is mean stuff....

don't buy

and for heaven sakes dont let that stuff drip onto your HEs.....

I couldn't breathe from that stuff....it was literally killing me.

bad stuff, dont use

b
spare time toys
And now for the other side. I use it in the Suburban. It has the bad engine with the piston slap at start up that GM flipa.gif says is normal and all engines in this sieres are suposed to make this sound. When I use the Lucas oil treatment for engines it doesnt make the noise as long or loud. My temps are the same and who could tell for gas milage in that hog. I will keep putting it in just to stop the noise if nothing else. confused24.gif
URY914
I guess if your valves need adjusting and are making a lot of noise you could add it to make it sound better. Of couse, you'll loose a valve seat or drop a valve but at least you won't be hearing the noise. laugh.gif ohmy.gif

P
maf914
I agree with the opinion that additives are not necessary. How many auto manufacturers recommend they be used in their engines? idea.gif

But, having said that, I will admit that I used an additive named CDC in my 92 4-cylinder Nissan pickup, with 165,000 miles, for a few years. The engine had developed a mild clatter when cold which I guessed may have been a lifter. The CDC additive claimed to free-up hydraulic lifters so I gave it a try and it seemed to work. rolleyes.gif

Does that make me a bad person? laugh.gif
URY914
QUOTE (maf914 @ Oct 21 2005, 04:57 AM)
Does that make me a bad person? laugh.gif

wink.gif Well, now that you ask... happy11.gif biggrin.gif

Joe Bob
Snake oil.... screwy.gif
Brotherbob
Well lets not get our cart before our horse here fellas.....remember major mfg also sell repair parts!!!
I would say that it depends on how old is the technology is that you are using. In that I mean if your still using single grade oil, a multi grade oil would be a step in the right direction.
Now for Lucas, slick 50, teflon and others I think that for the most part they offer SOME good ideas but for the most part are simple snake oil.
But stop and think about Cyro- hard engine parts and diffs NASCAR and others use , I'm sure the big 3 would not implement the technology due to cost, but it would save a bunch of engines and drivetrains.
BTW I use STP engine treatment for engine assembly and nothing else.
What about silicone impregnated engine bearings? They last 2x as long as normal bearings.
Just dont anything for granted,they want to sell product.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.