Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Little help from my friends
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
db9146
Folks, I have a few questions about hubs and rear 5-lug conversions. I have a pair of the 914-6 rear stub axles and two different styles of 911 hubs, one pair that I believe are early ones ('71) and one pair from a '78. Both have 28 splines. and other than the length of the studs, appear to have the same dimensions. The early one is on the left and the later one on the right. Does it matter which ones I use?

db9146
Another - early on the left, later on the right

db9146
BTW, what's the best way to remove the inner bearing race still on the later hubs?
Aaron Cox
to remove the race, borrow a puller....

BUT. i think the late hub cant be used, becasue of the thing sticking out of the middle.....would it interferre with the brake rotor? cant remember....
db9146
BUT. i think the late hub cant be used, becasue of the thing sticking out of the middle.....would it interferre with the brake rotor? cant remember....

Thanks...if that's all it is, no problem. I'm using larger 911 rotors and brakes.

Aaron Cox
im not sure.... i was always told pre 74 hubs.... idea.gif
Mueller
I "think" the 911 (that one) uses a different rear bearing...measure the height of the bearing surface (might be hard with the race still on there)

the 911 one should be longer
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Mueller @ Oct 20 2005, 08:04 PM)
I "think" the 911 (that one) uses a different rear bearing...measure the height of the bearing surface (might be hard with the race still on there)

the 911 one should be longer

i thought the bearing OD was larger and the bearing ~10mm wider?
Eric_Shea
Use a MAPP torch and get it very hot. You then may be able to grab it with heavy gloves and pull it off. If not, gingerly tap on opposite sides with a screwdriver until it slides off. I've done this a number of times. A puller would be difficult without a solid center.

The 71 and 78 should have different dimensions on the shaft. The bearings are different between model years as well but the ID may be the same (don't recall).

The centering ring won't interfere.

Use the early one on the left
db9146
That's it....I wasn't looking closely enough. Although the OD of the bearing surface is the same, the length of the bearing surface of the later model hub is 5 MM longer than the early model - 35MM (early) vs. 40MM (late).

Thanks a lot....I guess I'll be using the early ones.
fiid
I got a bearing innard off by cutting into it most of the way through with a dremel cut-off tool. Then take a wedge shaped something and hammer it into the slot and the remaining material will just break. Then you should be able to pry it open a little and slide it off. Don't cut deep enough to get into the hub material tho.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.