Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Good Mechanic/Garages in NJ
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aturn
Hello,

I live in central NJ...Westfield which is in Union County. I have a 95% orig. 1976, fully optioned (incl A/C) 914 with less than 50K orig. miles on it. Yes, it is currently driveable and always garaged. However, since it is silver, the typical crackling problem must have occured as the 1 former owner repainted sections of the car. I would like to have the car restored from an outward appearance while possibly having the engine built out. Does anyone know of a good mechanic and/or body shop that they would trust in my area? I am also considering a Raby engine build for more streetable power.

The car is in very nice shape, but I want it to be a bit more fun and better looking. "Fortunately," I have 3 young kids, incl. twin babies, and I do not have time to do any of the work myself nor would I want to jeopardize this rare year with amateur work. My only other thought would be to sell it if any of you were willing to pay the right price for the most collectible 4 cylindar year.

Please provide me with your thoughts, suggestions, etc. All will be appreciated. My direct email is aturnof@yahoo.com if you want to speak in private or get more involved in some maneer than in this forum.

Thank You,

Aaron T.
Kerrys914
Welcome... beerchug.gif

Remember we joke around and poke fun at others when the reply posts start to come in type.gif

plas76targa
The was a place called Carranza Racing (??) in central, maybe south/central NJ. It's been years since I've been there. A colleague at work had his 911 redone there (in say 1988). Sorry, I have no clue whether they are still in business. Maybe someone else here may recall them.
TimT
Washingtons Crossing: "That Foreign Car Place" forgot the owners name just now.....Dan ____

or we could do it, but we are located in NY on Long Island
aturn
Rutners,

I grew up on LI in Wantagh...you are in Freeport? I am looking to essentially clean up the the exterior with a new paint job and minor body work (bad partial panel painting by orig owner on silver crackle prob), build out the engine a la Raby style but still as a streetable/highway car, and making sure all accompanying systems are up to the challenge of more hp safety and reliability wise.
type11969
Small world, I grew up in Westfield! I dropped you an e-mail.
i love porsche
its good to see another Aaron in NJ =]

welcome
nein14
Carranza Restoration is no longer there went out of business. A guy by the name of Tom Woodford was the owner. Nice guy I bought my first Porsche through him. I heard he moved to Kalifonia.
aturn
Hey,

I love porsche in Nutley. I heard there is some place in Nutley or an adjoining town where there is an old time porsche mechanic at some place with a German sounding name ( how original ). Motorwerks, or autowerks, or something with bahn at the end of it. Do you know of it?
i love porsche
hhmm....ive never heard of anything like that around here...

i work at Exclusive Motorcars, in montclair with Gary Bohrman, he has been there for the past 30 years or so....
jet1
QUOTE (aturn @ Oct 22 2005, 08:59 PM)
Hey,

I love porsche in Nutley.  I heard there is some place in Nutley or an adjoining town where there is an old time porsche mechanic at some place with a German sounding name ( how original ).  Motorwerks, or autowerks, or something with bahn at the end of it.  Do you know of it?

There is a place in Green Brook, NJ off of 22 named Autobahn. I know nothing about them, but it might be the place you are talking about.
jet1
http://www.autobahnenterprises.com/

Here is their website. I found it when I was in the market for another 914 last year.
aturn
For everyone's knowledge...

Autobahn in Greenbrook, NJ on Rt 22E has been sold...found out this summer when I stopped in to inquire about Don's services...retiring. I went out back to scrap around but everything was pretty much junk and sivved through already. The 914-6 he had out back was being put back together for sale. Be forewarned. I saw it in midstream and though Don was a faithful custodian to helping 914's survive, this particular "restoration" was a rush job for the sake of a quick inflated sale. Also, at the time, he told me he was not using the original transmission and swapped in a side shift. Therefore, drivetrain is not even all orig. and who knows what else.
i love porsche
theres a shop around called european autoworks i think, if you pick up an issue of porscheforus (the NNJR pca magazine) theres a handful of shops advertised
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.