Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parking Brake Delete
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
Okay, here is a question.

I was thknking about the parking brake today, as I continue to stip my car. In the other three manual vehicles that I have driven, none of them have ever had a workgin parking brake. When I got to where I was going, I'd put the car in gear against the slope when ever I parked. Also, my uncle - who has only ever driven manual cars - never uses his parking brake - he just leaves his car in gear.

So, would doing a parking brake delete be bad? Or, rather would leaving the 901 tranny in either 1st or reverse (depending on the slope while parked) be bad? Taking out the hand brake, cables, etc would shed a few pounds (not much, granted) and make it easier to get in and out of the car. and have one less thing to refresh when putting the car back together.

I searched "parking brake delete" and found nothing. So, whay says the rest of the community.

Zach

Oh, the other manual vehicles were an 1980's vintage S-10 pickup, 1943 universal carrier, and a 1942 Chevy C-15 truck.
Series9
I don't have a parking brake and I leave the car in first (best leverage). I have no problems with this but I have a high compression (11.3:1) /6.

If you have a tired /4, it may not stay put.
goose2
I leave my car in gear too....the only thing to worry about is if someone hits your parked car you may get a broken gear, mount, or something. sad.gif
Mueller
and how did you plan on removing the parking brakes???

currently, doing so will leave you with NO rear brakes at all smile.gif

all in all, a bad idea and borderline stupid if a street car...

davep
All my cars over the past 30 years have had functioning parking brakes. I insist on it.
There was a thread recently on parking brakes / emergency brakes.
I do believe the laws everywhere require a functioning independant system for emergency use should the primary system fail.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Oct 22 2005, 12:12 PM)
So, would doing a parking brake delete be bad?

good luck getting it through the PA state vehicle inspection without one.
you might luck out a time or two but i wouldn't count on it forever...
bondo
QUOTE (914RS @ Oct 22 2005, 09:22 AM)
I don't have a parking brake and I leave the car in first (best leverage). I have no problems with this but I have a high compression (11.3:1) /6.

If you have a tired /4, it may not stay put.

My driveway is steep enough that a 4 will appear to be staying put, but then suddenly lurch 3-4" every 5-10 minutes. blink.gif

A functioning parking brake is a good thing. Besides, what happens if you need to changs spark plugs on the driveway? smile.gif
VaccaRabite
Well, Pa State inspection may be the best reason to keep it, then.

I just move in state a few months ago, and none of my cars have gone through the PA inpection yet, so I don't know what is needed here.

As to some fo the other things:
As to the no rear brakes - just pulling the handle and cables should leave the rear brakes in place. I've not no intentions of pulling out the rear brakes. You are right, that would be insanity.

"There was a thread recently on parking brakes / emergency brakes.
I do believe the laws everywhere require a functioning independant system for emergency use should the primary system fail. " Maybe, but a parking brake won't stop you. Locking one wheel is just meant to hold your car from rolling down a hill while parked. I'll try and find the thread and see what they say.

"A functioning parking brake is a good thing. Besides, what happens if you need to changs spark plugs on the driveway?" Pull the car into the garage and put it on jackstands, like any other sensible teener-owner. biggrin.gif

I suppose, though, that I will keep it and pretty it up for the inspections. Its a PITA getting out of the car when its engaged. I know it is supposed to go back down, but mine does not.

Besides, with a functional paring brake, I can pull drifter ebrake turns through school zones while drinking beer3.gif .

Zach

Andyrew
I generally keep a block of wood in the car...2x8 or 4x4 works good.

If I park on a hill, I will put it in 1st and put the block of wood on it.

Then again I have 8 cylanders, with 9.5 compression...
VegasRacer
I don't have a parking brake and I leave the car in first (best leverage). I have no problems with this

Just be careful when you park the Jetta on a steep slope. w00t.gif
Series9
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Oct 22 2005, 10:22 PM)
I don't have a parking brake and I leave the car in first (best leverage).  I have no problems with this

Just be careful when you park the Jetta on a steep slope. w00t.gif

That's completely true, but the parking brake didn't fail and it's a GTI.
MattR
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Oct 22 2005, 09:08 PM)
with 9.5 compression...

What does that have to do with anything?????? screwy.gif

Static compression has nothing to do with compression (as measuerd by gauge). Static compression is a calculation based on bore, stroke, deck height, and head capacity. The compression you're thinking of will be in the ~130 range on a fresh -4.

Why delete the parking brake? If it doesnt work, fix it. If you dont use it, just keep it there. But you're not saving any weight. The parts arent expensive in the parking brake system.
bondo
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Oct 22 2005, 09:43 PM)
Its a PITA getting out of the car when its engaged. I know it is supposed to go back down, but mine does not.

Only the early ones do that. They're interchangable though, so scare up one of those (70-72) and you're golden. (just make sure anyone who drives the car knows how it works.. ask jkeyzer) biggrin.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE (MattR @ Oct 22 2005, 10:33 PM)
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Oct 22 2005, 09:08 PM)
with 9.5 compression...

What does that have to do with anything?????? screwy.gif

Static compression has nothing to do with compression (as measuerd by gauge). Static compression is a calculation based on bore, stroke, deck height, and head capacity. The compression you're thinking of will be in the ~130 range on a fresh -4.

Why delete the parking brake? If it doesnt work, fix it. If you dont use it, just keep it there. But you're not saving any weight. The parts arent expensive in the parking brake system.

I didint deleye my brake... The button for the lever broke... and I havent got a replacement for it...

I dont park on any slope anyways...

as for 9.5... Joe said his, so I said mine... lol

sj914
Just ask sirandy about his adventure of his brakes going, then I think you'd steer away from deleting your e-brakes. Afterall there's a reason they call them emergency brakes.
porschenut
Get historic tags and you don't have to worry about inspection. Get one of those wheel chocks and tie a rope to it, should fit in the space where the handle used to be. Then put a set of front calipers on the rear.

The rear calipers are crap, adjusting the venting clearance and all that rot. Damn e-brakes never worked that well anyway. Try them sometime before you need them.
lapuwali
QUOTE (porschenut @ Oct 23 2005, 04:21 AM)
Get historic tags and you don't have to worry about inspection. Get one of those wheel chocks and tie a rope to it, should fit in the space where the handle used to be. Then put a set of front calipers on the rear.

The rear calipers are crap, adjusting the venting clearance and all that rot. Damn e-brakes never worked that well anyway. Try them sometime before you need them.

For me, they work much better than the engine in gear in holding the car still on my driveway. They also work much better than nothing at all when the brakes fail.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (porschenut @ Oct 23 2005, 04:21 AM)

Speaking of "crap"! That statement qualifies! The function and adjustment of the parking brake is only as good as the skill and knowledge of the person replacing the pads, setting the clearance, and servicing and adjusting the handbrake cables. Done properly, they work fine. The Cap'n
davep
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Oct 22 2005, 08:43 PM)
Maybe, but a parking brake won't stop you. Locking one wheel is just meant to hold your car from rolling down a hill while parked.

A properly set up parking / emergency brake will do the job, but it will take farther to stop. There are design rules for this that the manufacturers must comply with.
The two rear wheels are used, if only one was braked you would not be able to stop in a straight line, and that is a requirement.

Anyone saying the rear calipers are crap are full of stromberg.gif

If you don't know how to set up your brakes properly, either get someone who knows what they are doing to work on them or give it up.
Mueller
maybe I'm paranoid but look at it this way:

you have no parking/e-brake at all, your main brakes fail, you have an accident and kill someone, the investigators ask if you attempted to at least slow down with your e-brake? your response "I don't have any, I removed them"....well guess what? you can now be looking at a jail sentance...even if you don't go to jail, the legal costs could begin to mount pretty quickly....

sorry, but a judge won't by "they never worked anyways"
you tampered with a safety device that "might" have saved a life.....
pete-stevers
just a quick comment... keep the darn parking brake, unless you are tracking the car, I have a road car without parking brakes and will change them back this spring....it is a pain in the ass not having them....the only reasons i can see for not having a parking brake is
1 to cheap to fix them
2 track car
3 vented rear rotors,
Eric_Shea
3 vented rear rotors,

We've solved that problem too...
pete-stevers
Eric i will be talking to you bout my lack of rear ebrake ...will need a kit from you come christmas time...with cables and all..... biggrin.gif
davep
QUOTE (Mueller @ Oct 23 2005, 07:49 AM)
maybe I'm paranoid but look at it this way:

Mike

That is not paranoid, that is using good, old fashioned, common sense.
It seems like only1% of the population has it anymore. I guess that means it is no longer common.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.