Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oh crap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
YksKrad
Okay out at six flags with my girly, having fun time and all... my car kinda put a damper on the night. I have a list of new problems with my new 76 2.0 with a single weber carb.

1- No idleing... even once I got the car warmed up it wouldn't idle had to keep my foot on the pedle at all times to get home.
2- Anytime I put more than say 50% on teh pedle I got a crack
3- After the secondtime it cracked it backfired (never happened before)
4- Lurching even in gears as high as 4th (generally not that noticeable at that gear though) when only a lil gas was given
5-absolutely no attempt to slow the stall when I took my foot of the gas, the nedle simply dropped to zero... In the time it takes to take a shift my car was dieing.

I couldn't get ahold of anyone so I had to coax it home... The whole drive from Eureka to Imperial... No changes and ran fine at about 30% of my foot on the gas, was lucky to make all but one light (which was a down hill thankfully) So I only got 3 cracks and two backfires... The crack is like the sound of lighting, very similar to the sound of the backfire but not as deep.

So off the bat. Valve timing? Carb? Most likely Both and then something else?!?!?
SpecialK
Kind of sounds like your dizzy wasn't tight and slipped time. Check the simple stuff first.

Was it raining that night (don't know which night you were there)? Sometimes a hair line crack in the dizzy cap can cause real havoc if the humidity rises....to like 100%. I had a Suby years ago that just about drove me nuts with just such a problem, turned out to be a cracked cap. I've got a spare if you'd like to do some "parts swap troubleshooting" to figure out exactly what the problem is. I'll be home all day tomorrow, just call first so I can make sure we're not out walkin' the dog, or something when/if you stop by.

-Kevin
YksKrad
it was tonight the 22nd, so yay it's raining... If it's runable tomorrow I'll come by I called off work. I got on the club forums first thing when i got home.

Once again thanks! I owe you....more 051103-stupid4.gif

brp914
sounds ignition related - check for arcing between plug wires. if you watch it in the dark you may actually be able to see it. best get yourself a set of spares - you'll need'em eventually anyway and can use them as a test in these situations. I also agree with buzzard1 re: moisture and gunk in/around cap. good luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.