Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 BRAKES
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomas100
914 CLUB:
I have owned a 73 orig 2L w/185K miles - CA car for the last 14 years. Has been stored for 5 years dues to moving, etc. Prior to storage a 914-6 owner & I replaced the rotors, new 19mm master, SS lines & Ferrodo pads. I was never happy with the way the car stopped after that, it wasn't better than before.

Recently got the orig FUCHS polished & put on new KUMOS.
Got the 914 up & running last week - drained all fluids, gas, etc - rebled brakes. - after 25 miles of easy driving the brake pedal went to floor - obviously the rubber in the new master failed. I want to MAKE THE BRAKE SYSTEM AS GOOD AS POSSIBLE and STAY STOCK.

Any Ideas? aktion035.gif
gregrobbins
Porsche paid its engineers lots of money to design cars. I think you will find the stock brakes will work really well for street driving. You probably can not lock them up if you have wider than stock tires which will grip better, but you will stop plenty quick. If you want a little more stopping power, check out the article on the BMW 320i caliper conversiton on the Pelican web site. Some are concerned that the 320i calipers and our solid rotors can build up too much heat under frequent heavy braking like you would experience on the track. I would not worry about autocross as you have short amounts of run time and lots of waiting for the next run.

Now if you are looking for brakes for the track, then full 911 conversion to vented rotors and 19mm master cylinder seems to be the ticket.
dmenche914
Put Porterfield pads ont he fronts, stops like crazy!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (dmenche914 @ Oct 23 2005, 09:01 PM)
Put Porterfield pads ont he fronts, stops like crazy!

r4s compund baby!

smilie_pokal.gif
Eric_Shea
If your car had been sitting that long I would guess that your rear calipers are not working. They can easily get stuck in there and with the proportioning valve, there may not be enough pressure to free them up. The pads you have should be fine for what you're requesting. I do recommend the Porterfields as well but, I really don't think that's your problem.

I would:

1. Rebuild all the brakes. - Follow the link to my rebuilds below and you'll find a "Do-It-Yourself" link in there if you want to tackle the task yourself. You're welcome to call if you have any questions.
2. Get a new M/C. 17mm would be best for your "stock" request but the 19mm should be fine if you want to rebuild it.
3. Bleed. Bleed. Bleed. Bleed. Bleed. Bleed. Bleed. Bleed. Bleed. Bleed. Bleed. Bleed. Bleed. Bleed. Bleed. Bleed.

I'm guessing the rears may not be working and the fronts are probably having a tough time of it. 5 years sitting is a long time. A proper bleed job on a 914 is a must. It can take many tries. Many tries. Next time you get hoses, go back to stock.

Cap'n Krusty
Trash the SS hoses, replace the master cylinder, and bleed/flush the systrem. Go on from there. The Cap'n
lotus_65
welcome, newbie!

(allow me, please...)

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

biggrin.gif i always wanted to do that!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.