Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ss heat exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
qa1142
Are 2.0L ss heat exhangers still available anywhere? New?
Rand
Short answer: Yes.

I'm sure someone will post a source soon. Otherwise I'll dig up the catalogs I saw them in.
SirAndy
QUOTE (qa1142 @ Oct 23 2005, 04:27 PM)
Are 2.0L ss heat exhangers still available anywhere? New?

long answer: yes!

contact some of the usual resellers. even if they don't list them in their catalogs and
ask for the "SSI" stainless steel heat-exchangers.
those are the ones you want.
btw. john from SSI has still about 100 pairs of brand new 2.0L HE's sitting in his warehouse.
but he does not sell directly to the end user.

cool.gif Andy
qa1142
What kind of $$$?
SirAndy
QUOTE (qa1142 @ Oct 23 2005, 05:23 PM)
What kind of $$$?

no idea what they would be new. pelican still lists them but says they're "NLA" ...

call them up and tell them that john at SSI still has the 2.0L in stock. they should be able to get you a set ...
wink.gif Andy
brownaar
Will,
Any follow-up on this?

Aaron
qa1142
I talked with Brad Mayeur, he thinks they all went to vendor in Germany and really are NLA. The ones on Ebay just went for $192 + shipping ($105 to my area). I have a line on a nice set for $400.

Did you find anything?

Will
Brando
You can still buy SSI 6 heaters/exhaust manifolds (early style)... As for the 914 style... not 100% sure but I think so.
qa1142
Sure
I can see it now, but honey I have to convert it to a 6 all I can get is 6 cyl ssi heat exchangers

laugh.gif smoke.gif slap.gif alfred.gif
Verruckt
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the only difference that the 1.7&1.8's have the kickup where as the 2.0 heat exchangers do not?

So someone could use the 1.7/8 exchangers on a 2 liter providing that they also used the matching muffler?
qa1142
You are correct, and I have a set of 1.8L ss exchangers in perfect shape.

But if you are a perfectionist like me, when I change my 1.8L to 2.0L you buy 2.0L ss heat exchangers to "make it right" dry.gif

I even have case with sn in correct sequence for my car! huh.gif

Any one want to trade? beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
And the 1.7 (also 74 1.8) style SSIs have been NLA for years, now.

--DD
Verruckt
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Oct 26 2005, 05:34 PM)
And the 1.7 (also 74 1.8) style SSIs have been NLA for years, now.

--DD

Is the 74 1.8 unique somehow, or did you just use it for reference? I was under the impression that all 1.7/1.8 were the same.
Dave_Darling
The 75-76 cars (both the 1.8s and the 2.0s) used the same style of exhaust as each other, the awful crappy roundy-roundy-round system. The 74 1.8 used the same basic exhaust as the 1.7s did.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.