Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strange Oil Pump question???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CHAFF
Hi all, Anyone know why this looks torn? I have an oil leak and I'm wondering if its from this area?

Thanks
-L
CHAFF
-L
Aaron Cox
thats not your oil pump.

thats the sump. pull the bolt and there is an oil strainer behind it.

find a used one
CHAFF
but is there something that normally goes in here? Like a temp sensor?... I'm just wondering if that looks normal and something got torn off?
Aaron Cox
that is definitely abnormal. open it up and lets see what we find unsure.gif
ClayPerrine
That round plate is the oil strainer plate in the bottom of the sump. Something pushed it up into the pickup tube and the tube punched a hole in the plate. The only way to fix it is to pull the plate and replace it. It's also possible that the tube is broken too. If that's the case, then you have to disassemble the motor down to splitting the case halves to fix it.

Pull the sump plate and take more pictures, both inside and out.

CHAFF
Shit!.

Ok will do.

Thanks gents

-L
Dave_Darling
That doesn't look like the bottom of the pickup tube. It almost looks like something else was welded on there and then removed??

--DD
SGB
Uh....
if engine runs, but has a "leak" (not a GUSHER), with this piece o' sumthing hanging out, it SHOULDN'T be the oil return tube. That cover would be pushed WAY in to punch through the screen and cover. Does it run hot? Seems like an extension for a tuna can style sump, but that would be the pick-up tube then.....
I'm wondering if there is a screen at all. Be carefull on that one attaching bolt in the center, I understand you can pull it outa the case really easy.
CHAFF
it does look like something was welded on. I was thinking some sort of oil temp sensor. It looks like there was something there and now its gone. That's why I was wondering if its abnormal to see that weld there in the cover.

-L
Dave_Darling
That is definitely not normal! I'd seriously consider doing an oil change and dropping the sump plate so you can check out what the heck that is. Might be a good idea to have an unmodified/undamaged sump plate on hand when you do that, so you can put on one that hasn't been ****ed with.

--DD
CHAFF
K dudes, I forgot to get bring my camera but it turns out that there was a warmer element (120V coil) that was part of the sump cover. This outside part of the element had been ripped off and the inside part of it was rusting badly. I cut it out and welded the holes left over to seal it.

Thanks
-L
Mark Henry
I knew it was a block heater, or what's left of one...but you already figured that out smile.gif

Just get another sump plate...doubt if it's straight now and if you try to crank it down you can break the boss that the sump plate bolt hangs from. If you do that the case is scrap.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.