Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Supercharged type4?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BravoHotel
A few years back i saw an article in HotVW's about Dick Landy Ind and the supercharger kits they made for the type I. It used a small B&M supercharger w/ a 4bbl carb on top. Could this be made to work in the 914?

BH
airsix
Before anyone jumps in and says no, I'm going to say yes* it can.

*with enough ingenuity and cash.
redshift
I've seen 2 supercharged 914/4s, one was pics on the internet.

I'd do that long before I would turbo one, in fact if it was available as a kit.. I'd do it right now.

M
Mueller
yep, but why? carbs SUCK barf.gif

Superchargers By Corky Bell

My suggestion would be to buy this book, read it (twice at least), then be prepared to spend money !!!!

I'd love to have a supercharger, but the turbo seems easier smash.gif
Dave_Darling
I'd love to see pics of a supercharged 914 setup, and hear how well or poorly it has worked out!

The only reasonable way I can see of powering a supercharger is by converting the engine to upright cooling. That gives you room for a nice crank pulley that you can use to spin the charger. With the stock cooling system, all you have room for is a wimpy little belt that IMHO won't be able to transmit much power. And the blowers do indeed take power to run!!

There have been supercharged Type IV motors, but all the ones I've seen pics or and read about have been uprights.

--DD
tmp914
I have a 1990 issue of VW&Porsche with a B&M 66 cid roots type blower on a 914, very clean setup 170hp 0-60mid 7 sec quoted in article, for a carb it has a progressive weber 36. a place in Florida did install (this is back in 1990) RPM German Autowerks beerchug.gif
BravoHotel
tmp914,

anyway you could scan that article and e-mail to me or post here? I would love to read/see that article.

Thanks
BH
Joe Bob
Ummm, you can't supercharge a 914..... blink.gif
redshift
1st I've ever heard of that!

I know they can't be turbocharged.

M
Tom Perso
Here, drool over this...

IPB Image

Here's the link to the discussion about it.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=15

Moggy is the guy you want to talk to.

Later,
Tom
redshift
Honestly, that stuff doesn't look very dependable.

smile.gif

M
Tom Perso
Well, it blows the KISS principle out of the water completely.

Later,
Tom
JmuRiz
It sure doesn't look simple. There's got to be a better way to skin a cat. I'd think a turbo would be easier, since it's a small motor...not a lot of extra TQ to turn that blower idea.gif
BravoHotel
I realize that this is a type1, but why couldn't something like this be done... I mean how cosmic could it be as long as you had access to some fab/machine skills?
seanery
looks like you'd lose the engine lid with that one.
Will it all clear the firewall (front to back)?
BravoHotel
QUOTE(seanery @ Aug 14 2003, 07:09 AM)
looks like you'd lose the engine lid with that one.
Will it all clear the firewall (front to back)?

prolly lose the lid...don't know about firewall clearance
Randal
I'm sure you people have heard of the Judson Blower which was available, back in the dark ages, for a VW. A friend of mine had one that he installed on a VW in hours, not days. Don't think it was all that complicated to install and it fit under the bonnet.
Mueller
IMHO, that last picture of the carb'd blower install looks half assed....I'm sure it works, but there are many more elegant solutions than that.

Judson blowers work, but they are not very efficient.
(the vanes ride on the walls and create drag and heat)
Corky Bell and I had a chat a few years ago about them, we discussed how to improve up some of the design flaws, one of these days, I'd like to get back to that project.
BenNC
I saw a supercharged Type 4 on an A-mod car at an autocross last year. It put out lots of power, but they were spraying the heads with water to cool it off after a 45 second run
Millerwelds
For those diggin through the archives here is another setup

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
Holy carp blink.gif ...you dug up a thread from 2003

What are you? a fark'in archaeologist? lol-2.gif

IPB Image

We need a prize for the oldest dug up thread first.gif

IPB Image
porschetub
QUOTE(BravoHotel @ Aug 15 2003, 03:14 AM) *

I realize that this is a type1, but why couldn't something like this be done... I mean how cosmic could it be as long as you had access to some fab/machine skills?

Why even bother,the T4 is the last motor to do this with.
DBCooper
+1^^^ Couldn't agree more.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.