Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Interesting new F1 wing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
richardL
The F1 Commission finally met today, after a 15 month hiatus. They approved some interesting changes:

Qualifying, will now be a three round 'knockout' affair - first 20 cars, then the top 15, then the top 10 for 20 minutes, no limit on laps, no limit on tires.
Tires may be changed in the race again. In 2007, slicks will come back, probably from a single source (Bridgestone).

A new rear wing, intended to allow cars to get close through corners and hence help passing. Call the CDG for Centerline Downdraft Generating, it is split into two parts to allow air to flow straight back and down in the center:

Interesting idea.gif

Richard
Jeroen
I guess they feel A1 breathing in their neck biggrin.gif
richardL
The GP2 cars (which allow ground effects) seem to get very close and seem to be able to pass much more easily.

R
lapuwali
Yes, tunnels seem to produce much better "passing friendly" downforce than flat bottoms and big wings. Note that flat bottoms with a diffuser and a big rear wing produce huge downforce, but if the center section of the wing is removed, the diffuser ends up being vastly less efficient, so the cars will lose a huge amount of downforce, probably down to 10-15% of what they make now (so, 3000lbs down to 300lbs, so no more driving F1 cars on the ceiling jokes). With ground effects tunnels, they could have lots of downforce AND lots of passing, but since they banned tunnels in 1983, I guess the FIA just can't stomach the idea of re-allowing them.

All of this constant rules re-jiggering is also hugely expensive, which completely goes against their constant refrain of needing to cut costs, and make it easier for the smaller teams to compete. The teams will already need to totally redesign the cars for 2.4 V8s for '06, then they'll need to do it all again for new wings and slicks in '07.

The FIA is also requiring no more than one tire manufacturer in '07, which I think is a mistake. They're going to have spec cars within 5 years at this rate. There are some who state that's basically what they have now, so the difference between F1 and A1 is vanishing quickly. Too bad A1 races aren't televised in the US.
Sammy
I seriously doubt that the FIA woud pick bridgestone (Japan) over michelin (France) as a single source tire supplier.
I would expect just the opposite.
lapuwali
QUOTE (Sammy @ Oct 24 2005, 10:06 AM)
I seriously doubt that the FIA woud pick bridgestone (Japan) over michelin (France) as a single source tire supplier.
I would expect just the opposite.

Why is that? Michelin is on the FIA shit list for messing up Indy, which the FIA COMPLETELY blames Michelin for (rightly or wrongly). Michelin has also stated they're completely against the whole idea of only one tire manufacturer in F1. So, even if the FIA asked them, they'd probably say no. Bridgestone was already the single supplier prior to Michelin coming on, so they clearly don't mind being the only supplier.

Or are you still under the delusion that the FIA is rabidly pro-French just because it's based in Paris?
richardL
The reason I said Bridgestone is becuase Michelin have stated they don't want any part of a single control tire in F1. Bridgestone are happy to oblige. Apparently the vote for that was 19 of the 26 possible votes, which means that Bridgestone abstained, Michelin were not represented, and the teams split for and against - probably the Bridgestone teams for and the Michelin against. The 10 teams have 12 votes and the votes go either as a block if the super majority vote for something, or 6 - 6 if no super majority is achieved - very complex

Of course one implication of the new wing is that there will now be much less advertising space clearly visible on the cars, which will probably cost the teams money.

R
Dr. Roger
U call dat a wing???

Now this is a wing. =-)
jd74914
that is one sick pantera cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.