Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shock recommendation needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AndrewBlyholder
Now that I have a separate 914's for the track and the street, I'd like to make my street 914 ride a little softer. While the stock springs and torsion bars are loosey-goosey at an AX, they are still very stiff for typical, poorly maintained CA streets. So I'm looking for shocks that will smooth out the ride the most. I currently have red Konis on the car, and it feels too harsh too me. What is the consensus for most smoothly riding shock option? Bilsteins? KYB? Boge? (I think that's the whole list of what's available.)

Thanks,

Andrew
Aaron Cox
bilsteins with 140lb'ers makes for a NICE ride
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (AndrewBlyholder @ Oct 24 2005, 05:57 PM)
...stiff for typical, poorly maintained CA streets.

drive a week in the NorthEast and it will change your perspective on "poorly maintained" streets ...

but as always, my vote goes to Bilstein in the "standard" valving if your ride height is anywhere near stock spec. ('Sport' if it is lowered a lot.)
Bleyseng
Boge's in the front and Bilsteins in the back make for a nice ride. Spring rate in the back I prefer a 140lb atleast to control the car if you have HP tires on there.
Dave_Darling
Boges for a nice stock-type ride. Though Rich at HPH mentioned that they used "Kontrolle" (sp?) on one end and Boges on the other. I forget which was which--it's been many many years since I worried about new stock-type shocks... But talk to Rich!

Umm, or buy Boges from Pelican.

--DD
grantsfo
I think a good set of 60 series tires and bilstiens with 100 lb springs would tame our streets.
SGB
I vote Bilstien- since i put those on I get a much smoother ride, better rebound control, firm transitions...All around a great improvement, I think it is moneywell spent. Forless coin,the Boge are top. When new, the behaviour is pretty much like the Bils.
Trekkor
Andrew, are your Koni reds adjustable like the Koni yellows?

As modified as my suspenion is, the yellows on full soft are great.

KT
billswim
Andrew,

I'll second or third the suggestion for Bilsteins and I'll even get you a great rpice.

LMK

See you Saturday
Brando
For best comfort...

Boges or Koni yellows on full soft, 150lb springs in the rear, swaybars all around, stock tortion bars in the front A-Arms.
Jeroen
QUOTE (trekkor @ Oct 25 2005, 04:58 AM)

The reds should be adjustable
Maybe not externally like the yellow (so you may have to take them off the car to change their settings)
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Oct 26 2005, 07:54 AM)
QUOTE (trekkor @ Oct 25 2005, 04:58 AM)

The reds should be adjustable
Maybe not externally like the yellow (so you may have to take them off the car to change their settings)

red are external adjustable. old reds werent.

AndrewBlyholder
Trekkor - yes, the reds I have are the old style that are adjustable, but not externally so. You have to twist the shaft when it's at full compression to adjust. Not so hard on the front, but requires taking the springs off them on the rear to get it done.

I've been driving around with the Koni yellows on full soft, but found that too stiff. Mostly what I don't like is all the noise the car makes going over rough roads - lots of squeaks, groans, and other misc. vibrations. Maybe it would make all that noise regardless of shocks, but I though I'd try something different. Age and miles on the chassis might be more the issue here than the shocks.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Any one got a used set of Bilsteins or Boges to sell?

Andrew

ovilla
Bilsteins with 140lb springs and Yoks all around, plus at least a front swaybar. This is as close to gokart performance and a caddie ride as you're ever going to get.
Jeroen
QUOTE (AndrewBlyholder @ Oct 29 2005, 02:30 AM)
Mostly what I don't like is all the noise the car makes going over rough roads - lots of squeaks, groans, and other misc. vibrations. Maybe it would make all that noise regardless of shocks, but I though I'd try something different.

what are you using for suspension bushings?
bd1308
so when did KYBs get on the market?

were they part of standard issue?

i have some and ride is pretty tight....and rough.

SGB
KYBs have ben around thirty years at least- they are the cheapest of the gas shocks, which were at least marketed as being an improvement over oil filled shocks- like the Boges may still be... and the bilstiens are gas as well, But the KYBs just ride like rocks. All the cars came with Boge shocks.
Korijo
the reds on full soft are softer than yellows.

bilstiens on the van, but reds on the 914.
boxstr
Koni's, turbo tie rods and a four wheel alignmet. Thats what the doctor ordered.
CCLINSHOCKINGISNTIT
Eric_Shea
Why buy anything?

Use your reds on full soft all the way around. Makes for an excellent firm/comfortable ride.
AndrewBlyholder
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Oct 28 2005, 07:47 PM)
QUOTE (AndrewBlyholder @ Oct 29 2005, 02:30 AM)
Mostly what I don't like is all the noise the car makes going over rough roads - lots of squeaks, groans, and other misc. vibrations.  Maybe it would make all that noise regardless of shocks, but I though I'd try something different.

what are you using for suspension bushings?

[QUOTE]

Standard stock rubber. Now that I think about it, some of my harsh ride might be coming from bushings that have hardened up. Replacing the bushings all around might help things.

Andrew
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.