Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tilton pull clutch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
meursault
So, the overwrought 7 1/4" tilton clutch and prototype adapted flywheel/ diaphragm. It's awaiting another trial on the car.

I think we're all sick of this thing. Hope it works.
meursault
another view
meursault
another. Three disks, eh?
meursault
the flywheel
914Timo
VAU !!!! That looks nice pray.gif
Brad Roberts
Hayden and I discussed this exact clutch late last week (Thursday).

I'm betting it holds up for you.

B
TMorr
Marc,

Thanks for the pics.
I am less optimistic than Brad - but what you have is at least a complete assembly.
Whatever happens next , good -or- bad, should be accepted as the normal path for this type of experimental project. Next data point,......next data point,..... look!... we're heading towards a data curve!!

Good luck,

Regards

Hayden PTBT
MJHanna
Looks like a heavy flywheel
MJHanna
Clutch Assy
Mueller
Marc and MJHanna,

Can you describe in detail what you are running there and why?

Marc, why the trial and error? Are you playing with a new combination?

Too me it looks like an alum. flywheel with a steel disc attached for the clutch surface (I like the idea of the replaceble disc, if MJ's flywheel surface gets damaged, it looks more costly to replace that one component on Marcs, but I'm guessing that the initial price of Marc parts are much more.)

I'll shut up now smile.gif
MJHanna
Mine is a Tilton Rally pack. This combo will hold together up to about 500HP. (I’m not running that much with my current engine) but the car has had that much HP in it in a past life. My trans is a G50 modified with the Tilton throwout bearing and starter. To go back to a ‘stock setup” would be more costly than to run the Tilton. Tilton is good for a track car but would suck for the street. (They don’t like to be slipped)
MJHanna
Mine is a Tilton Rally pack. This combo will hold together up to about 500HP. (I’m not running that much with my current engine) but the car has had that much HP in it in a past life. My trans is a G50 modified with the Tilton throwout bearing and starter. To go back to a ‘stock setup” would be more costly than to run the Tilton. Tilton is good for a track car but would suck for the street. (They don’t like to be slipped)
meursault
I'll try to explain what's going on with this clutch. It's not something I'm working on nor is it for my car. It's intended as a bolt-in replacement for a stock pull clutch arrangement on a 915 gearbox.

Problem is that Tilton doesn't offer a pull clutch, so my father is trying to put something together to reverse the clutch action.

There's some trial-and-error to this process---testing different diaphragms, setting distances between the discs, etc.

This is one of several possible solutions to the problem. My father tends to believe--rationally or irrationally--that pull clutches are superior to push clutches. We might have already been done with this project by now had we chosen among these other options:

1. Hydraulic throwout bearing (Like MJHanna's setup) with tilton push clutch

2. 912E throwout fork arrangement with tilton push clutch

3. two, instead of three discs, with pull clutch adaptations

The new shop car is a supercup 993 with this amazingly small tilton clutch--the 5" setup, I believe--and the hydraulic throwout bearing to operate it. If I had my druthers, I'd try to do the same on the 914.

MJHanna has an interesting take on the tilton setup--relocating the starter and running a smaller ring gear. You no longer need all that flywheel surface anyway, so why not?
Brad Roberts
Hey Mark... I recognize those goodies..

B
meursault
Hey Mark... I recognize those goodies..

Eh? What do you mean?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.