Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5-lugs, wheel sizes and flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
I have been working out the details and specs for a 3.2 conversion. I would like to run big enough tires, but maybe not sure about the GT flare looks. A little throttle steer won't bother me, but I do want good to very good grip.

What size tires will fit under a rolled fender lip or are there also smaller flares for the rear? 15x7, 16x7? 205/??/?? tires?

How have most of you done the rear 5-lug conversion? I have an early 914 which Pelican says can be drilled out to 5-lug. What options do I have?

Thanks,
boxsterfan
campbellcj
There are previous threads that cover some of these Q's that you might want to review.

My personal favorite setup for the stock-fendered cars is 16x7 Fuchs with 205/45 thru 205/55 tires (I have the 205/45 Hoosier R3S03's right now.) 15" wheels are also a very popular choice, but 205/50R15 tires will have a significant gearing effect that not everybody likes.

The redrilled rear hub approach is the most common conversion method for 5-lug. I went the "factory" approach with repro stub axles, early 911 hubs, and 914-6 rear rotors. I also replaced the CV axle assemblies at the same time.
Jeffs9146
5-lug thread

here is a thread, I will try to find one with the flare options

Rabbit Flares

911 Flares

Thats enough for now!

Jeff
SirAndy
i don't know if there are smaller flares as the GT's unless you go with rabbit flares.
i have 15x7 under the GT flares and used spacers to bring the tires out.
i run 225/50 x 15 all around.
with stock GT flares, you can run up to 9" wide wheels with max 285/45 x 15 (depending on the offset of the wheel)

Andy
Qarl
Hmmmm.....

http://www.my914-6.com/for_sale.htm

And I wil have front Carrera calipers and rotors available very soon as well!!!
boxsterfan
Thanks for all the great info! Who has got a tranny calculator so I can get a feel for speed and RPM with different tire sizes?
Andyrew
As far as flares, I could run 225's in the rear with pulling (although the door gaps wont quite like me). but what I am going to do is cut a line across the top of the fender, then pull the fender out to the desired amount then weld the gap together with more sheetmetal. That will allow me to use 225's with spacers if I so desire, for when I want to put more meat on the back or different wheels. And with your engine, I would think that 225 + would be a good thing, maybe even 245's. Just remember, the biger the meats on the back, (with the correct supplyed power) the bigger the coolness factor is! cool.gif
Brad Roberts
Go here for some our gear cal. Excel sheets.

Gears here..

B
914Timo
About gearing, listen what Chris said. If you are going to use stock 914/901 gearbox, you dont want to use for example 205/50/15 tires. The gearing is way too short (BTDT). The first gear is nearly useless, but the second is IMHO a little too tall to use as first gear even with six.

Now I have 205/55/16 tires on 7x16 wheels and I am pretty satisfied. The speedometer is very accurate and it shows in fifth gear in 3000 rpm 120 km/h, about 75 mph.

After driving couple of hunreds miles with my new tires the only thing I could chance now are the front tires. I think now I would choce 205/50/16 tires in front. The 55 profile is a little too high in front.
John Kelly
Hi Boxsterfan,

You can make almost any size flare you want following a simple technique that I've developed. You can stretch the fenders out 1/2" and blend the stretch so that no one can tell it is stretched (without screwing up your door gaps), or you can go a little wider as in the attached picture of an unfinished flare. No cutting or welding. No expensive tools. You can follow along as we do the community flare project which starts this weekend, or drive up to Seattle and learn in person while helping out. I am in the process of making a detailed video while flaring Zach's 914 (pictured). This car will be at the flare party if it is not raining. More pictures later.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
John Kelly
Hi Andyrew,

The method you describe will not give much if any clearance without distortion.

It sounds as if you want the shoulder area (top) of the fender out further than the flare I've pictured. This is easy to accomplish by simply stretching the top of the fender more with the hammer and bag, and then blending that shape into the area over the wheel opening.

You do not even need my video to get a decent job this way. The video just makes it easier and also makes it possible for you to do it without filler if you desire. If you wanted to, you could use just a ballpeen hammer and nothing else....you would have some changing of the door gaps by not backing up the hammer with a shotbag or shot dolly ($15), but it would still be better than cutting and welding. It is also not too difficult to make a 2x4 with the proper angle on it to fit inside the rear quarter...pound on it with a hammer to get the door gap back to where it was. I've been flaring cars for a long time, and the ballpeen, and shot dolly method is by far the best way I've come up with yet. I prefer it even to the flares that I make for sale. Just a lot easier to do.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
boxsterfan
The 205/55/16's sound good with 3000RPM at 75mph. What size are those there tires in the pic?

Anyone in the 914Club in the local Phoenix PCA? I am not a PCA member, but I believe the club is showing at the Pavillion's soon. Would like to see some of the different tire combo's for those with the *monster* rears. aktion035.gif
Mike9142.0
I was a member last year but let it go. I could not see paying almost $70 for what I got out of it. And losing my car last november did not help.
boxstr
255/40/17 rears with a 1 inch spacer, and 215/45/17 fronts, no spacer.
CCLINJLOVILLE
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.